Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
justinsamberg

Drives: 2015 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
I also have them and for the money much better value than Trofeo's - they do everything well, but wet - since you are in S. Cal like me - I think this is your best overall option for the money.
I wish I read this before I purchased another set of trofeos. I was told that the trofeo would provide the best over all traction then the good year eagle 3R.

That's What I get for trusting a salesmen at a tire shop called " P-ZERO WORLD"

I cant lay the power down, coming out of turn and it sounds like this tire will help with that.

Next time i'll buy the good years!
Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM   #16
ca_z28

Drives: 2014 Z/28
I'm curious what people's experience is with the RE71R and it compares to some of the other track tires? I have a friend who says it performs better than cup 2's on his Porsche GT4.
ca_z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #17
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsamberg View Post
I wish I read this before I purchased another set of trofeos. I was told that the trofeo would provide the best over all traction then the good year eagle 3R.

That's What I get for trusting a salesmen at a tire shop called " P-ZERO WORLD"

I cant lay the power down, coming out of turn and it sounds like this tire will help with that.

Next time i'll buy the good years!
Trofeos are a great tire and really no way to tell without 2 sets of wheel at the track and running back to back on same day to see what the benefits of each are. My guess is each has its strengths.

That being said the 3R also offers value being much less expensive - so to that end - seems like a win - win!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:48 PM   #18
MylesPH

Drives: ‘15 Z/28 550/1801, AC/Radio, Black
I figure the Z has, maybe, enough tread life to last either the summer, or of course, to the end of one track day at Buttonwillow . I’m not far from the P Zero World location on Santa Monica Boulevard, but I bet they charge way too much all around compared to most tire shops. Lots of exotics coming in and out there, at least they’d probably be well equipped to deal with expensive wheels and big tires.

But all around, if the Good Year is what the current 1LE ZL1 comes with, forgetting any brand loyalty, it’s the latest compatible high performance tire, and I’d assume they have some advantages because of that. If Pirelli releases a new DOT competition tire I’d look seriously at that, but for now I’m guessing I’ll be ordering the Supercups around July.
MylesPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #19
VOIT

Drives: Z/28
Goodyear Tires, hmm, they’ve must of come along way. IMO in the past they were not up to the task. I’ve always pulled them off and went with a Michelin or a Pirelli. I stayed away from GY altogether. I need tires for my Z, I’d like to buy soon, from the sound of every one who’s commented the 3R is close to the Trefeo R for track day events. Our cars share the same basic size and weight (ZL1/1LE vs Z/28) so the tire is a better overall value, a great crossover and cheaper too is a plus! The 3R’s weight is more per tire but I’m not out there racing trying to get 10 10th’s from the car. I am seriously considering the 3R's.
VOIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:40 PM   #20
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOIT View Post
Goodyear Tires, hmm, they’ve must of come along way. IMO in the past they were not up to the task. I’ve always pulled them off and went with a Michelin or a Pirelli. I stayed away from GY altogether. I need tires for my Z, I’d like to buy soon, from the sound of every one who’s commented the 3R is close to the Trefeo R for track day events. Our cars share the same basic size and weight (ZL1/1LE vs Z/28) so the tire is a better overall value, a great crossover and cheaper too is a plus! The 3R’s weight is more per tire but I’m not out there racing trying to get 10 10th’s from the car. I am seriously considering the 3R's.
Goodyear has always had a good, if not great, track tire. For years and years back in the 1990s all we ran on track was their GSCS... it was their answer to what was at the time the BFG R1. It was comprable to a Hoosier R compound. It was a fantastic "R" comp tire that was just a step downfrom a slick. I have not mounted a set of 3Rs yet, but I am certain it'll kick a$$ and I am looking forward to running them once I burn through the new Trofeos I have mounted on a 2nd set of wheels.
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #21
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
These are the supercar 3rs; 305 all four corners.

VIR: 2:04.4

Dominion: 1:31.9
(I corded them that day so they were end of life too)

This is Track Cross on the Trofeos - through the big esses the Trofeos were already a second slower.... just can't put the power down early like the Supercar 3r.

Just some videos to help you see how the different tires perform.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #22
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
Can't wait to try them- great value. Just have to resist the 315 Hoosier R7! Gotta keep telling myself to save the $750 bucks for a three day tire!!!
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #23
MylesPH

Drives: ‘15 Z/28 550/1801, AC/Radio, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
These are the supercar 3rs; 305 all four corners.

(Snip)

That’s pretty convincing

I thought that if the ZL1 LE uses the Good Years, it’s because the development team felt they were superior performers to the Pirellis. The vids seem to support that assumption..
MylesPH is offline   Reply With Quote