Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-01-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
WARNING headers melting wire harness $6,000 later and entire car interior stripped

Because my 2" ceramic coated headers melted the wiring harness in the engine bay (that runs from one end of the car to the other) I had to have the entire thing replaced which involved removing literally everything from the inside of the car and more...

The dealership said the wiring harness was too close to the headers and someone had pulled it off the wall, but I've heard other members say it needs to be moved regardless. Not sure but either way, I thought I'd post this in case it helps someone else avoid this happening to them
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Wow, sounds like defective ceramic coat. I don’t think it should get hot enough to do that with the coating.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:31 PM   #3
SHE'Z 18

Drives: 18 ZL1 - M6
OMG!!! As someone that’s going to have headers installed soon, is there anything in particular that I should ask the installer to do and/or make sure is performed during or after the header install? Extra heat wrap, rerouting wires, etc.? Sorry brother
SHE'Z 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #4
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
Because my 2" ceramic coated headers melted the wiring harness in the engine bay (that runs from one end of the car to the other) I had to have the entire thing replaced which involved removing literally everything from the inside of the car and more...

The dealership said the wiring harness was too close to the headers and someone had pulled it off the wall, but I've heard other members say it needs to be moved regardless. Not sure but either way, I thought I'd post this in case it helps someone else avoid this happening to them
Who coated the headers? My Jet Hot 2500f coating barely gets warm to the touch. Literally, I can touch them right after driving the car without burning my hands at all.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:53 PM   #5
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Sorry to here , another member here has a Thread same thing , I think he's repairing his same harness. I've used this Header Turbo wrap before, on my 1970 Camaro fuel supply and return lines, that were close to the passenger side Header. The headers were jet hot coated, and as stated above after sitting off for a bit you could touch , but not running (personal experience) and the engine compartment didn't have no where near the components in our cars , to hold the heat and very little air circulation.
Is the Dealership going to add protection wrap or relocate or both to the area? Also ask the Dealership if the job there doing is under warranty. A suggestion.
Or are you going to remove and reinstall the stock manifolds . That would be horrible if happens again. Sorry for your misfortune. TC
Attached Images

Last edited by JTS; 12-01-2022 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added info
JTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:01 PM   #6
mayracn

Drives: 2017 zl1
Before i wold have ripped the whole car apart i would have cut that section out and repaired all the wires. Done properly would have no issues and saved you a bunch of time and money. Sucks it happens.

KOOKS LONG TUBES
AWE EXHAUST
ROTOFAB
FLEX FUEL 55% E TUNE
PORTED THROTTLE BODY
mayracn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:05 PM   #7
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS View Post
Sorry to here , another member here has a Thread same thing , I think he's repairing his same harness. I've used this Header Turbo wrap before, on my 1970 Camaro fuel supply and return lines, that were close to the passenger side Header. The headers were jet hot coated, and as stated above after sitting off for a bit you could touch , but not running (personal experience) and the engine compartment didn't have no where near the components in our cars , to hold the heat and very little air circulation.
Is the Dealership going to add protection wrap or relocate or both to the area? Also ask the Dealership if the job there doing is under warranty. A suggestion.
Or are you going to remove and reinstall the stock manifolds . That would be horrible if happens again. Sorry for your misfortune. TC
With the Jet Hot 2500f coating, you can touch the headers with the car running. That coating is not the same as their lower cost coatings.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
BunnyBoy

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Would love to have someone post pics of the reroute that is supposed to happen when you put headers on.
BunnyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:44 PM   #9
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
With the Jet Hot 2500f coating, you can touch the headers with the car running. That coating is not the same as their lower cost coatings.
This was a few years back , Don't think they had the 2500f coating, I purchased top of the line , or at least I thought I was. Thought I'd reply, didn't want , to think I was talking about there 2500f or latest coating.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:46 PM   #10
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyBoy View Post
Would love to have someone post pics of the reroute that is supposed to happen when you put headers on.
I did my own install of ARH ceramic coated headers. I didn’t have to relocate any wiring and I have had nothing burned or melted by the headers. I recently drove the car 1800 miles over 2 days and still no issues.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 01:48 PM   #11
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Looks like they were actually touching. A coating isn’t going to matter if that was the case.

Not to be a jerk but There’s posts back in 2016 stressing to move that harness
Old 12-01-2022, 01:57 PM   #12
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
When I put my headers in, I was debating on putting the harness behind the coolant overflow or not. The biggest thing I see where people could mess up is the harness has to plastic connections that pop I to the body and keep it secure. If those were to break abd the harness was loose, it could totally get way to close to the header abd melt.

That being said, I track my car and the harness stayed secured in those connections.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:16 PM   #13
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS View Post
This was a few years back , Don't think they had the 2500f coating, I purchased top of the line , or at least I thought I was. Thought I'd reply, didn't want , to think I was talking about there 2500f or latest coating.
No worries, just clarifying. I think the next coating below the 2500f is 1300f.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #14
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Looks like they were actually touching. A coating isn’t going to matter if that was the case.

Not to be a jerk but There’s posts back in 2016 stressing to move that harness
Depends on the coating and the wiring harness sheath.