Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 11-16-2022, 02:31 PM   #1
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
A tire story

This past spring and summer I took my Camaro on a long vacation to California via Rt. 66. Well, whenever it was possible. Went up hyway one to northern California to see the big trees. Then to Colorado to visit my wifes brother and his wife. He lives in a valley west of Denver. When we left his house, that morning it was 26 degrees and snowing. We crossed the mountains in a snow storm on the original summer only tires.

Got home two weeks later went on the Hot Rod Power Tour. We like to cooked off.

Anyway, before we left for HRPT I serviced the Camaro and looked at the tires. Still had some tread left but could hear what I thought was one having a broken belt.

At 18500 miles I put on a set of Michelin All Season 4s. The run flats were pretty beat up, some small cracking, but evenly worn. The guy that put the new tires on told me there were two tires with broken belts.

The long trips really beat up the run flats, and the cold weather probably didn't help.

I've only got a couple hundred on the MAS4s but I like that they are quieter and ride a bit better. Seem to handle very well.
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:34 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Yeah, <40F is pretty dangerous for summer tires.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote