Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-12-2023, 03:01 PM   #15
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
I saw Callaway cuts the bottom of the air box completely open, maybe Yenko does the same?
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980
swisstyphoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 04:00 PM   #16
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
A oiled RotoFab will keep the dirt particles out. That’s what I’m running on my ZL1.
Old 08-12-2023, 05:55 PM   #17
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I think the oiled gauze filters may do a decent job on filtering out larger particles, but silica can still make it through. Hold a light on one side of the filter and look closely. You can see small voids in the gauze.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 07:34 PM   #18
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I think the oiled gauze filters may do a decent job on filtering out larger particles, but silica can still make it through. Hold a light on one side of the filter and look closely. You can see small voids in the gauze.
Unfortunately, you're wrong. Have you had an oil sample done by Blackstone Labs? I have one done on my vehicles EVERY oil change. In the last 7 years that I've run oiled cotton filters on my performance vehicles, my wear numbers look just as good as any paper filter vehicles. Oiled cotton works incredibly well.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 08-14-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 08:17 PM   #19
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstyphoon View Post
I saw Callaway cuts the bottom of the air box completely open, maybe Yenko does the same?
Here’s the clip from the Whipple instructions for what it’s worth:
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2023, 12:59 AM   #20
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Has anyone seen one of these 1000 hp+ amateur drag racers running big turbo (s) mounted sideways in their grill with the inlet to the compressor blades completely exposed with no filter or even a wire mesh screen of any kind to block gravel and other debris being sucked straight into the turbo? I never understood this and assume these turbos and engines don’t last long, but they look really cool and daring and make + 10 hp with no filter so it’s worth it :-)

Here is a mild version, at least not protruding through grille, it’s under hood…

And here is twin turbo with wire mesh turbo covers they call "filters" on the compressor inlet...
Attached Images

Last edited by SFV1LE; 08-13-2023 at 02:22 AM.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:58 PM   #21
Kamero6

Drives: 6th Gen LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Highly unlikely unless you live in the desert and like to drive your ZL1 across the dunes. If this were the case, no aftermarket filter company would be in business today.
I live in a big city and use the highway every day. My engine bay is full of sand and dust.
They keep selling those filters for the same reason the extended warranties that call you are still in business. People buy into their marketing.

Now, I'm not against the performance filters. Just give me a decent dry paper filter, conic, flat, any shape, with proper filtering and I'm ok. I don't buy the idea of the Oiled K&N washabe for life...

Here's proof of what I'm saying:

The airflow gains go away after some dust sticks to it. And you then have terrible filtering and no benefit in airflow.
Kamero6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 02:09 PM   #22
Kamero6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Has anyone seen one of these 1000 hp+ amateur drag racers running big turbo (s) mounted sideways in their grill with the inlet to the compressor blades completely exposed with no filter or even a wire mesh screen of any kind to block gravel and other debris being sucked straight into the turbo? I never understood this and assume these turbos and engines don’t last long, but they look really cool and daring and make + 10 hp with no filter so it’s worth it :-)

Here is a mild version, at least not protruding through grille, it’s under hood…

And here is twin turbo with wire mesh turbo covers they call "filters" on the compressor inlet...
Right out of high school, one of my friends rebuilt his engine, and ran a bigger carb. He didn't like the air filter, and it sounded better without it, so he just drove the car without it.

His car was fast, he had a cam and headers. After a year or so, he might have done 5 to 7k miles and he was the slowest of us all. He went to get all checked with his builder and the engine was toast. Valve seats and cylinder walls were gone, compression was low. He had to rebuild it again.
After that he installed a "performance" air filter.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:33 PM   #23
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamero6 View Post
I live in a big city and use the highway every day. My engine bay is full of sand and dust.
They keep selling those filters for the same reason the extended warranties that call you are still in business. People buy into their marketing.

Now, I'm not against the performance filters. Just give me a decent dry paper filter, conic, flat, any shape, with proper filtering and I'm ok. I don't buy the idea of the Oiled K&N washabe for life...

Here's proof of what I'm saying:

The airflow gains go away after some dust sticks to it. And you then have terrible filtering and no benefit in airflow.
So I'll say again instead of watching random Youtube videos with their own agendas. Have your oil checked by Blackstone Labs at 3k miles using your paper filter then switch it with an oiled cotton air filter for 3k miles and have your oil checked again, I'm willing to bet you will find little no difference in wear values in the oil. I've been running oiled cotton filters in my performance vehicles for the last 7 years and have my oil checked by Blackstone Labs every oil change, there is no significant wear values in the oil that is outside the standard and none of my vehicles performance has degraded over the years. Blackstone checks every metal in the engine none of them show and signs of unusual wear.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 08-14-2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:00 PM   #24
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
So I'll say again instead of watching random Youtube videos with their own agendas. Have your oil checked by Blackstone Labs at 3k miles using your paper filter then switch it with an oiled cotton air filter for 3k miles and have your oil checked again, I'm willing to bet you will find little no difference in silica in the oil. I've been running oiled cotton filters in my performance vehicles for the last 7 years and have my oil checked by Blackstone Labs every oil change, there is no silica in the oil that is outside the standard and none of my vehicles performance has degraded over the years. Blackstone checks every metal in the engine none of them show and signs of unusual wear.
I’m not getting into the air filter argument as I as well am not a fan of oiled filters especially in dusty environments. I worked for a major filtration company for 15 years and I wouldn’t run them (in that use case). For a toy car that will likely die due to performance upgrades then contamination wear I wouldn’t worry about it (unless in a dust bowl).

However oil analysis is a direct result of the oil filter not the air filter. I don’t see the correlation there. These larger particles (silica dust in air) will absolutely be removed by the engine oil filter (~10-25 micron). Keep in mind you can’t see below 40.
Old 08-13-2023, 04:11 PM   #25
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome383Z View Post
I’m not getting into the air filter argument as I as well am not a fan of oiled filters especially in dusty environments. I worked for a major filtration company for 15 years and I wouldn’t run them (in that use case). For a toy car that will likely die due to performance upgrades then contamination wear I wouldn’t worry about it (unless in a dust bowl).

However oil analysis is a direct result of the oil filter not the air filter. I don’t see the correlation there. These larger particles (silica dust in air) will absolutely be removed by the engine oil filter (~10-25 micron). Keep in mind you can’t see below 40.

The oil filter will catch large particles but it doesn't catch everything hence why you see different results in oil samples. If there's silica in your oil, you'll see it in the wear values of the oil sample.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 08-14-2023 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:01 PM   #26
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'm sticking with the stock air box on my ZL1. As usual, I'm siding with the GM engineers vs the aftermarket sales people. There's a history of problems with oiled filters, and the stock airbag is also designed to minimize water ingestion.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 05:27 PM   #27
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I'm sticking with the stock air box on my ZL1. As usual, I'm siding with the GM engineers vs the aftermarket sales people. There's a history of problems with oiled filters, and the stock airbag is also designed to minimize water ingestion.
LOL, the sky is falling!
Old 08-13-2023, 06:44 PM   #28
Kamero6

If we talk about oiled, whashable, for life air filter... this is the real deal