Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-13-2022, 11:00 PM   #211
vampire

Drives: '19 M2C / '19 ZL1
I ordered the wrong can (part#12599) thanks to some members here my bad.
took it to the exhaust shop, happy to install it, then was embarrassed: "this can is too big for your car", the shop owner said.

lucky me he bought it the same day.

now the "right muffler is on the way (part#12469), hopefully.
vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 10:03 PM   #212
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampire View Post
I ordered the wrong can (part#12599) thanks to some members here my bad.
took it to the exhaust shop, happy to install it, then was embarrassed: "this can is too big for your car", the shop owner said.

lucky me he bought it the same day.

now the "right muffler is on the way (part#12469), hopefully.
Post up a sound clip when its done if you can

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:32 AM   #213
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katech_Zach View Post
It isn't exactly simple physics with the dual y vs x pipe. You dont have two full 3" pipes flowing the max possible volume 24/7 into a merge. An engine fires exhaust pulses, so you are getting pulses of exhaust that alternate between the two sides. The purpose of an X-pipe is to theoretically help the scavenging effect of the pressure differential created by the exhaust pulses.

I will say, with this increase in back pressure, you will need to get your car tuned around it. I wouldn't be surprised if it created drivability quirks on a non-revised tune.

If you want a muffler that will give the same effect as the magnaflow, with a much better "X" internal design, for less price, use the following jones muffler MF2469 (pics in page 12 from my last post): https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...4aAsryEALw_wcB

A-B tested it on a car making over 850rwhp. It resulted in no loss in power, and made an off-road ARH/Borla Atak system sound great
Zach, I ordered this muffler since I had the Magnaflow and its the EXACT same design. Its a Y design with a single 3" diameter pipe in the middle. Not sure if it was redesigned but for those looking to replace the Magnaflow with a Jones muffler, there's no difference.

Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:34 PM   #214
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
Zach, I ordered this muffler since I had the Magnaflow and its the EXACT same design. Its a Y design with a single 3" diameter pipe in the middle. Not sure if it was redesigned but for those looking to replace the Magnaflow with a Jones muffler, there's no difference.

Well that sucks. When I pulled my cats off I had the mbrp resonators installed in that spot and it was much quieter, did you try those yet?

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:50 PM   #215
Katech_Zach

Drives: 14 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Oddly enough, I did some investigating...

For the customer we tested on, we ordered the same part number (Jones MF2469) from either Turn14 or Motorstate (not sure which). This was a true X-pipe pictured below. I went and opened the box for my mid-muffler that I ordered (same part number) and it is indeed a dual Y like yours. I then checked one we had on the shelf for a future customer, and it is also a dual Y. Same part numbers, 2 ordered from summit, 1 ordered from a different warehouse. I have a feeling summit's lot is all misboxed mufflers, or they made a design change for no reason.

The alternative that I will now be a test dummy for is dual MBRP R1017 straight-through mufflers which are 22" resonators. In theory since there is more "muffled volume" and it is a longer case length, it should effectively be a little quieter.

https://mbrpexhauststore.com/r1017-m...-overall-t304/

Shown below is what the x pipe should look like in jones MF2469

For now, I would avoid ordering the summit link that i posted for the Jones MF2469 and source it elsewhere. I apologize for the bad link, the part number is indeed correct, but it does appear that summit has a bad inventory batch
Katech_Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:23 PM   #216
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1973 View Post
Well that sucks. When I pulled my cats off I had the mbrp resonators installed in that spot and it was much quieter, did you try those yet?
Do you know which ones? Is the same as what Zach posted below? MBRP R1017

Quote:
Oddly enough, I did some investigating...

For the customer we tested on, we ordered the same part number (Jones MF2469) from either Turn14 or Motorstate (not sure which). This was a true X-pipe pictured below. I went and opened the box for my mid-muffler that I ordered (same part number) and it is indeed a dual Y like yours. I then checked one we had on the shelf for a future customer, and it is also a dual Y. Same part numbers, 2 ordered from summit, 1 ordered from a different warehouse. I have a feeling summit's lot is all misboxed mufflers, or they made a design change for no reason.

