Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #127
2000Firehawk

Drives: 2000Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok, if you trust me, let me assure you GM couldn't get the 2.0T to meet internal durability requirements over 300 HP. The Big Turbo project never came to fruition with this.

This is why I get frustrated with the aftermarket "tooooners". Yes, for the most part, you can get more HP with a revised calibration. But statistically, you are not as durable or reliable (2 different things btw). I knew guys on the Sky forums that were over 400 hp. Doesn't mean GM can do it. It won't meet their internal specifications. And no matter what the "tooooooner" tells you, if you hit the piston with a bigger hammer things don't get more durable. Sorry, but that is a fact.

I had the 295 HP GMPP calibration. It was awesome. And I can assure you that part of the cost of that dealer installed calibration was covering the statistically significant increase in warranty cost.

BTW, I really wish GM would offer GMPP calibrations for every engine. Go to BMWs website and you'll see they have them for $1,500 or so. And I can assure you part of that cost is the increased warranty cost.
13 years ago, GM was able to get 1,000 HP out of a 2.0 Ecotec...
http://www.thecarconnection.com/tips...tec-to-1000-hp

I expect a 325 HP GMPP calibration, for the new 2.0T

Actually the old 295 HP GMPP tune, was not so great, & it wasn't until the tuners,
like HPTuners, 'hacked' the 'code', that we had better/smarter/safer, tunes.
This was because of the over engineered Bosch ECM, & GM was heading into bankruptcy,
so that tune, was a low budget rush job.
And even that tune wasn't really bad enough, to cause warranty issues.

Now with GM in control of there own 2.0T ECM, GMPP tunes will be better, & a 325 hp
calibration, will be safe & easy for them.
Especially with the new , more durable , & reliable, 2.0T that the Camaro is getting...
And no, I don't think that it will be getting forged pistons anymore, as the Camaro will be getting the the latest updated Gen5 2.0T, with the one piece head/exhaust manifold.
The pistons will be better, just not forged...

Last edited by 2000Firehawk; 10-02-2015 at 07:54 PM.
2000Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #128
2000Firehawk

Drives: 2000Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePhenom View Post
I've mentioned this before on a 2.0 LTG thread but I'll reiterate. As an Engine Assembly Technician at GM Tonawanda Engine Plant which exclusively builds the 2.0L LTG engine that powers the Cadillacs (amongst other models) as well the C7's LT1
engine, I can guarantee that the Camaro variant of the LTG is different. How different? I can't go into details for obvious reasons.
With all the piston problems with the LTG engines, me thinks that this problem has been solved.
That's the reason for the delay in the production of the base 2016 Camaro...

Anyone going to SEMA this year, there will be a GM supplied 2016 ATS with the latest RX system installed on display.

Tracy Lewis, the Head of Engineering & Product Development at RX Performance Products, developed a solution to the GM 2.0 turbo piston failure issue, working with GM engineering, to help solve design flaws, & overcome obstacles in product development.

The lack of understanding proper crankcase evacuation on turbo charged passenger cars has caused GM severe headaches with the failures related to this.

Last edited by 2000Firehawk; 10-24-2015 at 09:44 PM.
2000Firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote