Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-27-2022, 03:39 PM   #15
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I was so excited when my car rental on a business trip to FL defaulted to a convertible Mustang some years back. (I live in New England.)

Then I tried driving it in the FL heat with the top down. Even at dusk or later, it was an exercise in dehydration and noise.

FL is the place for a coupe with tinted windows and the A/C turned up. Also Fl is the place for an automatic. Traffic, flat and straight roads, panic stops to avoid incompetent drivers...
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 07:25 PM   #16
PizzzzzaForPresident

Drives: Ferrari F40
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Depends on said performance summer tire. My PS4S tires are as good in the rain and in terms of hydroplaning resistance as any all-season tire, if not better. Not so much at very low temps, naturally, but their wet traction is surreal overall.
The context of that was the Camaro being bad in the rain, not the tires. Regardless, I disagree. I exclusively run them on my SS and GT-R and they're absolutely terrible in heavy rain, even with AWD. My GT-R initially came with Michelin A/S 3 all seasons which were great during the colder/rainy months, but left too much performance on the table when the weather did cooperate. Ended up getting an older A4 as a beater instead for when the weather is really bad so I don't have to deal with keeping them clean and multiple sets of wheels/tires.
PizzzzzaForPresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:36 PM   #17
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzzzzaForPresident View Post
The context of that was the Camaro being bad in the rain, not the tires. Regardless, I disagree. I exclusively run them on my SS and GT-R and they're absolutely terrible in heavy rain, even with AWD. My GT-R initially came with Michelin A/S 3 all seasons which were great during the colder/rainy months, but left too much performance on the table when the weather did cooperate. Ended up getting an older A4 as a beater instead for when the weather is really bad so I don't have to deal with keeping them clean and multiple sets of wheels/tires.
We can certainly agree to disagree. I sure don't have the budget to run proper A/B testing on the exact same car and weather and road/track etc. (so I drove summer and all-season tires on different vehicles), but here is someone reputable who did.

https://youtu.be/421HkK4Nqss?t=624s

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:28 PM   #18
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
A lot of great comments here.
The PS4s will be our next tires. We dont drive it in the rain and I have a set of winter tires and wheels... I have driven the summer tires in as low as mid 20s and until the tires warmed up I could feel flat spots and I could easily spin the tires if I wanted.
We started out renting the 2SS verts in Florida on vacation. Yea. They do feel a little squirrely in the heavy rain. But I just put it in snow mode to keep wheel spin down and really just slow down a bit and dont over react to the pulling feeling. Its in no way a deal breaker. I had a 70Camaro in the late 70s and drove it in the snow and all, without snow tires. And I had a 70 GTO which actually was pretty good in the snow without snow tires. Growing up on front engine rear drive cars with relatively big HP it all feels natural to me and I prefer that to the constant feeling of a front driver pulling all over the place.
The stick will never bother me no matter how old I get. 67 now... DD or sunny day cruiser. I drove oversize tractor trailers for 30 years with as many as 18 gears. Theres no issue for me. And my wife loves the stick as well.
BUT... as a DD on Rt 78 in NJ I would not want my wife out there in the Vert. Too much violent stop and go... I think you need to be carefull in that kind of traffic because you can stop so much better than the vehicle behind you.
For some traffic near cities you need a battle cruiser not a high performance vert.... but thats a different story.
Old 12-01-2022, 06:03 AM   #19
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Got my vert because my wife and I both had gen1 Camaro convertibles, back in the day….
I would have gone M6 but I nodded to her wishes if we are spending that much for a toy. I wanted her to enjoy it also.
The vert makes the sight line objection disappear, but also makes the trunk room disappear when the tops down.
But to me, the wind and the growl….the pops on deceleration….make me smile.
I can’t put the top down I don’t take it….
From a personal perspective. I’ve had and driven plenty of Camaros, and gen6 V6 is a gem, but 455 pounds of torque is really something….
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #20
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I was so excited when my car rental on a business trip to FL defaulted to a convertible Mustang some years back. (I live in New England.)

