Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 02-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
Black Beauty
"The Camaro Whisperer"

Drives: 2010&1969Camaros,03 Impala,76Nova
Arrow Black Beauty's Build . One man's dream one car's destiny [COTW 4/1/13]

Black Beauty's, story begins in an emergency room at 2:30 a.m on a sunday morning in september, 2008. I just had surgery a week before, and experienced complications, by the time we arrived in the emergency room I had lost half the blood volume in my body, and had to have a blood transfusion. As I lay there not knowing at the time if I would walk out of there. I thought of the one dream I've had in my heart since I was a 19 year old kid of having an award winning street driven show car. The year was 1987, and I was in the Navy when I received the call my father had passed away with heart problems. We had planned on buying a car, and restoring it together when I got out. I had one year left. I still bought a car a 1969 camaro, and planned on restoring it in honor of my father. The car is currently under construction now, and will be Black Beauty's Beast. Where my dream takes an amazing turn is the next month when we are at a local Chevrolet dealer on October 13, 2008, and ordering a black 2010 Camaro SS for my wife, who has always loved my 69 camaro we had bought 1 month after we were married in 1988. We had been talking about this car since Chevrolet started talking about creating a new camaro based off the 69 camaro. There couldn't have been a more perfect first brand new car for my bride of 20 years. We received the vin. number, and was surprised we would have number 1772 off the assembly line. We had our first permagrin. My wife talked with me and said, knowing it would still be a few years before my old camaro would be completed, why not use her awesome car, and modify it, and go for my dream now, and do this together. I was overwelmed, and felt a peace in my heart I hadn't felt since I lost my father. On June 18, 2009 her new camaro rolled off the car transporter. My wife signed all the papers, was handed the keys, and became the owner of the Camaro that would become known as Black Beauty, and my dream of having an award winning show car began..... We were able to uncover the car ourselves, and our first mods were installed before we left the lot.... BBEAUTY personalized plate, and three ss emblems, one on each fender, and one on the passenger side dash old school style locations. We left the dealership, and had the windows tinted all on the same day.
Attached Images

Last edited by Black Beauty; 03-15-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Black Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Finally! You started telling the story of the great Black Beauty. (after what, a couple years of me bugging you?)

Okay, continue the story.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #3
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Great start to a great thread, my car is a rolling tribute to my Father!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #4
Chevrolade
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Badass. !!
Chevrolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
Awesome!
Old 02-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Black Beauty
"The Camaro Whisperer"

Window tinting

Black Beauty putting her shades on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Black Beauty; 03-15-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Black Beauty
"The Camaro Whisperer"

Red Demon SS, I've been following your car. Nice build, and great tribute.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Black Beauty
"The Camaro Whisperer"

2nd Phase Begins July 2009

List of Mods installed month of July 2009
Exteme Motorsports Retro 1st gen rear spoiler
Camaro SS floor mats
Camaro SS trunk mat
Rear diffuser panel painted to match car
chrome trim rear diffuser panel
chrome trim exhaust ports
corner rear trunk lid ss fillers
trunk lid chrome bumper covers
trunk lid interior chrome push in clips
trunk latch cover chrome
trunk shock covers chrome
trunk emergency pull ss chrome
tail light blackout kit
back up light, side marker light and turn signal light blackout kit
chevrolet emblem blackout kit
black trim vinyl decals for area around lugnuts and chevrolet decal for centercaps

Interior billet trim pieces are as follows
a/c knob covers, console guage cluster trim rings
radio knobs, turn signal, and trunk release bezels
upper vent covers, seat button covers
door speaker trim rings, door lock bezels
door kick panels, window switch covers
chrome drink holder cover, chrome SS shifter handle

1st phase under hood mods
Engine cover coil packs section only painted gloss black with ss emblem on center of engine cover
SS fuse lid cover
strut covers
battery terminal cover
Dip stick handle
Hood installation clips
window wiper nut covers
radiator, overflow,master cylinder, oil, windshield washer, and ac line caps
tensioner pulley cover
Heat sink, master cylinder,shock tower,relay box,and wire harness covers
chevrolet emblem under hood inlay
under hood bolt, and nut cover kit
Black Beauty's name put on engine cover
Chevrolet chrome door sill plates
Attached Images

Last edited by Black Beauty; 02-07-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #9
Black Beauty
"The Camaro Whisperer"

First two carshows after mods are installed

It took us one year to install 2nd phase of modifications. My wife drove the camaro every day during this time. Then we entered our car in a YMCA show September 2010, and received our first award a top 50 pick, & missed Best Of Show by 1 point but were excited. Black Beauty was a hit right off the bat, we knew we had the car moving in the right direction. We installed a Spectre cold air induction system in preparation for our first major car show. World Street Finals LS Shootout at Gateway International Raceway Oct. 7-10 2010. We received our first major awards. As follows:
Camaro5 BEST OF SHOW EVENT WINNER
Camaro5 BEST OF SHOW WINNERS JACKET
Camaro5 Event Winner LSX Shootout Award
Camaro5 5th Gen Camaro top 10 award
GM Performance Top 20 LS Powered Vehicle award
Editors Choice NMCA Top 25 award
LS MUSCLE Car Top 10 award
Pictured in The NMCA Magazine

We were on top of the world and knew that our little Black Beauty had arrived as a contender on the National Car Show Circuit.
Attached Images

Last edited by Black Beauty; 03-16-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:22 AM   #10
Black Beauty
"The Camaro Whisperer"

December 2010 Preparing for the Hunters Custom Auto Expo Nashville TN.