The alternative that I will now be a test dummy for is dual MBRP R1017 straight-through mufflers which are 22" resonators. In theory since there is more "muffled volume" and it is a longer case length, it should effectively be a little quieter.

https://mbrpexhauststore.com/r1017-m...-overall-t304/

Shown below is what the x pipe should look like in jones MF2469

For now, I would avoid ordering the summit link that i posted for the Jones MF2469 and source it elsewhere. I apologize for the bad link, the part number is indeed correct, but it does appear that summit has a bad inventory batch
So, I suspect there has been a redesign at some point on the Jones muffler much like the Magnaflow muffler that was originally posted has probably been redesigned at some point too. In response to using resonators instead, I have tried the Vibrant 1795 resonators which are 3" in/out and 18" overall length, they do help to tame the rasp but they do little to quiet the exhaust since there's no packing inside. I have not seen a resonator longer than 18" until the MBRP R1017 posted. I'm sure it will be VERY slightly quieter than the Vibrant 1795 but not by much. Resonators by nature do little to quiet the exhaust volume so much as change the tone some due to eliminated unwanted frequencies.

I swear when I installed my Magnaflow it was a true X and not a dual Y design, but now that I've seen some that are a dual Y design, its got me questioning what I originally saw. I did purchase my Magnaflow muffler last year, I just finally got around to installing it about 3 months ago, so if the design changed, I was thinking I might have the older true X design but now I can't be certain because its been so long ago. I may end up going with dual resonators again even if its louder.

There is one more option though even though its not ideal either, the SLP Loudmouth 2 PN 31067 bullet muffler. These are shaped like resonators but they actually have packing inside. They are 3" in/out however they do shrink to about 2.5" internally to allow for the packing in the 4" body of the muffler. Obviously going to a dual 2.5" section of pipe is more restrictive than dual 3" exhaust, but it should still be considerably more free flowing than a single 3" pipe section.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #217
Katech_Zach

Quote:

So, I suspect there has been a redesign at some point on the Jones muffler much like the Magnaflow muffler that was originally posted has probably been redesigned at some point too. In response to using resonators instead, I have tried the Vibrant 1795 resonators which are 3" in/out ant 18" overall length, they do help to tame the rasp but they do little to quiet the exhaust since there's no packing inside. I have not seen a resonator longer than 18" until the MBRP R1017 posted. I'm sure it will be VERY slightly quieter than the Vibrant 1795 but not by much. Resonators by nature do little to quiet the exhaust volume so much as change the tone some due to eliminated unwanted frequencies.

I swear when I installed my Magnaflow it was a true X and not a dual Y design, but now that I've seen some that are a dual Y design, its got me questioning what I originally saw. I did purchase my Magnaflow muffler last year, I just finally got around to installing it about 3 months ago, so if the design changed, I was thinking I might have the older true X design but now I can't be certain because its been so long ago. I may end up going with dual resonators again even if its louder.

There is one more option though even though its not ideal either, the SLP Loudmouth 2 PN 31067 bullet muffler. These are shaped like resonators but they actually have packing inside. They are 3" in/out however they do shrink to about 2.5" internally to allow for the packing in the 4" body of the muffler. Obviously going to a dual 2.5" section of pipe is more restrictive than dual 3" exhaust, it should still be considerably more free flowing than a single 3" pipe section.
I believe these are packed with some sort of fiberglass, it is hard to see. I sent an email to inquire.

Internally, these neck down to ~2.75 similar to the SLP you are referring to. So there is 0.625" radially to fit packing if they designed it that way. They do feel solid/heavy, and not pingy/hollow, so it is possible the MBRP have a muffler packing.

The volume is not too bad on the ARH + S-Type setup, but it does have some harsh tones that I am trying to get rid of. If this go around doesnt work, I will be selling the borla S-type and switching to a stainless works legends series as a new base muffler. I heard a car in person with that system and it sounded great
Old 06-20-2022, 01:40 PM   #218
Z OH 6

Quote:
I believe these are packed with some sort of fiberglass, it is hard to see. I sent an email to inquire.

Internally, these neck down to ~2.75 similar to the SLP you are referring to. So there is 0.625" radially to fit packing if they designed it that way. They do feel solid/heavy, and not pingy/hollow, so it is possible the MBRP have a muffler packing.

The volume is not too bad on the ARH + S-Type setup, but it does have some harsh tones that I am trying to get rid of. If this go around doesnt work, I will be selling the borla S-type and switching to a stainless works legends series as a new base muffler. I heard a car in person with that system and it sounded great
Interesting, keep us posted. I'm torn because I really prefer the sound of mine with the Magaflow muffler in place although I wouldn't hate it if it were a few db louder under part throttle, its quiet when it needs to be and loud when I want it to be without being obnoxious. When I had the Vibrant 1795 resonators on in place of the Magnaflow, it sounded good honestly at part throttle but it was just NASCAR loud under heavy throttle and I just felt like it was drawing too much attention to my car when I wanted to be playful.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:43 PM   #219
airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
Quote:

