Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #113
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I think your vision would push the Camaro too far up-market, perhaps past the point of sustainability.

That's well outside the realm of sports cars, up into supercar territory. Sports car driving should remain more about the driver doing the driving than about the car sanitizing it all for him.

I have an AWD car, and it's even turbocharged. But there are driving situations that it is poorly suited for that cannot be compensated for by stronger launches and better straightline acceleration once the boost comes up. I've had over 8 years to "get used to it" and I still don't like the way I have to predict when the boost is going to come in when I want to start accelerating out of a turn. Then again, that probably doesn't matter when the only things a person can relate engine power to are the 0 - 60 and ET stats.

Norm
Years ago i never thought there would be a Camaro with a eLSD and Mag suspension for under $45K that would put down track times with a Ferrari either , with AL O in charge sh!t happens.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #114
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I chose none of the above. When I was prompted for a response, I chose the LT5 and the upcoming DOHC V8s (LT6?).

2020 and 2024 are emission years.

Much to the chagrin of the automotive enthusiast/purist, the recent golden age of powerful V8s may soon disappear. In the scheme of things; there are many more tree huggers than HP/TQ addicts. The huggers and a government that is rapidly losing regard for individual liberty will certainly have their way sooner than later. What most of us appreciate as an ethereal and aural experience from a powerful internal combustion motor will eventually become a thing of the past. Sad.

More emission controls and GG taxes are coming. Get your V8s now my friends.

20-30 years from now, the next generation will be burdened with processing and disposing of hundreds of thousands of toxic and caustic 1/2 and 3/4 ton batteries. Most of which (ironically) were charged with energy created by nuclear fission and burning fossil fuels.

They too will wonder; what the heck were they thinking then.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #115
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
And that in stop n go traffic means what? So, you want to be 1 sec. faster to the next red light?
Well based on MrRuss post that I was replying to then maybe.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #116
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Wouldn't a electric hybrid turbo fix that lag issue ?
It might, though at some costs in weight and complexity . . . with more than likely poor compatibility with conventional manual transmissions.

Norm
Old 08-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #117
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
>6k lbs?

It's just as fast as the Highlander, but much slower than a Pilot.
We drove all 3 the same day and it was no contest, the Mazda was better in every way. Maybe the torque was skewing the butt dyno. We were actually going for the Infinity QX60 first till I found out it has a CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
Mazda CX9 weighs 4200 lbs.
…..Alright, alright, I was going by (faulty) memory but I was still closer. Where'd you get 4200 lbs? my Mazda 6 sedan was 4200... 5661 is still dang heavy for a 4 banger, turbo or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post

Maybe the wife is >2000 lbs?
LOL, thank god the wife will never see this. You posted it, but I would be the one getting yelled at.

Actually she is all of 5 foot nothin and 125 soaking wet... I try not to make her mad, she may be little but she scares me....

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #118
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
Chevy will offer a button / knob to turn it off for the 2019 Cruze. They better have the same for the Camaro.
Maybe not. My Lacrosse doesn't have a button. Mrs. Number 3's ATS does. It depends on if they need the stop/start to be included in the EPA rating or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post
We drove all 3 the same day and it was no contest, the Mazda was better in every way. Maybe the torque was skewing the butt dyno. We were actually going for the Infinity QX60 first till I found out it has a CVT.

…..Alright, alright, I was going by (faulty) memory but I was still closer. Where'd you get 4200 lbs? my Mazda 6 sedan was 4200... 5661 is still dang heavy for a 4 banger, turbo or not.

LOL, thank god the wife will never see this. You posted it, but I would be the one getting yelled at.

Actually she is all of 5 foot nothin and 125 soaking wet... I try not to make her mad, she may be little but she scares me....
LOL GVWR isn't the weight of the vehicle, but the RATING of the vehicle. Funny story, we had a couple reportedly have their Pontiac Solstice bought back because the man and his wife's weight in the car exceeded the GVWR.

Think of GVWR - Vehicle Weight as basically payload.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:30 PM   #119
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Ahh yes, I was confusing GVWR and curb weight...……..my bad.

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #120
Mr Carrots

Drives: Bmw for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
Buy your V8’s now.
yup, we got a 4 year pause on the War on Internal Combustion but come 2020 there's a chance the plan to force all gas engines to make 54 MPG is going to come back with a vengeance - and go into overdrive

lol @ the 2024 ZL1 with a hybrid 4 cylinder and 500lbs of additional electric motors to break
Mr Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:23 PM   #121
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
and tons of waste from bad batteries with a half life of 10,000 years.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:10 AM   #122
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Years ago i never thought there would be a Camaro with a eLSD and Mag suspension for under $45K that would put down track times with a Ferrari either , with AL O in charge sh!t happens.

Exactly!!

I agree that super car territory is a bit of a stretch but then again, the capability and price point of the 1LE lineup was unthinkable just a few years ago...and yet here we are.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #123
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post
Ahh yes, I was confusing GVWR and curb weight...……..my bad.
Yeah...a new Mazda 6 probably weighs all of but 3,300lbs. The CX9 maybe closer to 4,000 to 4,200 is my guess.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #124
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LTLoveIt View Post
Hi,

I got an email from GM on my new car purchase, specific to engine choices. It was a survey and when it got to the engine choices there were 2 4 cylinder options and 3 8 cylinder options. I chose none of the above and the next screen asked me why. I stated, "V6 minimum, preferred". For my survey to matter I shaved 11 yrs off my age.

My hunch was right, Chevy wants to copy Ford & Honda ditching the V6 for 2018 is making them seriously considering dropping V6 Level.

It's a known fact that 4 cylinders have to work harder. Yes, they are more efficient, but if you want to keep a car 8-10 yrs a V6 is better in the long run.
Its amazing GM sends this out for feedback, but when Camaro created the ugly 2019 SS refresh, they do not send out any choices for opinions which is just as important as engine choices
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:50 AM   #125
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Its amazing GM sends this out for feedback, but when Camaro created the ugly 2019 SS refresh, they do not send out any choices for opinions which is just as important as engine choices
As bad as the 2019 looks, it would still be a highly confidential design and couldn't have been shared outside the walls of GM.

I agree that them seeking feedback would have helped the 2019, but with how closely guarded OEMs are with their designs there is no way it would ever have been revealed via this method.

N/A engines are going away, no matter how good they are. Displacement downsizing and turbocharging are the future due to emissions regs. Get your V6/V8's now.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #126
GM_guy

Drives: 16 2LT Camaro, 15 Sierra CC 04 Yuk
My wife has a 2016 3.6 Camaro and we both love it. The 3.6 is a great engine and we manage to get pretty good mileage out of it (average 26MPG). I also have an 07 Solstice GXP and I have to admit that little turbo 4 will move. The GXP is 11 years old and has 86,000 miles on it and it still runs strong. I think I'd be okay either way but I do get the feeling the V6 is probably going away at some point.
GM_guy is offline   Reply With Quote