Next wave of modifications began in preparation for my biggest challenge yet, winning the Hunters Custom Auto Expo. A dream I'd had since I was thirteen years old.
Cold air induction box painted black
New set of Metal FX 20 inch rims mounted on my factory tires. ten inch out back, and nines up front deep dish old school look.
T-Rex Upper two-part grille
Painted center and edges of rotors
Carbon Fiber Plenum Cover
Chrome hood Hinges
Chrome trunk hinges
Side window louvers

We had looked for the right wheels for six months, and finally the set I found fit a mustang but luck would be on our side, the guy searched, and found the last set made for a 2010 camaro, and had them shipped from California. A week later they were on the car, and became a christmas present for my wife.We entered Black Beauty in the show, and were placed in one of the back buildings but soon there was a buzz being heard throughout the show about the black 2010 camaro. As sunday award time rolled around we were pretty excited, and hoped we would win our class. When it came time to announce the winner sure enough my name was called. It was a very special moment as my family was there to witness this great win. I was waiting for them to call the Hunters fab 5 winners names, which each winner shares the BEST OF SHOW honors, and each get a 5 foot trophy. I didn't think we had a chance against $250,000 trailor queens, and no new vehicle had ever won the Hunters show, but when they announced the third name it was mine. I wont lie to you either I cried like a baby. We left that show dropped the trophy off at the house, and drove the camaro to Richmond VA. for vacation. About this time I became the president of the Music City Camaro Club, and Black Beauty was adopted into her new camaro family.
Attached Images

Last edited by Black Beauty; 02-07-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #11
Black Beauty
"The Camaro Whisperer"

Ceremony time Hunters Custom Auto Show

Keeping fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Old 02-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
Behic2320
SoCal HT5 COTW 4/21/13

Drives: 2011 SS/RS Blown & Cammed LS3
Cool Build and Awesome Pics
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
Black Beauty
"The Camaro Whisperer"

Black Beauty's first drag race. Music City Raceway 1/8th mile Oct. 15 2011

The first of October 2011 we installed six mods

Terminator carbon fiber hood VIS Motorsports
Lower T-Rex Grille
Red interior Led lighting
Chrome fog light bezels
Chrome reverse light bezels
One off custom made stainless steel under hood inserts 5 pc set the center piece not completed at time of these pics.

The night my father, & I raced as one.

Inaugural Music City Camaro Fest was held at the same racetrack I grew up at. I would watch my father drag race there in the early 80's, and dream of racing there one day myself. On Oct. 15th that dream would come true. As I rolled onto the grounds one of my dad's old racing buddies was standing by an old tree, and waved to me. I hadn't seen him in years but he recognized me. When I saw him it was as if I had come back home. I had brought one of my fathers pictures in his racecar to ride shotgun with me that day. I felt with him riding shotgun I could do no wrong. I'd be dragracing for the first time in my life. I was extremely nervous when I pulled onto the track, but as I staged I could hear my fathers voice tell me what to do. As my first pass ended I could feel him in the car with me. When the race started we won round after round. everyone else was struggling to get traction but Black Beauty bit and was gone it was as if she had someone hold her to that track. The final round was one I'll remember for the rest of my life. I was racing one of my closest friends. It was way past dark at this point, and as I was about to stage, I looked over to the passenger seat at my fathers picture as I had done all day, but as I turned, for a split second I saw my father sitting in that passenger seat looking back at me, and then realized it was my own reflection off the glass & I had aged into my father's image. Everything went quiet as I staged. I didn't see the crowd. I only saw the christmas tree and watched the lights come down everything was going in slow motion. The car next to me got the jump on me, but as he shifted into 2nd, I was running him down, and when he shifted into 3rd, I was beside him as he shifted into 4th, I pulled ahead. I crossed the beam, and saw my win light come on. As we slowed my friend Bryan Sparks, pulled up beside me pointed to me, and gave me the thumbs up. That was one of the greatest feelings I've ever had in my entire life, and one I'll never forget, as I looked back over I saw my fathers image fade away into the night. I took my fathers picture along with my wife to the winners area, and had our winners picture made at the same place my father had so many years ago. The same night we also won the BEST OF SHOW award. That night was destiny. I hope you enjoy these pics. especially since that night honored my father. James Allen Mayes
Attached Images

Last edited by Black Beauty; 05-11-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #14
Black Beauty
"The Camaro Whisperer"

More dragracing photos

Enjoy
Attached Images

Last edited by Black Beauty; 02-11-2013 at 09:58 PM.