Then I tried driving it in the FL heat with the top down. Even at dusk or later, it was an exercise in dehydration and noise.

FL is the place for a coupe with tinted windows and the A/C turned up. Also Fl is the place for an automatic. Traffic, flat and straight roads, panic stops to avoid incompetent drivers...
I drive my vert with the top down in 100 degree heat in FL. it's great!
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:11 AM   #21
mrgto

Drives: '10 Equinox LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
I drive my vert with the top down in 100 degree heat in FL. it's great!

Yea I love the heat so I would do the same.
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:52 AM   #22
TheDocKlopek

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I could never go back to a coupe after owning two verts and I'm in Texas! I just put on a little sun screen and off we go. The heat does not bother me so much, maybe its the fact I lived in NE Ohio for 30 years. Either way, vert 100% but everyone is different.

Make sure you get the windscreen also, that thing makes a world of difference. WELL worth the money, plus I like how it looks to top it off.
Old 12-02-2022, 07:43 AM   #23
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
Windscreen times one billiondy. And just leave it installed all the time; rearview mirror visibility is barely affected, and at night, with headlights behind you, it's as if the thing isn't even there.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 04:20 PM   #24
mrgto

Drives: '10 Equinox LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
Windscreen times one billiondy. And just leave it installed all the time; rearview mirror visibility is barely affected, and at night, with headlights behind you, it's as if the thing isn't even there.

Kids might not like it installed if they have to sit in back.
mrgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #25
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
I'm on my second one, i had a 2015 2SS vert and now drive a 2021 2SS vert. I absolutely love these cars. Mine is my DD, with the exception of significant snow fall, 3-4+". I'm in Pa and I've never gotten stuck in snow with either Camaro. As long as you know how to drive in the snow and don't drive like a D-bag, you'll be fine. I'm contemplating trading in for 2024, but we'll see. If I do, it'll be the same model, same trim! Good luck!

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 04:14 PM   #26
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Slightly off-topic but you did write that you want this vert in a manual. Keep in mind that you are only one ankle, knee, or hip injury away from an uncomfortable driving experience. Just saying...
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #27
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgto View Post
I'd just like to hear the thoughts of the Convertible owners and why you picked what you picked.
Why did I get a ZL1 vert? I like the driving experience that a big horsepower drop top offers. And because...

Six-Hundred Fifty Horsepower Convertible

While others around here do DD their Zs, I don't daily drive my ZL1 vert as it's not well suited to the task. The Mistress is a show/weekend car and I don't drive her in the rain by choice. And driving to school 2x/day would be hella fun but 12ish mpg on premium would make it an expensive bus ride. My wife drives a Solara convertible as her DD, and it's a great car for the job. A V6 RS automatic vert is a good choice for a Sarasota DD Camaro, IMO. If you can get the parking and blind spot sensors and rear-cross-traffic alert, do so. If the car doesn't come with decent rain tires, get a set of Pilot Sport AS, which do quite well around here. And 87 octane gas is a huge plus! Husky mats are great for catching that fine Siesta Beach sand.

EDIT: obligatory pic
Attached Images

Last edited by Gunkk; 12-11-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:42 PM   #28
BundiMan
The Nights Watch

Drives: 22 ZL1 M6 Vert
I live in MI and plan on moving south one day, but it stays in the garage during the winter. This is my 2nd 6th gen convertible the first was an A8 V6, and it was a fun car. My wife loved it so much that when I got the next one, that was her one request that it have a drop-top. I spoiled her with the first one and didn't want to give it up. My requirement was for the M6 since I figured this would be my last chance at getting one.
Attached Images

TPW 8/23 24 Jul 2021
3400 30 Jul 2021
3800 26 Aug 2021
4000 1 Sep 2021
6000 14 Sep 2021
57 Days from accepted order to delivery.
19 Days from build to delivery.
BundiMan is offline   Reply With Quote