Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-01-2022, 05:25 AM   #15
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I am at 50K. Bought the car at just shy of 40K. Its a 2017 2SS. From CarFax, it did have the oil pump replaced very early on. Pretty sure it had the trans flush done at a dealer but they didn't do the refill procedure right. I found this out when I did the trans flush and it was 3 quarts low.

Only other thing I have had go wrong was a damaged rear O2 sensor recently that threw the entire system off. But the damage was likely from road debris.

These are well built cars for the most part.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #16
JimGnitecki

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I am at 50K. Bought the car at just shy of 40K. Its a 2017 2SS. From CarFax, it did have the oil pump replaced very early on. Pretty sure it had the trans flush done at a dealer but they didn't do the refill procedure right. I found this out when I did the trans flush and it was 3 quarts low.

Only other thing I have had go wrong was a damaged rear O2 sensor recently that threw the entire system off. But the damage was likely from road debris.

These are well built cars for the most part.
I don't know that I agree. An oil pump failure is kind of a big deal, consideirng the damage it could cause. And I think from all I have read about it that the 8-speed transmission was a bad one.

I personally believe that the Japanese and Korean cars are notably more reliable than American ones.

I regard European cars as wildy overengineered - way too complex and expensive to maintain. I owned a Mercedes C63 for a short time, but when I learned on the forum just how often the head gaskets failed, and that EACH "singing and dancing" headlight (raises and lowers and rotates on turns) costs $5000 to replace if damaged or fails, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. I traded it on a Korean vehicle.

But I also think that the Asian manufacturers don't really understand American car enthusiasts. They could never successfully produce and sell soemthing that can REALLY compete with a Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, or Challenger. They just don't get it.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #17
PizzzzzaForPresident

Drives: Ferrari F40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
But I also think that the Asian manufacturers don't really understand American car enthusiasts. They could never successfully produce and sell soemthing that can REALLY compete with a Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, or Challenger. They just don't get it.

Jim G
Lexus gets it. The IS-F and RC-F are pretty good contenders. 400hp+ NA V8s that are extremely reliable, but of course more expensive because they're luxury focused. They're basically Japanese luxury muscle cars, similar to a CTS-V. I suppose the LC500 also belongs from a mechanical standpoint, it's just a lot more luxury oriented than anything American.

Last edited by PizzzzzaForPresident; 12-01-2022 at 11:55 AM.
PizzzzzaForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:13 PM   #18
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzzzzaForPresident View Post
Lexus gets it. The IS-F and RC-F are pretty good contenders. 400hp+ NA V8s that are extremely reliable, but of course more expensive because they're luxury focused. They're basically Japanese luxury muscle cars, similar to a CTS-V. I suppose the LC500 also belongs from a mechanical standpoint, it's just a lot more luxury oriented than anything American.
I'd also say that the original Honda NSX and Datsun 240Z were good efforts.

But the Miata for example totally kills the great small, lightweight sports car concept by always, repeatedly over decades now, offering only a very weak and unsatisfying engine. Even that supercharged or turbocharged engine (cannot remember which they used) they briefly offered made only about 175 hp as I recall.

Jim G
Old 12-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #19
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
I'd also say that the original Honda NSX and Datsun 240Z were good efforts.

But the Miata for example totally kills the great small, lightweight sports car concept by always, repeatedly over decades now, offering only a very weak and unsatisfying engine. Even that supercharged or turbocharged engine (cannot remember which they used) they briefly offered made only about 175 hp as I recall.

Jim G
Yeah but the whole thing weighs what, 300 pounds?

Seriously though 175hp in something that tiny isn't the same as 175hp in a 5000lb car
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 03:32 PM   #20
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
Yeah but the whole thing weighs what, 300 pounds?

Seriously though 175hp in something that tiny isn't the same as 175hp in a 5000lb car
I speak from ownership experience. I've owned 2 of the Miata's over the years, each time attracted by the light weight, the handling, and the simplicity. But each time the same thing got me to sell the car: the power was just insufficient. After 2 enthusiastic tries, I gave up. :(

Jim G