Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #15
Chad0311
Likes V8 powered vehicles

Drives: '16 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
The same reason you buy a Camaro SS instead of a Toyota Corolla. The Corolla will get you to work and home. How many times per day do you expect to use all 1g of cornering of your Camaro, or all 455hp? Why marry the hot blonde when the mousy girl will do just fine. Why pay for a Ribeye when sirloin will fill you up. On and on.

Even if you never take your 1LE to the track, you can still enjoy its higher performance levels. Its just a WHOLE LOT MORE FUN if you take it on a road course at least once!
/Thread
Chad0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #16
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Why buy a 1LE over a regular SS if your not going to track it? Simple, I have to go around corners on my daily drive. Enough said!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:08 AM   #17

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Buying a 1LE and not tracking it would at least give credibility to one's "posing" status and perhaps increase your image as a street-racer bad-boy...

Other than that, I can't see much reason for not actually tracking it.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #18
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa406079 View Post
Some folks get a kick out of drag racing... Others get a kick at seeing a car tail us thru the cop infested straights where we behave UNTIL the road goes windy and you leave them in the dust...

The best part of on/ off ramps from highways is ( at least in Canada) the speeds are only advisories... So under the law you can take them at a speed your car can safely negotiate them... Nothing quite like accelerating into a turn most have to slow down for...

The rewards of razor sharp turn in and neutral handling in a high speed turn that doesn't go quickly into a high safety margin under steer... The standard SS will under steer and scrub speed a lot sooner than the 1LE... This has be borne out by the 3 second faster time on a 2 minute track, the new FE4 suspension that can handle ZL1 levels of power, and will be soon reflected in reviews and test drives.
amen bro. I can't or won't afford the 1LE, my LS1 was an 1LE and I loved it, it was a very nice and well balanced package. I purchased a 1997 Type R and was very comfortable moving between the two when the 1LE came out. For the LS1 it was the first time AFAIK that I could get an A/C, Texas that is a must.

I'm much older and have two AutoX cars so I was not going to wait for the 1LE. That said it is an awesome setup and probably the best bang for the dollar.

I was just talking to my son.
When I got my Type R it was 195 HP and 2550 lbs, a year and a half later my LS1 1LE was 305 HP really about 315 HP and 3450 lbs.
Today
The 2017 Type R for usa will be about 300 HP and 3050 lbs, the LT1 1LE will be 455 HP and 3650 lbs. Meaning on any large autoX or road race the 1le should stomp Honda. Also meaning there is a huge market for sub 3000 lbs FWD that is unfilled, maybe Fiesta ST, dunno. This pressure for a performance FWD sub 3000 lbs is caused by the new lighter RWD platforms. Mazda went crazy and a little too far with the Miata, it is smaller and lighter, but no matter what, do you really want a car with LESS HP than you ma's Honda Civic? I actually tossed around the Miata, but 155 HP? what?

The 6th gen will bring about tremendous turmoil in all forms of racing just like the 98 LS1 did. It is a far lighter, for stronger platform with an absolutely dominant engine that is mass produced and externally small, pop the hood of a 5.0 to see a completely and totally filled engine compartment. It is 1998 all over again and I was there and it was great, from AutoX to road race to 1/4 mile to street fights the LS1 was absolutely dominant. 2016 and on in all forms of fighting the LT1 will be absolutely dominant. Heck headers and exhaust the LT1 is already pushing 440 RWHP. I'm in for 5 years of glory.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 02-12-2016 at 10:22 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdonut View Post
I know it's a money issue, but I'm curious as to why some people would get a 1LE if they're not going to track it. I understand it has the cool factor but it defeats the purpose of buying the package if one will not track it. The 1LE is begging to be tracked as it's a track-focused car. My question is, why bother getting the 1LE if you're never or seldom going to track the car? Just looking for different viewpoints.
It does add a "sportier" feel to the car. And of course, there's the look of those wheels and the hood, and the brakes.

Otherwise...I don't know.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 AM   #20
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Buying a 1LE and not tracking it would at least give credibility to one's "posing" status and perhaps increase your image as a street-racer bad-boy...

