Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
A lot of these guys know nothing about cars. I got pulled over in my Evo a long time ago, the dude made me pop the hood. He's like, I bet you added a turbo to this huh? I was like uhh its turbo from the factory.. "oh" . "well what is this thing, this looks modified".. he points to the power steering pump? uhh that's the power steering pump dude.
Jesus christ. People shouldn't be allowed to enforce laws on subjects they don't know shit about.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SociallyAwk View Post
Yep. Going to take it to court.
FL statutes are clear on noise limits, test method and requirements. And there is more to it than was posted here. The measurement device must be 50ft from center of travel lane and the upper limit is 79 dBA if the posted speed limit was over 35mph, 72 dBA if under 35. And that ain’t much if you got on it at all.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/.../0316.293.html

If they have all of the requirements and device calibration well-documented, and you were indeed louder and all alone on the road and they have it on video, then you’re toast. They might not need video if the judge is cop friendly there.

If you were next to a city bus or amidst other of cars at the time, bring a lawyer with you. It’ll be your lawyer’s word vs. the cops. Good luck with that.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
Maximus SS

Drives: 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
FL statutes are clear on noise limits, test method and requirements. And there is more to it than was posted here. The measurement device must be 50ft from center of travel lane and the upper limit is 79 dBA if the posted speed limit was over 35mph, 72 dBA if under 35. And that ain’t much if you got on it at all.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/.../0316.293.html

If they have all of the requirements and device calibration well-documented, and you were indeed louder and all alone on the road and they have it on video, then you’re toast. They might not need video if the judge is cop friendly there.

If you were next to a city bus or amidst other of cars at the time, bring a lawyer with you. It’ll be your lawyer’s word vs. the cops. Good luck with that.
Up here in the panhandle, the cops dont do anything traffic wise. My car is LOUD, but not off the rails crazy loud. Headers or/X pipe super 44's (yes still in a ford) ive had cops at stops lights give thumbs up. Ive also had cops follow me until we get to a light, and they see im not some kid and leave me alone.

Thats a BS stop, depending on the time of day I would guess he was bored trying to hit his 1 contact and hr, and exhaust was an in. Granted you are in a more afluent part of the state than I am. Diesel pickups here with 6" dumps or stack bailing black smoke, make my car seem like grandmas Lincoln
Maximus SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #18
Gunkk

He’s in Boca... the Nimby capital of the universe. Probably wishing for some panhandle love right about now.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #19
Maximus SS

Quote:
He’s in Boca... the Nimby capital of the universe. Probably wishing for some panhandle love right about now.
Im not a native to FL, but my friends who live down miami way have mentioned to me palm beach is tough on drivers, boca west palm... Affluent areas usually have lower crime so cops focus on tax collecting... I mean traffic
Old 01-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #20
SociallyAwk

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
Sigh. I need to move. Thanks for the advice Gunkk
Old 01-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #21
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:

I think you missed an important detail. He said his exhaust is stock. If they tried to enforce this ticket wouldn't that mean Chevy should have never been allowed to sell the Camaro in Florida? Which would mean OP could then sue Chevy for some crazy amount
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
MAGAUSA

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue 1LE
First I've ever heard of this law in FL. They sure don't seem to focus on this in the Tampa area. It sounds like a default way to pull someone over to check for sobriety or some other something (same as dark tint).
MAGAUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #23
Maximus SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmypop13 View Post
I think you missed an important detail. He said his exhaust is stock. If they tried to enforce this ticket wouldn't that mean Chevy should have never been allowed to sell the Camaro in Florida? Which would mean OP could then sue Chevy for some crazy amount
It's a chicken shit stop, with the hopes he doesn't contest it. A buddy back in Maine got stopped in a Subaru for the same thing. He went to court with all the measurements and so I meter numbers etc.. case was Thrown out
Old 01-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #24
SociallyAwk

Quote:
I'd be in for some serious money if that were the case
Old 01-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #25
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
So I think we may have more to the story here.

The funny thing is all the people that become "anti cop" and "sue GM for a lot". LOL

If OP has the two stage exhaust, that is set up to be legal under all tests, which I don't believe count WOT. So yes, above 3,500 RPM and depending on throttle, it IS noisy. That's the point to get that extra 5 hp.

So I can be pretty certain the factory exhaust is compliant with all Federal noise standards.

That's what the 2 stage exhaust is supposed to do.

But i'm also pretty sure when the OP says 17 mph he wasn't just rolling along at 17 mph. There was a bit of throttle involved to have involved the police. Noise levels are so low at 17 mph that you would have to have something else going to get pulled over. I've driven a lot of stock Camaros and Corvettes and they are not loud rolling at 17 mph.

If your exhaust is completely stock, you should have no problems other than the time and inconvenience.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #26
Gunkk

It's a sound limit, just like a speed limit. Violation is matter of choice.

Quote:
No, The car is perfectly legal the way the law is written.

"No person shall operate ... a vehicle ... as to generate a sound level in excess of the following limit..."

It's how the car is driven that determines whether the law is violated.

This is no different than speed limits.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:03 PM   #27
Risky Justice

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
No, The car is perfectly legal the way the law is written.

"No person shall operate ... a vehicle ... as to generate a sound level in excess of the following limit..."

It's how the car is driven that determines whether the law is violated.

This is no different than speed limits.
If they don't have video evidence with audio then I don't see how they could prove any of that. If the judge is a dick too then I would make a big stink online and use that to have a Congressman lean on the police department, since I imagine car enthusiasts make up a decent voting population.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #28
SociallyAwk

I should remind you guys that none of these stops were anything over 40mph. One was 17mph cruising from a 4 way stop. Never stayed in 1st gear, always shifted after 3k rpms