Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-02-2024, 10:37 AM   #1
GreyGhost702

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS1LE
LT4 HPFP vs LT2 Intake Manifold

Has anyone done it? All the threads I've searched dead-end with no follow ups. It seems most throw in the towel and would rather go back to the stock LT1 intake than figure out how to make the LT2 work. I'm currently preparing for my build, will be doing a D1X with a potential for about 750whp. I wanted to run the LT2 Intake Manifold but recently discovered the LT2 doesn't clear the LT4 pump. So here I am.

If it's just a matter of running spacer plates for an additional 1/2" of clearance, why not? Need a modified fuel line feed to the HPFP? Doesn't seem too tricky on paper. One would think if the LT2 manifold is a stout upgrade over the LT1, putting FI to it would yield even better results, so why isn't it popular? Why no aftermarket support?
GreyGhost702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 12:00 PM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Pretty sureFolks have clearanced the bottom of the LT2 manifold to make it work. Either way I would just do the BTR trinity. A friend of mine just made 822whp with a P1x @ 14.5psi, Trinity manifold, and a BTR stage 2 cam on E50. For reference, It made 600whp on the same dyno with stock motor, 9psi, and 93 pump gas
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 12:29 PM   #3
GreyGhost702

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Pretty sureFolks have clearanced the bottom of the LT2 manifold to make it work. Either way I would just do the BTR trinity. A friend of mine just made 822whp with a P1x @ 14.5psi, Trinity manifold, and a BTR stage 2 cam on E50. For reference, It made 600whp on the same dyno with stock motor, 9psi, and 93 pump gas
I'm not trying to spin the motor in the realm that manifold likes to operate. The LT2 doesn't give up bottom end like many of the aftermarket manifolds and can be had for a fraction of the price. I'm honestly only doing the LT2 Manifold because of its price point, otherwise I would just stick with whatever the stock manifold makes. It's purely a street car, and a weekend toy at that. Do elaborate, though. What was done to have the LT2 clear the LT4 pump? I'm aware its necessary to shave the fins off the bottom mid-rear portion of the manifold to clear the fuel lines. But from what I have read, particularly on this forum, is the LT4 HPFP sits taller than the stock LT1 pump by 1/2". Reading this, I question how the LT1 intake is supposed to clear that pump, if that's the case. But those threads dead-end, no one talks about solution or even shows their work (pictures of the pump vs manifold contact location). One user who had the LT1 Pump and LT2 intake NA upgraded to a Procharger kit with a LT4 pump, and claimed he had to go back to the LT1 intake due to clearance. Which is exactly where my boat is sailing. So he didn't even try to resolve the issue or describe the attempt.

I talked to GPI this morning, and James claims they have several applications running this combo with no clearance issues. And then GPI went offline, due to lunch hours most likely. I will attempt to make contact with them again, possibly get someone on the phone or aquire any documentation they can provide. Worst case, I may do a mock-up with my shortblock while I have it on the engine stand. It's not near ready for assembly, but perhaps a dry fit is in order. Will have to do it carefully. I really hate getting into an engine build just to get delayed by something I could have prepared for. So here I am, attempting to be prepared with a solution. It's LT2 manifold or back to stock, one way or the other.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:01 PM   #4
WiggyB

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Here's a picture of the spacers I used when I installed my LT2 intake with the LT4 hpfp. Hit me on PM if you need this setup I'm not using them anymore.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2024, 03:48 PM   #5
GreyGhost702

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggyB View Post
Here's a picture of the spacers I used when I installed my LT2 intake with the LT4 hpfp. Hit me on PM if you need this setup I'm not using them anymore.
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing when I was looking at Jegs for their 1/2" ICT spacers. Cut a path for the fuel line and leave the last plate to bolt solo. Any issues when bolting the manifold to that last plate? Were you able to run the LT2 Manifold Cover or did it clash with the hood? I have a '19 so hood design is a little different, I anticipated removing the rain guard from the heat extractor to gain clearance for the cover. Also, how come you're not running it anymore?

You know what's still nuts, GPI is claiming there's no need for spacers still.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:06 PM   #6
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost702 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing when I was looking at Jegs for their 1/2" ICT spacers. Cut a path for the fuel line and leave the last plate to bolt solo. Any issues when bolting the manifold to that last plate? Were you able to run the LT2 Manifold Cover or did it clash with the hood? I have a '19 so hood design is a little different, I anticipated removing the rain guard from the heat extractor to gain clearance for the cover. Also, how come you're not running it anymore?

You know what's still nuts, GPI is claiming there's no need for spacers still.
No issues bolting the manifold on just had to get longer bolts. I don't remember exactly the size though. The setup works perfectly though and you are correct you can shave the area where the fuel line goes and do it either way on top of the plate or underneath it.
Old 04-02-2024, 04:25 PM   #7
GreyGhost702

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggyB View Post
No issues bolting the manifold on just had to get longer bolts. I don't remember exactly the size though. The setup works perfectly though and you are correct you can shave the area where the fuel line goes and do it either way on top of the plate or underneath it.
Were you able to use the Manifold Cover or were there contact issues with the hood? Why did you stop running the LT2 intake?
Old 04-02-2024, 04:37 PM   #8
WiggyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGhost702 View Post
Were you able to use the Manifold Cover or were there contact issues with the hood? Why did you stop running the LT2 intake?
I did have to shave a little bit off the back of the cover for it to fit. I didn't stop using the manifold I just added port injection and the plates for that replaced the need for the spacers.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2024, 05:15 PM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I am sure it's softer than a LT2 down low but honestly it feels pretty good. It still made like 680wtq and has no issue lighting off a Toyo R888.

https://youtu.be/f3TDFiw9lqE?si=UziJ9nttxf_bdNZ7

Either way you can make the LT2 fit as I previously mentioned.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 05:51 PM   #10
Sillysspeed

Drives: 98 Camaro
I went back to the lt1 intake. I just cleaned up the port transitions and cut the tube out of the inlet. When I do engine work I’m gonna switch to a btr or performance designs new intake coming out.
Sillysspeed is offline   Reply With Quote