Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Camaro6Dave
LATENIGHTWDAVE

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Air Conditioner Belt

At only 6,000 miles my air conditioner belt shredded. Took it to Dealership to be repaired. They are looking for the cause-from defective belt to pulley system being off line. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Camaro6Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
I had this happen on my 5th gen and my 6th gen ZL1 with 4000 miles on it. I replaced the one on my 5th gen and it never happened again. I took my ZL1 to the dealer and let them do it, they couldn’t find anything out of alignment. My guess is high horsepower and cheap Chinese belts.
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
Camaro6Dave
LATENIGHTWDAVE

So took my Camaro in on Thursday morning. Didn't hear back until late afternoon that a new belt was on order, but wouldn't be in until Saturday.

On Saturday found out that the original mechanic that was assigned to my car was off. So it got reassigned to someone else. Didn't hear back until late afternoon that the reassigned mechanic was too busy and couldn't get to it.

Am I wrong for feeling that I am being jerked around??? Does it take two days to get a belt? And why wasn't my vehicle a priority once belt arrived?

Think I will be calling Service Supervisor on Monday to get some answers!
Old 08-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
A seized or intermittently seizing a/c compressor pulley can cause the belt to break or shred. Were there any noticeable issues with the a/c? Hopefully, the dealer will get to the root cause.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro6Dave View Post
So took my Camaro in on Thursday morning. Didn't hear back until late afternoon that a new belt was on order, but wouldn't be in until Saturday.

On Saturday found out that the original mechanic that was assigned to my car was off. So it got reassigned to someone else. Didn't hear back until late afternoon that the reassigned mechanic was too busy and couldn't get to it.

Am I wrong for feeling that I am being jerked around??? Does it take two days to get a belt? And why wasn't my vehicle a priority once belt arrived?

Ever think that maybe they had other cars on the lifts torn down to the point that they couldnt get your car back into the shop?

In order to change the AC belt the main belt has to be removed first as the AC belt rides behind it. That isnt taking into account if anything else needs to come off to get access to the tensioner that holds the belts on.

Personally I wouldnt had taken the car in for a shredded AC belt. I would had ordered a new Gates belt from the local parts store and replaced it myself and check belt alignment from there as well.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:

If they ordered under the old part # it would have backordered and then GM should have superseded the part # to the new one. 12643219 is the old one, 12685983 is the new one. Shows good availability and if your dealer's local PDC doesn't have it, its an auto overnight part from GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Ever think that maybe they had other cars on the lifts torn down to the point that they couldnt get your car back into the shop?

In order to change the AC belt the main belt has to be removed first as the AC belt rides behind it. That isnt taking into account if anything else needs to come off to get access to the tensioner that holds the belts on.

Personally I wouldnt had taken the car in for a shredded AC belt. I would had ordered a new Gates belt from the local parts store and replaced it myself and check belt alignment from there as well.
Belt. One tensioner, only for the main serpentine belt. AC is a stretchy belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
Camaro6Dave
LATENIGHTWDAVE

After having my car for 5 days, they determined it was a faulty belt.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:57 AM   #8
Subcool

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #9
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
any tips of walking the new AC belt on? im about to do this with my 16 SS. I know it was a pain when i put the belt back on my trucks crank and compressor. slowly walking it back on the ribs while cranking the engine over by hand.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #10
leadfoot93
Camaro Fan

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Garnet Red
Here is how you re-install the ac belt.
Attached Images

3800 Status: 10/13/15 VIN #116519
4200 Status: 12/19/15
Delivered : 12/28/15
leadfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:55 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:

Whatever you do, do not piss anybody off at the dealership! They will surely put yours on the back burner and yes it could take 2 days to get a belt that they ordered from GM. Advice from someone(me) that experienced my car being shoved to the back of the line due to me pissing off a service advisor. Good luck and be patient and understanding.👍
Old 03-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #12
koolkat68

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange Metallic LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
any tips of walking the new AC belt on? im about to do this with my 16 SS. I know it was a pain when i put the belt back on my trucks crank and compressor. slowly walking it back on the ribs while cranking the engine over by hand.
You can use a stretch belt remover/installer tool.
https://www.amazon.com/Drake-Off-Roa.../dp/B00AC60VEC
koolkat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:30 PM   #13
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot93 View Post
Here is how you re-install the ac belt.
Thanks for this @leadfoot93! I bought a stretchy belt install tool but there didn’t seem to be any room to use it, so this procedure makes sense.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:09 PM   #14
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Air Conditioner Belt

It’s a tight fit but it works. No tool for the LT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer

Last edited by easttxss; 10-28-2022 at 03:38 PM.
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote