Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
CamaroJHL

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
High prices.... why?

I have a question for you guys.... why are prices on parts for our cars so high?. I have had my car for about 5 years . I have done bolt ons American racing headers, exhuast and cai. I understand about supply and demand... and you have to pay to play exc..... but damn.. please enlighten me... seems like you have to take out a second mortgage to do a simply turbo and cam (do it the right way)... maybe i am just poor. Thanks guys I had to vent as well lol

2011 Camaro SS
CamaroJHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
understood,i have yet to figure out why a simple CAI should go for 300 bucks.in the olden days i could buy a decent motor for that.luckily i think my car is fine stock or the wife would want me to start sleeping in it...
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's prohibitively expensive to upgrade because these cars are now premium cars. It's what we used to call the Corvette tax. Now, entry level cars have half the cylinders so companies justify raising prices on us.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Simple economics, unfortunately... sellers try to find the point on the curve with the highest quantity of sales combined with the highest profit margin that yields the greatest number of net dollars rolling in. They are in business to make money, which is what business is.

And, if the price is high, and people keep buying, the price will stay... until somebody else produces the same part and sells it for cheaper, creating some competition. In the mean time, guys like me (more of a have- not) must simply envy the haves... but I harbor no resentment, just because that's the way the market works.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
yep,at least we are starting with a good basic platform though.even if you dont mod your camaro its still a hell of a good car.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:41 PM   #6
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
I asked this exact question a while back, a lot of people say that it's all about making your Camaro your own... but eh idk, that made sense 2-3 years ago when these cars were still going for 25k+ used.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=456018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
For example, cams with a full package or supercharger kits for $8k+

My point is why spend near $10k on 100rwhp when you can buy a ZL1 with magnetic suspension, more hp, better looking bodykit and a much safer powertrain all together?

Maybe I'm rambling, but I'd figure why not make some of these kits cheaper to sway people into buying them?

I for one will be trading up into a ZL1 next year, decided against supercharger + cam which is gonna have to lead into suspension, brakes, etc, etc... might as well get the ZL1, y'know?

Thoughts?
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Because so many have modified these cars one thing that you find as time goes by is that there are a lot lightly used performance parts available on this forum for a moderate discount off the original price. If you wait long enough and are daring enough to buy used you will find what you want here.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
Dmpsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-eatin-grin View Post
Because so many have modified these cars one thing that you find as time goes by is that there are a lot lightly used performance parts available on this forum for a moderate discount off the original price. If you wait long enough and are daring enough to buy used you will find what you want here.
Yeah but this question is more geared towards buying parts brand new.

I still think paying $8k for a supercharger at this point is just dumb.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
ClawSS
High-tech Redneck

Drives: '10 CGM SS, '02 2500HD, '09 300SRT8
I would like to naively think that a "new" part that comes on the market is trying to recoup the R&D outlay along with any other barriers to market. Then over time that same part once establishing itself and accumulating sales to cover the sunk cost of production would have its price lowered to maintain dominance within the segment and boost competition while overcoming the "loss" in profit per unit by increasing sales volume year on year.

But, alas, no one seems to lower their prices overall once they find that the enthusiast market can bear it, but instead raise them because of perceived demand.

2010 CGM L99 2SS/RS - GPI SS3 VVT, BTR DoD Delete, Circle D 4c, BTR springs, Katech C5R Timing Chain, MRR-228 315/275, CAI, Elite catch-can, TSP 1 7/8" Headers + offroad pipes, Magnaflow 3", Pfadt springs, BMR LCAs, toelinks, trailing arms, cradle bushings, & sway bars w/ endlinks, Vitesse paddles, heritage grille, and an eBay splitter. Power upgrades by Race Proven Perf.; Tuning by ShorTuning.
ClawSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Collusion, there are several companies making air intakes, headers, cams, turbo kits, superchargers, wheels, all the after market parts you could think of.
The only way the prices could possibly be as high as they are is collusion.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #11
Jayjellyfish212

Drives: 2014 1LE
I agree with OP. Parts are on the high side for gen5 parts. If you look at say upgrade of an electric water pump it's 3x higher than any other car. Same metal and internal parts. Just an example but OP makes a fair and reasonable question here.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #12
Dmpsix

Supply & demand is definitely a key factor here, that's understandable and people gotta make their money of course.

I guess I just have my own reasons, I understand completely though like why a ZL1 fascia or something like some wheels or something almost never adjust in price, that's because it's cosmetic which is just solely looks. Something like that is always gonna be in demand as long as these 5th gens are still around.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:45 PM   #13
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJHL View Post
I have a question for you guys.... why are prices on parts for our cars so high?. I have had my car for about 5 years . I have done bolt ons American racing headers, exhuast and cai. I understand about supply and demand... and you have to pay to play exc..... but damn.. please enlighten me... seems like you have to take out a second mortgage to do a simply turbo and cam (do it the right way)... maybe i am just poor. Thanks guys I had to vent as well lol
A lot of it is USA Companies that do R&D, then produce your parts here. With a car like this, you don't see as many Chinese knock-offs as on other cars.

As far as the one comment about Collusion, I strongly disagree. While many people in this Industry are friends, this is still a competitive market to be in.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #14
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Back in my VTEC days, I was modding my Acura Integra GSR which I still have. I think the prices are somewhat comparable. Bolt-ons such as headers and exhaust costs at least twice as much for comparable quality (JDM vs. American made) but then in my GSR, I only needed one header and one exhaust.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote