Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Very simple for our 3 cars. Once a year which equals 4-6k miles each. Else the 5k mark is about right for me but I don't lose sleep if it goes to 6k.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #30
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
That is exactly how your oil gets dirty. Particles get through the air filter and past the piston rings. Do some reading on this and you will see. Why else do they tell you to change more frequently if you are in a dusty environment?
What kind of crazy car are you driving that doesnt use an oil filter?
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #31
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
The problem I see with this very long "recommended" miles and intervals is the marketing aspect. I think its worse with these, than with the 3K recommendation.

Take a close look at the first post, which defines "severe". Once a week in stop and go? Idleing? Short trips? Over 90 degrees outside? This is considered "severe"? I don't know about you guys, but a lot of it sounds pretty "normal" to me. If not experiencing any of these "severe" conditions is nescessary for the oil to get its maximum "life", sounds like pie-in-the sky to me.

I think the 3K guys still have it right.

You left a couple key words out there. Extensive idling. Repeated short trips. There were others in the original post. But are the difference between 'regular use' and 'severe use'. Also, I think you misunderstood what was meant by "
If you do drive in any one of these conditions in a typical week, you are driving in severe conditions" They don't mean if you do it once, you are now abusing your engine. They mean that if any of those scenarios represent typical usage for you, then you should change your oil more often.

Letting your car idle for up to a couple minutes at a time is no big problem. But letting it idle for a long time (such as being stuck in traffic for 45 minutes to and from work 5 days a week, or use your car as an on-call taxi) leads to problems.

And with short trips, its not a problem if you do it every now and again. But when the car is only used as a grocery getter, rarely or never getting the chance to properly warm up, don't expect the oil to last as long.

Or with a truck, if you just drive it to and from work -unladen, its fine. But if that commute involves keeping all the tools of your trade in the bed, possibly towing a generator or other work equipment behind it ... you probably should change your oil more often.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #32
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
I use synthetic in both cars. My Fiesta goes 10k just like the service manual says to before oil changes. The Camaro goes a year between oil changes, again just like the service manual says.... 3,000 miles in these cars is a waste of money.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #33
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Heat is the #1 killer of motor oil, not dirt.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #34

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
... 3,000 miles in these cars is a waste of money.
Lol...What on these cars isn't a waste of money?

I'm sure there is something to this oil technology. But to blindly follow the owner's manual and to try pinching every penny out of motor oil of all things, isn't an area I want to neglect and end up being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Even with a warranty that would "cover" it, thats not how I like to care for my car.

Would you also wait until every square inch of your car is covered in heavy dirt before you wash it? Think of the money you'd save on water if you did!

Tread wear on tires below the wear marks is probably ok. Some drive on tires successfully until the chords show. Think of how much they are saving!

More often than absolutely necessary oil changes is worth the peace of mind being certain that I haven't waited too long or taken it to the edge of causing certain and irreversible engine damage or pre-mature and avoidable engine wear. And, for the few "extra" oil changes involved, its not that expensive, especially considering what the expense would be if I always waited to the bitter end.

Is 3k too often with synthetic? I'm sure it is! If I go past 3K, am I going to fret over it? Absolutely not! Is it a waste of money? Probably, depending on what your priorities are. Is it worth the money for peace of mind? Absolutely!

Hey, whatever you're comfortable with and works for you, have at it!
Just sayin, if you're out to save money, there's a lot more probably spent on various mods and other unnecessary purchases that make a few extra oil changes pale in comparison. Enjoy!

Last edited by 90503; 04-25-2012 at 02:10 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #35
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
My Chevy Work truck uses 4.5 quarts of 5w-30 oil. (not synthetic oil)

I change this every 8000 miles which is when the computer usually says to change it.

Then I reset the oil-change device and reset the trip odometer to see how many miles it takes to tell me to change it again.

If you drive your car like you stole it, then you probably should change the oil every 3000. If you drive it like you are 90 years old, you can go 8000 miles.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #36
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Lol...What on these cars isn't a waste of money?

I'm sure there is something to this oil technology. But to blindly follow the owner's manual and to try pinching every penny out of motor oil of all things, isn't an area I want to neglect and end up being penny-wise and pound-foolish.

Even with a warranty that would "cover" it, thats not how I like to care for my car.

Would you also wait until every square inch of your car is covered in heavy dirt before you wash it? Think of the money you'd save on water if you did!

Tread wear on tires below the wear marks is probably ok. Some drive on tires successfully until the chords show. Think of how much they are saving!

More often than absolutely necessary oil changes is worth the peace of mind being certain that I haven't waited too long or taken it to the edge of causing certain and irreversible engine damage or pre-mature and avoidable engine wear. And, for the few "extra" oil changes involved, its not that expensive, especially considering what the expense would be if I always waited to the bitter end.

Is 3k too often with synthetic? I'm sure it is! If I go past 3K, am I going to fret over it? Absolutely not! Is it a waste of money? Probably, depending on what your priorities are. Is it worth the money for peace of mind? Absolutely!

Hey, whatever you're comfortable with and works for you, have at it!
Just sayin, if you're out to save money, there's a lot more probably spent on various mods and other unnecessary purchases that make a few extra oil changes pale in comparison. Enjoy!
Mind you that I drive 70,000 miles every year in my daily driver. I never seem to have anything out of the ordinary happen with my oil and its hotter than hell out here in the desert. I drive the Camaro enough annually that everything gets warmed up and operating normally. Mind you I've already replaced my tires and brake pads on that little Fiesta, the drive belts should be coming up in another 80,000....
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #37

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMS1SS View Post
Mind you that I drive 70,000 miles every year in my daily driver. I never seem to have anything out of the ordinary happen with my oil and its hotter than hell out here in the desert. I drive the Camaro enough annually that everything gets warmed up and operating normally. Mind you I've already replaced my tires and brake pads on that little Fiesta, the drive belts should be coming up in another 80,000....
Wasn't criticizing you at all, brother!...lol...Glad its all good for you!...

I was just trying to point out that even though I know deep down, I'm probably changing my oil more than necessary, its just something I choose to do rather than just go by "the book". No worries!

In fact, you might be pushing the envelope as far as excessive driving in severe heat!...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #38
Loudog

Drives: 2012
dealer told me 5000 miles yesterday
Old 05-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #39
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
All my vehicles get synthetic.

2008 Hemi truck goes ~8k between changes.

2010 Vette goes ~6k between changes.

2005 Harley goes ~3k between changes (air-cooled...means not very cool when idling or riding slow).
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #40
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The fun part about this is you can change your oil as often as you want to. If you believe having better oil in your engine most of the time, go for it.

All everyone is trying to say is that it isn't 3,000 miles any more. Look at most oil change intervals in the owners manuals of some very high end cars and you'll see 10,000 miles. GM (and maybe others) actually have an algorithm that calculates the interval based on several key and important factors. Even GM's calculation isn't the same for all uses. It will calculate a different interval for around town vs. highway. And even I couldn't let myself go the 12,000 miles that calculation showed on Mrs. Number 3's Malibu and Cruze due to all extended highway miles.

So the only wrong answer here is "I never change my oil" or "I get to it every couple of years or so".
Old 06-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #41
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
The last oil change on my L99 was in November. I've driven the car 1,000 miles since then. The most recent OnStar report states 90% oil life.
I'm concerned about it being 7 months ago though. Should the oil be changed or is it fine?

Note: I realize it's an old thread, but I don't see the point of starting a new thread to ask a similar question.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #42
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I try to do synthetic every 5k miles

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote