Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
02 sensor code

So never had a CEL before, and two weeks ago I got one. It stayed on solid, car didnt seem to run any different. Got a text from onstar saying something about emissions failure? Took the camaro into the dealer, they diagnosed it as right bank 02 sensor wasnt reading anything. Been two weeks, and no further CEL, and the dealer hasnt called back about the part either. Is that normal that this type of issue is just that intermittent?
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Do you remember the code number?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
If you dont get CEL again, i will ignore it. No big deal.
Old 07-07-2021, 06:51 PM   #4
sengli

The dealer did not tell me what the code was. He mentioned that there was no data from one of the 02 sensors.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:04 PM   #5
sengli

Four weeks later, and now the CEL is on again. Dealer didnt call, nor did they order the 02 sensor for the repair. Turns out the service manager I spoke with three weeks ago, quit the next day. Spoke with another guy at the local dealer again, last week, and turns out he quit too!
Old 08-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #6
Sorange

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
Four weeks later, and now the CEL is on again. Dealer didnt call, nor did they order the 02 sensor for the repair. Turns out the service manager I spoke with three weeks ago, quit the next day. Spoke with another guy at the local dealer again, last week, and turns out he quit too!
Sorry about your bad luck! I had an O2 code that would come and go like what you describe. (lean condition driver side) Dealer replaced the sensor and it came back a couple weeks later. Brought it back and they diagnosed a bad exhaust clamp at the end of the Catalytic converter that was leaking and throwing the code. That code hasn't been back since. I am however waiting on a new converter now because I got a catalyst inefficiency code 2 weeks ago.
Sorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:57 AM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
This sounds like one of the post-cat O2 sensors has failed. The post-cat sensors basically monitor converter performance to make sure you are not putting out increased emissions.
A failed pre-cat O2 sensor is far more serious and likely would result in a flashing CEL and limp mode.

Also, I doubt there is anything special about the stock O2 sensors and any GM dealer could get a same-day delivery if needed. Unless there is some kind of O2 sensor shortage related to covid that I haven't heard of... You never know these days.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #8
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
OP: Do you own a screwdriver? a wrench? pliers? You can do yourself a big favor by adding another tool to your toolbox for about $20 by purchasing your own code reader.

OBD2 readers are the single most important and valuable tool a modern car owner can buy.

With one you can read your own codes and not be forever dependent on dealers to do it for you. Once your warranty is up, you'll pay over $100 for the privilege. Doing so will help your fellow forum members assist you when you come here with questions.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #9
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
do yourself a big favor by adding another tool to your toolbox for about $20 by purchasing your own code reader.

OBD2 readers are the single most important and valuable tool a modern car owner can buy.
Yep.
You need the code reader, the internet, and you need a little bit of info about the vehicle (year, model, trim or engine). Put those three together and you will pretty quickly find what THAT SPECIFIC CODE means for YOUR SPECIFIC CAR, and, if it's a common problem, how to fix it.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #10
1LEASYE

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
If it's a P0120 code you got some bad gas that went through the motor and it will intermittently trip the check engine light and or you might have a bad fuel injector.

This happened to me went I went to VIR the weekend after The Colonial Pipeline was attacked and I got fuel a bit early on the drive down there and once I got wide open on the track, all that bad gas made its way through the motor and I kept clearly the code all weekend even though I had zero problems with the car (other than spinning once in turns 1/2) and after leaving the track the light would come on off and on but I went ahead and replaced the O2 sensor anyway and it was fine afterwards also my fuel injectors where fine too but that code does pop when one of them starts going bad.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:25 AM   #11
sengli

Since the car is under warranty, I figured it would be best to let them take care of the issue. Finally got the )2 sensor swapped yesterday. The service manager said he doubted that was the issue?

I will get a scanner now. Any suggestions on a descent one under $100?
Old 08-06-2021, 09:39 AM   #12
ctrlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
Finally got the O2 sensor swapped yesterday. The service manager said he doubted that was the issue...
I'll let others advise you on which "cheap" reader to get. Mine is a bit fancier than most. I'm sure amazon has good ones in the $25 range.

When you are chasing this type of code, replacing the O2 sensor is a good first move. It is a cheap part. Once you swap it out, if you still get the code, the investigation gets more complicated and expensive.