Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-21-2019, 06:47 PM   #29
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubi View Post
For peace of mind, it sounds like the best course of action, without going crazy, is:

1. Pull the valve covers
2. Remove the rockers
3. Carefully inspect the springs, without removing them, and check for cracks
4. Pull the pushrods and check if any are bent
5. Put it all back together

And on the next oil change, send a sample to Blackstone. What would I be looking for in the results? Signs of metal?
100%
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #30
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Over the years of racing, all my engine failures have been valvetrain. On a mechanical over-rev I would change all valves. A mildly bent valve is a weak valve and you need only one to history the engine, stock valves, in general, are not known to be strong. Just me.

Also IMO there is no reason to use no lift shift from 4th. You gain nothing in terms of ET. 1st to second, maybe 2nd to 3rd.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #31
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Over the years of racing, all my engine failures have been valvetrain. On a mechanical over-rev I would change all valves. A mildly bent valve is a weak valve and you need only one to history the engine, stock valves, in general, are not known to be strong. Just me.

So you're saying this is a good excuse to port the heads and swap to a more robust valvetrain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Also IMO there is no reason to use no lift shift from 4th. You gain nothing in terms of ET. 1st to second, maybe 2nd to 3rd.

This was on a road course. I was playing around with NLS all day, to see how I like it.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:19 PM   #32
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
So you're saying this is a good excuse to port the heads and swap to a more robust valvetrain?
Perfect excuse to improve the top end of the engine.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:16 PM   #33
oldman

Quote:

, hit up Pray... well wroth it. Heads are candy on this engine.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #34
oldman

NLS, 1 to 2 all good, 2 to 3 is iffy, 3 to 4 no issues really, the rest for sure are NOT needed because the speed is already enough not to need any potential ET gain. Now rev match really works, and makes you a heel toe king....
Old 04-24-2019, 05:29 AM   #35
Calubi

Does the LT1 still require rockers to be torqued down with the valves closed (cam at base circle)?

I'm reading up on proper techniques for removing/installing rockers, but most of what I'm seeing is for older engines that require rocker adjustment, while our rockers just have a fixed torque spec.

Does this mean the EOIC method is not (fully) needed? Can we just torque down the rockers any where the valve is closed?

(Sorry for the basic questions, I'm still learning!)
Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #36
oldman

valves should be closed. I don't know if it is "required", the bolt is quite long. The new trunions come with new bolts. FWIW, the stock bolts should not be used with ported heads, they do cause enough stress to flake away a little shard on some ports (intake). Just change the trunions at the same time with new shorter bolts.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #37
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I always liked torquing them down on the base circle despite what it says.

It would be a good time to do these if you were interested l
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552744
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:34 AM   #38
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I dont remember exactly but its in the 6600-6700 range..
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:49 PM   #39
Calubi

Finally pulled the valve covers today. I was pleasantly surprised with how accessible they were. I was scared that some of the rear bolts would be hard to reach under the dash, but nothing a swivel socket couldn't take care of. Getting the black plastic covers off was the most annoying part, by far. They kept getting stuck between the rear coil packs and the black metal bars that run from the side of the engine compartment to the firewall. I'm not sure what those metal bars are for, but they look structural?

Anyway, everything looks okay. I didn't see any obvious signs of spring damage. I turned the engine over by hand a few times. Put it all back together and went for a test drive, sounds and drives like it always has.

By the way, is it normal for dirty oil to pool by the valve seals? I would guess so, since I don't see how it could entirely drain. Everything was coated in a layer of clear new oil (just changed the oil before the track weekend), except for the valve seals which had dirty oil pooled by them.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #40
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Glad to see everything’s in order. the engines in these cars are pretty enjoyable to work on. Once all the plastic is removed it gets pretty roomy.
4th gens were halfway under the dash and much more annoying.
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #41
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Compression check would find a bent valve if there is one. My GUESS is you lucked out.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #42
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'm no engine expert, but over rev / valve float can also be an incremental damage. If you experienced valve float/crash, the spring pressure degrades. Next time the valve spring goes into valve crash at a lower rpm, etc.

Hitting 7500 rpm, no doubt went into valve float/crash. OEM's use valve springs that are just enough pressure to increase mileage - I'd expect the LT1 to be similar build. Will it ever surface in the future - who knows - likely depends on how many times you exceed 6500 rpm.

Also mention that road course work is far more demanding than drag runs where you are in that 'red' zone for fractions of a second vice letting it rev extended for that next corner lap after lap.

I'm considering a change of valve springs as a matter of maintenance (ie. every 10K to 15K miles, etc).

Hope that helps.