Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-05-2022, 05:51 PM   #1
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Changed thermostat without making a mess

Needed to replace the thermostat on one of my cars today, had seen some videos where they drove the car up on ramps to keep the coolant from leaking out when the housing was removed. I don’t have ramps, so as an alternative to this or draining it down, I used a heavy duty garbage bag to catch the small amount of coolant that came out. Probably less than a cup or two came out, so not something to be too concerned about.
Attached Images

Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
302crossram

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin 2SS
nice, did you replace it due to failure or for a lower temp.
I used to live in Scottsdale, under hood Temps sure do get hotter...
302crossram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 07:37 PM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Not a bad idea.

I like the katech 174 myself. Not a huge difference, but just takes the edge off
Old 11-05-2022, 08:25 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
While we're on this topic... was I the only person to get ready to drain the radiator for fresh Dexcool and be unable to find a radiator cap?

I ended up removing the upper radiator hose at the thermostat housing to refill, but I did feel pretty stupid to assume there would be a old fashion pressure cap somewhere under the hood.

Everything went fine, especially since, on a whim, I bought this ratcheting hose clamp removal tool (actually for lower radiator hoses I think) but it gave me a "third hand" to facilitate the maneuver very smoothly- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...+5ba28fd9454f1

Anyway, this works well but am I getting really stupid... or do we not have a rad cap? To be completely transparent (getting as tired of that phrase as me?), I carried a bunch of CD's in my car for the first several years before I realized it does not have a CD player (I just like listening to the engine), so anything is possible with my current LOC (level of consciousness). Little help??
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302crossram View Post
nice, did you replace it due to failure or for a lower temp.
I used to live in Scottsdale, under hood Temps sure do get hotter...
I replaced it due to failure or possibly it was a 160 a previous owner put in without a tune. I got a code once back in February shortly after getting the car, then it never happened again, presumably because the weather warmed up quickly after that. Once things cooled down again last week I got it twice. Hopefully it’s fixed. Tested the old one, looks faulty to me. Wide open at 120 degrees
Attached Images

Last edited by Sephx1; 11-06-2022 at 12:44 PM.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote