Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Camaro storage

Hey guys I know some of you guys only drive your cars part of the year. I just got a work vehicle so I don’t need to drive my car everyday anymore. If I just didn’t drive it all winter what’s the best steps? Flip side, if I did and just drive it on weekends do I need to do anything? Should I still do oil changes every 6 months regardless of mileage? Or just drive it like normal? Thanks!
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
If you drive it from time to time just drive it. There is no need to do anything. Just make sure that when you’re driving it that the engine always gets warm.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Magnum922

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, A8
I through an agm battery maintainer on it if I let it sit 2 weeks or more. I left it set a month before and it's fine but I just like to make sure.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
If you drive it from time to time just drive it. There is no need to do anything. Just make sure that when you’re driving it that the engine always gets warm.
Not just warm, do 20 to 30 minutes...... to burn off all the condensation/gases that's in the oil. If you can't do 20 to 30 minutes, don't start the car.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum922 View Post
I through an agm battery maintainer on it if I let it sit 2 weeks or more. I left it set a month before and it's fine but I just like to make sure.
I’ll keep that in mind, thanks!
Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Not just warm, do 20 to 30 minutes...... to burn off all the condensation/gases that's in the oil. If you can't do 20 to 30 minutes, don't start the car.
Is that for a really extended period?? I just got my other vehicle so I’ve driven it a few times and just let it run for like 5+ minutes while I got ready to leave. I imagine the most it would sit is 5 days at a time, just during the week.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Is that for a really extended period?? I just got my other vehicle so I’ve driven it a few times and just let it run for like 5+ minutes while I got ready to leave. I imagine the most it would sit is 5 days at a time, just during the week.
Not starting it is the procedure when you're putting it away for the winter, not when you're occasionally using it. you get condensation in the oil when the car goes down for months , not weeks or days.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Not starting it is the procedure when you're putting it away for the winter, not when you're occasionally using it. you get condensation in the oil when the car goes down for months , not weeks or days.
Okay, thanks! Just wanted to verify. Thanks for the responses guy, appreciate it.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:27 AM   #9
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
This comes up all the time.

I'm one of those New England guys who has been putting my Camaro away for 6 months since 2010. I do it because I don't want to expose the car to salt.

The most important step is using a battery tender. The next most important step is DON'T START THE CAR unless you are really going out for a long drive. Otherwise you will have a lot of water building up in the exhaust and even in the engine.

Then there are the best practices, like changing the oil shortly before storage, putting STA-BIL in the fuel, and boosting the tire pressure above normal.

Also, make sure there's no food or crumbs in the car and use professional pest control to keep your garage free of rodents.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #10
Northern Sixgen

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS Convertible
Do you disconnect the battery(negative cable) ? Or is this a waste of time. I disconnect the battery and then throw a tender on the battery to make sure it stays charged.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #11
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Just put a tender on it and be done. Anything else is an overkill and unneeded.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
Northern Sixgen

Drives: 2016 Summit White 2SS Convertible
Will it hurt anything to leave negative disconnected, while on tender, for the winter? Won't mess with the custom tune or anything else will it?
Old 11-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sixgen View Post
Will it hurt anything to leave negative disconnected, while on tender, for the winter? Won't mess with the custom tune or anything else will it?
There is no reason at all to disconnect the battery if you have a tender on it.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #14
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
There is no reason at all to disconnect the battery if you have a tender on it.
Exactly. When you connect to a battery tender, the battery can stay connected, which it needs to. When you disconnect the battery, the OnStar emergency battery takes over that function and is soon depleted.

By the way, you can and should connect the battery tender to the terminals in the engine compartment, not directly to the battery in the trunk.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote