Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-10-2022, 05:38 AM   #1
wbcamaro6

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Engine Movement at idle

Hello all, could anybody give me insight on what’s going on ? The car has 55k on the odo but everything mechanically and electrically checks out the only issue is every now and again when idling in the car I can feel the engine vibrate/ pulse a little hard I was thinking maybe the engine mounts… if you can help it would be much appreciated
Old 06-10-2022, 07:12 AM   #2
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
my 8k milage v8 is the same. i think it's normal. i did run a can of injector cleaner through the gas tank and it helped a little.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:37 AM   #3
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbcamaro6 View Post
Hello all, could anybody give me insight on what’s going on ? The car has 55k on the odo but everything mechanically and electrically checks out the only issue is every now and again when idling in the car I can feel the engine vibrate/ pulse a little hard I was thinking maybe the engine mounts… if you can help it would be much appreciated
You are not alone I have the same exact issue.

When resting at idle, the RPMS drop to 500 then back to 600 where my idle point is supposed to be. It does this intermittently, doesn't matter if the engine is cold or at running temp.

Mostly does it when the engine is warming up. I can feel it when it happens, and even the idle resonance of the engine changes.

I was going to post about it and I do have a video of it.

Issue occurs at the beginning of the video within the first 8 seconds

2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq

Last edited by FlukeSS; 06-10-2022 at 08:22 AM.
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:39 AM   #4
wbcamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
my 8k milage v8 is the same. i think it's normal. i did run a can of injector cleaner through the gas tank and it helped a little.
Thank you, I don’t believe it’s serious but it might just be that or worst case a new drive shaft
Old 06-10-2022, 07:40 AM   #5
wbcamaro6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post

When resting at idle, the RPMS drop to 500 then back to 600 where my idle point is supposed to be. It does this intermittently, doesn't matter if the engine is cold or at running temp.

Mostly does it when the engine is warming up. I can feel it when it happens, and even the idle resonance of the engine changes.

Pending video upload
Same, my does it when it’s warming up but after it’s up to operating temps it’s barely there
Old 06-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #6
1badtie

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
my past 3 GM trucks have done this same thing.

2010 2SS RS --- SOLD
MODS-
Performance: BMR trailing arms & bushings | BMR Toe links | X-pipe | Muffler delete | Vmax ported throttle body | Apex "strong" MAS | Vararam CAI | Apex catch can | Kooks Headers | Kooks HF Cats | Dyno tuned by GPI 417 RWHP 409 FT-Lb
Cosmetic: painted Zl1 rockers | Zl1 grill | AAC side markers | AAC LED backup lights | windows tint | taillight tint | JDP tow hook | all emblems blacked out | LED fogs
1badtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 09:50 AM   #7
Camaro fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post

Issue occurs at the beginning of the video within the first 8 seconds

must be normal mine is the same . try a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank. no harm trying. calmed mine down a little
Old 06-10-2022, 10:06 AM   #8
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Outside air temp, engine temp, humidity, elevation and fuel source all makes a difference. All three 6th gens have done the same thing to one degree or another, with the ZL1 idling the smoothest of all. I’ve also noticed (or imagined) things smooth out after a bit a extended Italian tune up.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 10:14 AM   #9
Camaro fanboy

yeah i find after a good long hard run it seems to idle better. good clean out as they say.
from googling it's totaly normal. they designed them to be a bit lumpy on idle. check on the vette forums
Old 06-10-2022, 10:59 AM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My 2017 ZL1 is the same way idling until the engine warms up. You don’t have an issue in my opinion.��
Old 06-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
There are basically two idle scenarios:
1) cold start, open loop idle - the engine runs off a set of maps for given conditions. No feedback from oxygen sensor

2) closed loop idle - when all sensors are warmed up and ECM can rely on their feedback to adjust air/fuel mixture accordingly

If your idle is fluctuating in open loop, no worries. Closed loop idle should be steady.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #12
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro fanboy View Post
yeah i find after a good long hard run it seems to idle better. good clean out as they say.
from googling it's totaly normal. they designed them to be a bit lumpy on idle. check on the vette forums
Same here, after a while it doesn't do it anymore.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
Old 06-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #13
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
1) cold start, open loop idle - the engine runs off a set of maps for given conditions. No feedback from oxygen sensor

2) closed loop idle - when all sensors are warmed up and ECM can rely on their feedback to adjust air/fuel mixture accordingly

If your idle is fluctuating in open loop, no worries. Closed loop idle should be steady.
Refer to my video, you can see my operating temp is reached and I still get the issue, but not very often.

I was deciding given the mileage about doing a tune up.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:11 PM   #14
taylorforschool@gmail.com
PKG4U

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post

You sound like you know you’re stuff

Maybe you could tell me why my 6th gear makes a noise and higher gears at cruising under minimal pedal application (just flowing along) one of those higher shifts tends to be very…slow to engage. Actually experience a quick jump of 50-100 rpm right before the drop in RPMs and a hard shift.. I’ve never experienced this small stutter or catch in the gears before.. doesn’t happen in manual paddle shifting. Doesn’t happen under WOT. This is also not the known 3-4 hard shift have been able to verify. Sorry to thread hijack

Mods after Warranty “Imma keep it stock”
taylorforschool@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote