Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 02-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #155
CyberDude

Drives: 2015 Lexus NX 200t F Sport
Anyone have any new info on the GM Hurst Shifter for a 2010 that comes as an option on the 2011?
CyberDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #156
nomadicdogg

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Camaro (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The engineers took the Hurst shifter and "fiddled" with it to meet internal standards and requirements in order to sell it as Original Equipment. This resulted in....shall we say "compromises". (you'll notice some people comment on a wobble or looseness in the aftermarket unit...imagine dealing with that in warranty claims)

Personally...I feel like aftermarket shifters are TOO short. This is my own opinion for daily driving, now. A few options are adjustable, and the factory Hurst option seems is "just right". Shorter, crisper than the standard shifter, but not too short with that "aftermarket feel".

(Plus, I like the stock shift knob. The badge is a nice subtle touch.)

EDIT: I spent some time playing with it on the 2011 car GM brought to the Camaro5Fest. I definitely plan on ordering the option.
This is the exact feeling I have on the shifter. the aftermarket is WAY to short, the factory is perfect. but my '10 does not have that option and to order it now its over $800
any thoughts?
nomadicdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #157
Rogey89
ZL 1 3 7

Drives: '23 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Subtle. I like it. But I still like mine better
WOW

BADASS
Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #158
SmokinBills 2SS

Drives: 2SS Cammed up, Clear Bra, Clean
If your going to change it,Then make the change worth the cash.
SmokinBills 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #159
BWood

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost-Rider View Post
Have you looked at a stock shifter and the linkage while someone is shifting? It wobbles. When I pulled my hurst shifter out of the box, I took the pin that connects the shifter to the linkage and put it bottom of the shifter bushings. The fit was perfect. The rest of the shifter is two solid piece bolted together. There is nowhere where this thing is going to wobble.

Did the stock shifter wobble inches? Oh... they didn't show that part in their video. Did they bolt the hurst together securely? Nope... didn't show that in the video either. Did they even put the bushings in on the bottom or did they mess them all up sticking them in? Who knows... wasn't in the video. My shifter and hundred of other guys in here have thousands of miles on the hurst shifter, with hard shifting and no problems. Seems to me the design is perfect... and the problems lie in the install.
FWIW, You bring up a lot of good points, Ghost-Rider, and I'm sure you looked something like this......when you were giving your response. But let me assure you, wobble DOES happen with some of us. For those of you who have not had this issue, congratulations! I envy you. As for the install, I cannot speak for everyone but yes, I did install it correctly (bushings and all) and I got quite a bit of wobble. Same thing happened with the Barton by the way so I am in no way "Hurst bashing". I did have a buddy of mine move the shifter back and forth while I watched the linkage from underneath. There was definately a "dead spot" where the shifter was moving with no positive action to the shifting rod. Now the fact that it does the same thing with two completely different shifters (although similar enough in design and function) and NOT, yes NOT with the stocker, lead me to a theory (just a theory). Perhaps those of us with this issue have a stock shifter with a bushing that's just a hair wider than the rest of you. Tolerances can be funny that way sometimes. Wider bushing means a wider gap in the fork that connects to the shifter. It is aluminum after all. Pretty soft metal. Not only that, but as with ANY short-throw, the fulcrum (pivot point) is set higher on the stick so any imperfections in the linkage are going to feel that much worse on the other end. If and when I get around to it, I am thinkin' of reinstalling the Hurst and closing the "gap" with a pair of channel locks or something. Pray for me that I don't end up breaking the damn thing and having to replace it! Long winded .02!
BWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #160
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWood View Post
FWIW, You bring up a lot of good points, Ghost-Rider, and I'm sure you looked something like this......when you were giving your response. But let me assure you, wobble DOES happen with some of us. For those of you who have not had this issue, congratulations! I envy you. As for the install, I cannot speak for everyone but yes, I did install it correctly (bushings and all) and I got quite a bit of wobble. Same thing happened with the Barton by the way so I am in no way "Hurst bashing". I did have a buddy of mine move the shifter back and forth while I watched the linkage from underneath. There was definately a "dead spot" where the shifter was moving with no positive action to the shifting rod. Now the fact that it does the same thing with two completely different shifters (although similar enough in design and function) and NOT, yes NOT with the stocker, lead me to a theory (just a theory). Perhaps those of us with this issue have a stock shifter with a bushing that's just a hair wider than the rest of you. Tolerances can be funny that way sometimes. Wider bushing means a wider gap in the fork that connects to the shifter. It is aluminum after all. Pretty soft metal. Not only that, but as with ANY short-throw, the fulcrum (pivot point) is set higher on the stick so any imperfections in the linkage are going to feel that much worse on the other end. If and when I get around to it, I am thinkin' of reinstalling the Hurst and closing the "gap" with a pair of channel locks or something. Pray for me that I don't end up breaking the damn thing and having to replace it! Long winded .02!
how about contating hurst to explain your issues and see if they can provide some answers?. perhaps you have done that already, not sure
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #161
Bluffen

Drives: 2013 Sea Ray 220 Sundeck

Love mine the look is so much better than the factory one and if your a car person which Im sure you are or you wouldnt of bought an SS get it!
Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #162
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I heard there was an upgrade from Hurst (bushings) that would resolve the wobble. My installer called their tech who didn't know anything about it.
Has anyone obtained and installed this service pack?
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #163
Kenji

Drives: 2SS/RS M6 SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I heard there was an upgrade from Hurst (bushings) that would resolve the wobble. My installer called their tech who didn't know anything about it.
Has anyone obtained and installed this service pack?
There is no "bushing upgrade kit". Hurst has been sending out new bushings to those few customers that have had their bushings damaged.

As long as your installer is careful and does not force things while installing the bushings, connecting rod, and cross-pin... then there should be no problems.

Tags
factory hurst, shifter, short