Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #29
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Yes, car has been at 650 for well over a year. If I could get to E55'ish it would make more power but for some reason the fuel system doesnt handle much over E45 without dropping below 2500psi on the high side.
Really? there really aren't many gains to be had going from 93/meth to e85/meth. the meth is already giving you the octane and cooling boosts.... the e85 is just there as a safety precaution. I went to e60 and most of my gains were just had from the car leaning out from running out of fuel.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #30
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
Really? there really aren't many gains to be had going from 93/meth to e85/meth. the meth is already giving you the octane and cooling boosts.... the e85 is just there as a safety precaution. I went to e60 and most of my gains were just had from the car leaning out from running out of fuel.
I'm not running meth inj as a fuel source, using it as it was intended as a air charge cooling. The car makes the same power on E40 as it did when it was on meth inj only. Meth inj was never designed to be used a poor man port injection system.

We dont have 93 octane where I live, can either get 91 or E85.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:57 AM   #31
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Quote:
Yes, car has been at 650 for well over a year. If I could get to E55'ish it would make more power but for some reason the fuel system doesnt handle much over E45 without dropping below 2500psi on the high side.
Quote:
I'm not running meth inj as a fuel source, using it as it was intended as a air charge cooling. The car makes the same power on E40 as it did when it was on meth inj only. Meth inj was never designed to be used a poor man port injection system.

We dont have 93 octane where I live, can either get 91 or E85.
So, just to clarify.... you are stating that you saw no gains going from 91/meth to e40/meth...…. but you think you will gain hp going from e40/meth to e55/meth?

and you are running meth as a fuel source. if you are injecting meth... it's being used as a fuel. unless you are not compensating your injectors for it, and are running fat af.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #32
parbreak

Drives: 2017 50th Camaro SS
I'm just getting into meth and will be installing the Alky kit along with E85 the end of this month. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it so this possibly a stupid question but:

If meth increases octane then how can someone only use it for cooling purposes. It seems that if you inject an explosive chemical into the intake it's going to add to the fueling.
50th Anniversary Edition |Borla Atak and 60606 mid pipes| Kooks 1 7/8" | ProCharger Stage II |305/45/17 DRs | Circle D 3500 stall | LT4 fueling | Custom made Lowside Aux Pump | Alky Control Meth | DSX E85
parbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:32 PM   #33
DapperDan

Drives: 2017 1SS A8 Nightfall Gray
Quote:

My stock engine was 705whp ,lt 4 fuel, 3.70 pulley meth n 93 @12lbs with just cat deletes ,it made it a year, Im thinking headers and 3" × pipe would have dropped boost enough to keep it under the tipping point. Plus I was stupid and never invested in HP tuners , I could have been logging and possibly caught it .
Old 02-07-2020, 06:10 AM   #34
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
and you are running meth as a fuel source. if you are injecting meth... it's being used as a fuel. unless you are not compensating your injectors for it, and are running fat af.
Agree with him, even a moderate amount of meth injection means that some fuel is being added. My thought is that if your intent is cooling more than fuel supply, then using windshield washer solvent like laynlo15 used to would be the way to go. The solvent is something like 35% methanol, so you'd be adding less fuel than you currently are with straight methanol.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #35
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
So, just to clarify.... you are stating that you saw no gains going from 91/meth to e40/meth...…. but you think you will gain hp going from e40/meth to e55/meth?

I am not running straight meth, it is a 50/50 mix of M1 methanol and distilled water per the owner over at Alky Control. I have already logged the vehicle the current setup only changed the A/F ratio .01 which has already been corrected.

To your comment of seeing any gains from 91/Meth to E40 with no meth. No, we didnt see any gains as that wasnt the goal of the project. The goal was to take the LT1 fuel system out, turn the meth injection off and not use it as a fuel source and to put the LT4 fuel system in the car and push the Ethanol up as high as I could and still make the same power as I did on 91/Meth.

Project was a success. Car makes the same power and I didnt have to rely making sure the meth tank was full. The shop that did the original supercharger install said they didnt trust the LT4 stuff and meth inj was the only way, research from others like myself have shown they were wrong and that the LT4 stuff can handle 91/93 just fine and make around 600rwhp. Add some E85 and you can make over 600rwhp with no issues.

I have the tune pretty conservative, at this time I am not looking to see how far I can go and lose a piston and end up with a $10k+ engine build as that is what will happen next.

So yes, meth inj can be used and not be used as a fuel source. If you car is setup right with the proper fuel setup you can make up to 700rwhp without the need for meth only by using the LT4 fuel system and/or 3rd party pumps along with some E85.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #36
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by parbreak View Post
I'm just getting into meth and will be installing the Alky kit along with E85 the end of this month. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about it so this possibly a stupid question but:

If meth increases octane then how can someone only use it for cooling purposes. It seems that if you inject an explosive chemical into the intake it's going to add to the fueling.
Octane is not a measurement of "explosively" - it is a measurement of resistant to ignition.

As far as temperature is concerned, it is the same as putting rubbing alcohol on your skin - once it is spread on your skin it evaporates very fast, which in turn pulls heat with it, which is why it feels cool.

The reason why you would use strait meth or meth/water depends on what you are trying to gain with the meth. For maximum cooling effect, meth/water will net more temp drop. Strait meth will supply the most octane.

You would would want to asses your pre-meth situation on what you want to achieve - IE, if you are running boost but with no intercooler, you are pretty much going to be capped on boost about 5-7lbs. Add one meth nozzle and you can easily double that.