Other than that, I can't see much reason for not actually tracking it.
There are many reasons why tracking a car may not be an option for folks. Time available and finances come to mind right off the bat. To not enjoy a far superior handling and performing vehicle because at this point in your life because you can't track it is crazy, and has nothing to do with the image you are trying to send out. Me thinks you worry way to much about what others think of you.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
There are many reasons why tracking a car may not be an option for folks. Time available and finances come to mind right off the bat. To not enjoy a far superior handling and performing vehicle because at this point in your life because you can't track it is crazy, and has nothing to do with the image you are trying to send out. Me thinks you worry way to much about what others think of you.
No, not concerned about my image...lol...Just from what I read here, a lot of folks make too much out of tracking....It's real easy to avoid it, but once you try it, it's no big deal regardless of skill level. I think a lot of people unnecessarily avoid it because of some pre-conceived notions. And they seem to want to do their tracking on the streets.

I hope anyone who gets a 1LE will take the time to find a weekend track event and try it. If you can afford a new 1LE, you can afford a few track events. It's easier than you think.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #22
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
You don't need to go to a track to appreciate a vehicle's handling and braking prowess. There are plenty enough twisty roads in this country to safely put the car through some spirited driving and put a smile on your face.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:15 AM   #23
gajagfan

Quote:
No, not concerned about my image...lol...Just from what I read here, a lot of folks make too much out of tracking....It's real easy to avoid it, but once you try it, it's no big deal regardless of skill level. I think a lot of people unnecessarily avoid it because of some pre-conceived notions. And they seem to want to do their tracking on the streets.

I hope anyone who gets a 1LE will take the time to find a weekend track event and try it. If you can afford a new 1LE, you can afford a few track events. It's easier than you think.
I agree with you, but as life has happened, we are approaching 2 1/2 years into ownership and are yet to go to the track. Hoping for some time this summer!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I agree with you, but as life has happened, we are approaching 2 1/2 years into ownership and are yet to go to the track. Hoping for some time this summer!
I kept my '11 as a garage queen for the first year or so....Everyone has a first time, even me...(Now it's a street/track car garage queen...lol)....If you think you appreciate a car's handling on the street, or spirited driving, wait til you get it on a track....You'll be hooked...and it doesn't have to cost a fortune, but worth every penny...
Old 02-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
You don't need to go to a track to appreciate a vehicle's handling and braking prowess. There are plenty enough twisty roads in this country to safely put the car through some spirited driving and put a smile on your face.
True. But nothing's like a good road course...it makes the twisty backroads seem like nothing more than a "taste of heaven".

HPDE's (High Performance Driving Event) are addicting.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #26
gajagfan

Quote:
I kept my '11 as a garage queen for the first year or so....Everyone has a first time, even me...(Now it's a street/track car garage queen...lol)....If you think you appreciate a car's handling on the street, or spirited driving, wait til you get it on a track....You'll be hooked...and it doesn't have to cost a fortune, but worth every penny...
I know you are right. We still have our BBC '69 that we drag raced back in the day, and it was a blast. The '13 1LE has never been a queen, but living in SE GA opposed to the north GA mountains where we did live before, not even very many areas to use the car very hard (very, very flat coastal area). But even in the mountains, you have to hold back (public roads and all). Really looking forward to getting out there this year. We have a few tracks within a couple hours, and then there is always auto-X. Hope all works out!
Old 02-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #27
Cam 6

Drives: 2018 Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffInDFW View Post
The same reason you buy a Camaro SS instead of a Toyota Corolla. The Corolla will get you to work and home. How many times per day do you expect to use all 1g of cornering of your Camaro, or all 455hp? Why marry the hot blonde when the mousy girl will do just fine. Why pay for a Ribeye when sirloin will fill you up. On and on.

Even if you never take your 1LE to the track, you can still enjoy its higher performance levels. Its just a WHOLE LOT MORE FUN if you take it on a road course at least once!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Cuz it looks awesome, I love the wheels and wider tires, and just want one And I honestly would love to go to a track someday, maybe owning a 1LE will push me to make that happen.
All of this ^^^
Cam 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #28
bigdonut

Drives: Nothing
Interesting responses.

From what it seems, looks like the cool factor and taking the tight turn here and there are the only reasons to get the 1LE if you're not tracking or autocrossing. If we're talking about the cool factor, they will sell some of the 1LE parts on the side. But putting things aside, I would take a 1SS 1LE over the 2SS just due to uniqueness.

With that all said, doesn't seem like there's much reason to get the V6 1LE. It would make more sense if they had the Turbo 4 1LE since it has that feel over the V6. But yet again, it wouldn't feel right to exclude the V6 as the middle child.
bigdonut is offline   Reply With Quote