I have the same setup with ARH + Borla and added the MRBP resonators because it sounded good but had some harsh tones. It sounds great and aggressive there’s still a pretty harsh tone at some load areas of the RPM band but it took the edge off a bit… I wish the MRBPs did a hair more but getting the performance back that the Magnaflow robbed and taking the edge off has me happy enough for now. The Borlas have that straight through section as well as the part that goes through the main muffled section so, I tend to think it’s a characteristic of the muffler now and someone’s mileage may vary if they are using the stock catback.
airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:07 PM   #220
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:

So, I suspect there has been a redesign at some point on the Jones muffler much like the Magnaflow muffler that was originally posted has probably been redesigned at some point too. In response to using resonators instead, I have tried the Vibrant 1795 resonators which are 3" in/out and 18" overall length, they do help to tame the rasp but they do little to quiet the exhaust since there's no packing inside. I have not seen a resonator longer than 18" until the MBRP R1017 posted. I'm sure it will be VERY slightly quieter than the Vibrant 1795 but not by much. Resonators by nature do little to quiet the exhaust volume so much as change the tone some due to eliminated unwanted frequencies.

There is one more option though even though its not ideal either, the SLP Loudmouth 2 PN 31067 bullet muffler. These are shaped like resonators but they actually have packing inside. They are 3" in/out however they do shrink to about 2.5" internally to allow for the packing in the 4" body of the muffler. Obviously going to a dual 2.5" section of pipe is more restrictive than dual 3" exhaust, but it should still be considerably more free flowing than a single 3" pipe section.
Yep same ones. 22” made my catless setup much quieter, I took them back off when the gesi gen 2’s came out. Then it was to quiet

LME 377 LT4 Short Block | Magnuson 2650 80mm upper w/13% lower (9.06) | DSX Lid & Valve Covers | CSP Custom Cam w/32% fuel lobe | CID Heads | NW 103mm TB | Roto Fab Big Gulp | CSP 2" Headers w/Green GESI Gen 2 Cats | Borla 3" Full Cat Back w/ S-Type| Mighty Mouse Wild Catch Can| Custom Holley Low side Fuel system| TooHigh PSI Port Injection w/Holley Controller | Forced Inductions Interchiller w/2 gallon fender tank | TK Performance built 10L90
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 05:12 PM   #221
Katech_Zach

A follow up to anyone inquiring about the MBRP R1017 route:

Email response from their engineers:

"Good Afternoon -
R1017 is 3” Inlet/Outlet, 22” Body Length, 4” Outside Body Diameter, 26” overall Length.
It has a layer of stainless steel wool over a 3” perforated core with the remaining area filled with ceramic blanket.
"

As I suspected, there is quite a bit packed in that. It should bring down the volume quite a bit (not as much as a true muffler). Airtroop and Camaro1973 have some good feedback as well that is promising.

I think in the end, the tone of the borla mufflers in off-road exhaust setups is a bit too raspy for most people. In all street/catted setups, the borla mufflers sound great.

I'd be curious to try the high HP gesi cats as well. I am still going to stick to my gut and switch to the stainless works legends series when the time is right.

Another theory that myself and another tech have, the exhaust port (even when cnc ported) is very tiny coming out of the header. When using a 2" header, the exhaust gases take a very sharp turn coming out of the port, and collides with the 2" primary walls. i think this is a big source of harshness in any exhaust tone. I am planning on doing a CNC stainless exhaust flange to properly transition from the LT4 exhaust port to a standard size pipe primary. This test will be for another day
Old 06-20-2022, 05:46 PM   #222
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
I have an issue with the MBPR resonnators I bought for my system. I have ARH 2" hdrs with high flow cats into 3" straight pipe to AWE touring. The area in the middle of the area where the resonnators (pic below) go will not allow fitment. The pipes (pic below) I have are too close to one another to install them. I would have to try and bend them after cutting and it is next to impossible to move them that much. In the center they run about and 1" apart. You need more room for the body of the resonnators to fit. Consequently I cannot install these resonnators and will sell them.
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:32 PM   #223
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
I have an issue with the MBPR resonnators I bought for my system. I have ARH 2" hdrs with high flow cats into 3" straight pipe to AWE touring. The area in the middle of the area where the resonnators (pic below) go will not allow fitment. The pipes (pic below) I have are too close to one another to install them. I would have to try and bend them after cutting and it is next to impossible to move them that much. In the center they run about and 1" apart. You need more room for the body of the resonnators to fit. Consequently I cannot install these resonnators and will sell them.
Whatcha want for them?
Old 06-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #224
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Whatcha want for them?
Pm me, looks like we may live close by.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote