Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Oil in sound tube

I've done my best to Google and use the search function but only can find posts regarding deleting the sound tube.

I was trying to install K&N intake when I took off the sound tube and heard something moving inside.

Wanted to make this just in case someone else had this happen

https://youtu.be/VZPWgUavt64
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
I've done my best to Google and use the search function but only can find posts regarding deleting the sound tube.

I was trying to install K&N intake when I took off the sound tube and heard something moving inside.

Wanted to make this just in case someone else had this happen

https://youtu.be/VZPWgUavt64
Holy crap that was a lot of oil!

Something definitely ain't right there, no way should there be oil in the sound tube...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
What the hell lol. Only thing I can think of was that it was hooked up wrong. The tube is supposed to go from the firewall to the intake tube. In that event there's no way for oil to get in there
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
What the hell lol. Only thing I can think of was that it was hooked up wrong. The tube is supposed to go from the firewall to the intake tube. In that event there's no way for oil to get in there
I’m confused as well, I noticed that the area near the firewall that K&N wants us to zip tie already was zip tied so maybe previous owner had something

Tracy Lewis on FB recommended me to do a compression test, once I can get a kit I’ll try and hope nothings too far gone. Best guess from them was the ring land

Old 05-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #5
HCI2000SS

Quote:
I’m confused as well, I noticed that the area near the firewall that K&N wants us to zip tie already was zip tied so maybe previous owner had something

Tracy Lewis on FB recommended me to do a compression test, once I can get a kit I’ll try and hope nothings too far gone. Best guess from them was the ring land
Yeah is be a bit nervous about this car. Good idea on the compression test. What was zip tied and where exactly? BTW I just deleted my sound tube, and it was bone dry as it should be.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:56 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Yeah is be a bit nervous about this car. Good idea on the compression test. What was zip tied and where exactly? BTW I just deleted my sound tube, and it was bone dry as it should be.
Step #8 on here is where the zip tie was already

Old 05-23-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Ok gotcha. So basically the remainder of the tube that was attached to the firewall, was just capped and zip tied to the brace. When you removed the rest of the sound tube where was it attached to? Obviously not where it was capped and zip tied since you said it was already that way
Old 05-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Ok gotcha. So basically the remainder of the tube that was attached to the firewall, was just capped and zip tied to the brace. When you removed the rest of the sound tube where was it attached to? Obviously not where it was capped and zip tied since you said it was already that way
Sorry I mistyped, the sound tube itself was connected as it should’ve been from the firewall portion to the bottom of the OEM intake. It was just already zip tied but still connected.

Not sure where that much oil could’ve came from, only place is from the air filter or throttle body and neither make sense to me.

I have put the OEM intake back on with the sound tube plugged in like OEM while I wait for a part but will check for any oil next time around

Old 05-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Sorry I mistyped, the sound tube itself was connected as it should’ve been from the firewall portion to the bottom of the OEM intake. It was just already zip tied but still connected.

Not sure where that much oil could’ve came from, only place is from the air filter or throttle body and neither make sense to me.

I have put the OEM intake back on with the sound tube plugged in like OEM while I wait for a part but will check for any oil next time around
Ok that makes sense. I don't see how oil would get into the filter. The sound tube sits in front of the throttle body, so it doesn't make a lot of sense how it would come from there. It has to be from the overflow line that goes into the tube. That's the only thing that makes sense to me
Old 05-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #10
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Maybe someone at one time was spraying the throttle plate clean and put the throttle tube back on and some of it got cuaght in the sound tube. There is no reason there should be oil in there. Are you sure its oil?
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:43 PM   #11
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Might be similar because it is the same basic V6, but our ‘08 GMC Acadia had a crankcase breather about 99% plugged, which increased crankcase pressure and pushed a whole bunch of oily crap up into the intake just before the throttle body. Got so bad that in the winter it would fill the intake tube in about two weeks to the point that the excess moisture would freeze the throttle body and force limp mode. I took out the breather, drilled out the holes, and the problem went totally away. I call it a breather because it looks just like a traditional PCV valve but it is just a hollow one piece housing with some specific sized holes in it. On a FWD car it was on the drivers side of the rear valve cover, so if it is on the Camaro V6, maybe on the rear of the passenger side valve cover? Something easy to check out, anyway.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #12
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Beast View Post
Maybe someone at one time was spraying the throttle plate clean and put the throttle tube back on and some of it got cuaght in the sound tube. There is no reason there should be oil in there. Are you sure its oil?
Pretty sure it's oil, I changed my oil about 400 miles ago and it looked the same. I know in the last 20k miles I had put in a can of Lucas after the intake filter but that was almost a year ago, didn't check back then if it was there sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Might be similar because it is the same basic V6, but our ‘08 GMC Acadia had a crankcase breather about 99% plugged, which increased crankcase pressure and pushed a whole bunch of oily crap up into the intake just before the throttle body. Got so bad that in the winter it would fill the intake tube in about two weeks to the point that the excess moisture would freeze the throttle body and force limp mode. I took out the breather, drilled out the holes, and the problem went totally away. I call it a breather because it looks just like a traditional PCV valve but it is just a hollow one piece housing with some specific sized holes in it. On a FWD car it was on the drivers side of the rear valve cover, so if it is on the Camaro V6, maybe on the rear of the passenger side valve cover? Something easy to check out, anyway.
Don't know much about that but I do know that the crank case vent plugs into the intake tubing as shown in step #11 on the K&N intake instructions. Is that related?

Old 05-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #13
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Kinda related. Here’s what I deduced after finding and fixing the problem. Going from memory here, we don’t have the car any more: there are two paths for the crankcase pressure (caused by piston blow-by). One is thru the little breather I mentioned and into the intake behind the throttle body so the vapors are burnt in combustion. The orifices meter the amount it lets out so you get just the right amount of crankcase pressure. The second path is usually from intake valley or valve cover into the cold air intake in front of the throttle body. When the orifices in the first path get blocked with varnish, crankcase pressure increases. Also, since path one is blocked, path two is the only path for pressure to go. Pressure increases so that instead of just vapors going out path two, it starts pushing oil thru as well, up into the cold air intake. I didn’t have a sound tube on this car, but since it is connected to the same area as where the oily crap is accumulating, it might be pushing it into your sound tube. Crankcase pressure increases the older an engine gets (from more blow-by), so the older my car got, the more oil would accumulate. Until I fixed the blocked orifices and restored the ying-yang of the breather system. Then all was good. Anyway, that’s my little story.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #14
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Holy heck that's a good catch can lol
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catch can, intake, oil, sound tube