Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Exhaust "Track Mode" Setting

I didn't realize until today that the exhaust has the ability to be in "Track" mode independent of what mode the steering and suspension are in. I normally keep everything in Sport mode as Track Mode has to be reselected everytime you start the car (reverts back to Tour).

My question is what did changing the Exhaust setting to "Track" actually do? Both ports are open once "Sport" is selected on each muffler so what does Track mode do to the exhaust that Sport does not?
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #2
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
nothing. They will still close at highway speeds unless you pull the fuse.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
All modes operate a little differently...Track mode keeps the valves open the longest...they still close in 5-8th gear on a A8. Sport closes in 3rd, Touring closed below 4k rpm in all gears, Snow/Ice(stealth) closed under all conditions. Touring, Sport, and Track, open for startup. Snow/Ice(Stealth) is closed for startup.

Pulling fuse 51 disables the valves and keeps them open full time in all modes.

You can also tune how the NPP valves function in the FSCM controller via HPtuners.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
on the track i do track mode for exhaust and sport for steering and turn the traction control to competition mode
Old 02-28-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Army165

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
All modes operate a little differently...Track mode keeps the valves open the longest...they still close in 5-8th gear on a A8. Sport closes in 3rd, Touring closed below 4k rpm in all gears, Snow/Ice(stealth) closed under all conditions. Touring, Sport, and Track, open for startup. Snow/Ice(Stealth) is closed for startup.

You can also tune how the NPP valves function in the FSCM controller via HPtuners.
Thanks for the detailed description, had no clue. lol
Army165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
gmw0181

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:

Good info, Thanks! I learn something new everyday on this site.
gmw0181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #7
nitrojedi

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:

I drive daily in Snow/Ice mode and its always starts open and I always have to reselect snow/ice mode.. I am unable to switch modes till my car is running..I have not been able to find a way to have a quiet startup, it's always open
nitrojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrojedi View Post
I drive daily in Snow/Ice mode and its always starts open and I always have to reselect snow/ice mode.. I am unable to switch modes till my car is running..I have not been able to find a way to have a quiet startup, it's always open
Hold the start button for 5 seconds with your foot off the brake / clutch. That will allow you to go into the settings screen and set exhaust to stealth.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrojedi View Post
You need to put the car in accessory mode. As mentioned above, *without touching the brake*, press and hold the start button till you see the dash and infotainment power up. The car will power on into accessory mode. You can then navigate through the exhaust mode settings via the infotainment system and switch the exhaust to stealth. The exhaust valves will now stay closed under all conditions, even at startup, touring, sport, and track.

If you still want the exhaust valves to change with the selected driving mode but still want the valves closed at startup, then you have to select snow/ice mode with the car in accessory mode every time before you start the car.

Or you can change the exhaust valve function with hp tuners and program Touring mode to start closed.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Quote:

Great post...have not seen that detailed like this previously!
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #11
97cavy22

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
You need to put the car in accessory mode. As mentioned above, *without touching the brake*, press and hold the start button till you see the dash and infotainment power up. The car will power on into accessory mode. You can then navigate through the exhaust mode settings via the infotainment system and switch the exhaust to stealth. The exhaust valves will now stay closed under all conditions, even at startup, touring, sport, and track.

If you still want the exhaust valves to change with the selected driving mode but still want the valves closed at startup, then you have to select snow/ice mode with the car in accessory mode every time before you start the car.

Or you can change the exhaust valve function with hp tuners and program Touring mode to start closed.
Thanks for the great info! I have not been able to get it to start closed despite wanting to do so a few times. I'll give it a try.
97cavy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:14 PM   #12
LSA

Drives: Fast
It seems as though full throttle in Sport/Tour/Track are all wide open/max volume... is this true?

I need to slightly reduce volume under full throttle. Was hoping putting the fuse back in would be the solution.
LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #13
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Just thinking about this, I might have to wire a small switch into the Fuse 51 circuit so that I can switch NPP off with valves open. Pulling fuses out seems like a pain to me, and makes sneaking home quietly late at night kind of hard
Eibach Prokit springs
Mamo LT1 Ported TB
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #14
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
I have the NPP set to Track and independent of driving modes (option in settings). I think it's the perfect amount of noise when I want it and I appreciate when it goes quiet so it never gets annoying.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote