Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
jzana7

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Angry Problems with 2016 Camaro 2SS >41k miles

I’ve been having a ton of issues with my 2016 Camaro 2SS that I purchased used with 17k miles on it in summer of 2019. The car was in pristine condition with a clean car fax and one previous owner. A couple months after I got the car is when I first started having issues, the car would randomly completely drain the battery to the point where it wouldn’t even start after being jumped and had to be towed several times. Local certified Chevy dealership had the car for a week and noted no unusual draw of power so they gave me a new battery and sent me on my way. A week later the car was dead again. Dealership has it for another week and says the ECM was faulty and needed to be replaced and charged me $600 after labor. Several weeks later my check engine light starts flashing, I’m getting tire pressure sensor errors on the dash and every time I open or close the door it says window position lost and prompts me to roll the window down and press ok. Take the car back to the dealership and they give me a rental to drive, they had the car for over THREE WEEKS. They said that they contacted Chevy directly and the only option to troubleshoot further was replace all tire pressure sensors, my window motors and they said I had a faulty ignition switch and that’s what was causing the check engine light. After over $3,000 worth of work and driving a rental for almost a month I get my car back and less than two months later my touch screen is completely and totally unresponsive. Please help.
jzana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Camarokid1996
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2ss/rs TF edition
Guess we can narrow down why the previous owner got rid of the thing. I'd recommend doing the same before it nickel and dimes you to death
Camarokid1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
Heat Magnet

Drives: 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
What a journey of mechanical issues. Unfortunately that's kind of a curse with first-year models of a generation. I think there's been a few topics about the touchscreen issue. I'm not sure if there's a DIY fix for that or you might have to take it back to the dealership again (I know, it sucks after what you've been through).
  2. 2021 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS Coupe
    Black, Redline Edition, 1LE Suspension Package, 10L80 transmission, NPP, Body color high wing spoiler, Ground effects kit, 48-state legal Brembo brakes
Heat Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Dump it. I would've gotten rid of the car a while ago. I've learned many vehicles ago, a troublesome one is usually always troublesome.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #5
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Look for a loose ground. I've seen many posts on this loose/faulty ground causing electrical issues. Can't remember which one or where it is but my guess that, its pretty well documented on the first year of the 6th gen cars. I'm sure a search for "loose or faulty ground wire 2016 camaro" would help. I swear I've read it a few times on this site.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I think there was a TSB on the loose wire if I remember. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:15 PM   #7
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Replacing all that hardware, seems as if it was the symptom, not the root cause of your issues. I would agree with some others here.... it sounds like a flaky ground or damaged wiring somewhere.
As for it just going dead, welcome to the age of newer cars(lots of modules running). My last few weekend warrior type performance cars all suffered from going dead without any real reason. If you left them to set for any length of time. I now keep mine on a battery tender all the time when not in use.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:28 PM   #8
Chef-j

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Sometimes it is good to let performance shop to look over.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #9
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzana7 View Post
I’ve been having a ton of issues with my 2016 Camaro 2SS that I purchased used with 17k miles on it in summer of 2019. The car was in pristine condition with a clean car fax and one previous owner. A couple months after I got the car is when I first started having issues, the car would randomly completely drain the battery to the point where it wouldn’t even start after being jumped and had to be towed several times. Local certified Chevy dealership had the car for a week and noted no unusual draw of power so they gave me a new battery and sent me on my way. A week later the car was dead again. Dealership has it for another week and says the ECM was faulty and needed to be replaced and charged me $600 after labor. Several weeks later my check engine light starts flashing, I’m getting tire pressure sensor errors on the dash and every time I open or close the door it says window position lost and prompts me to roll the window down and press ok. Take the car back to the dealership and they give me a rental to drive, they had the car for over THREE WEEKS. They said that they contacted Chevy directly and the only option to troubleshoot further was replace all tire pressure sensors, my window motors and they said I had a faulty ignition switch and that’s what was causing the check engine light. After over $3,000 worth of work and driving a rental for almost a month I get my car back and less than two months later my touch screen is completely and totally unresponsive. Please help.
That car should have the original 36k bumper to bumper warranty.

Even if you didn't negotiate for an extended warranty. You should not have had to pay for any of that work.

Car has clear electrical issues which IS covered under the original 36k bumper - bumper warranty.

Take it to chevy, explain the situation, and tell them to fix ALL of the electronic issues under warranty.

IF they say no, then you file under lemon law. They fix, or give you a new car.

The only thing you have to show is that the car had electrical issues before your 36k expired and that you brought it in for service.

It won't be a fun fight, but you should get a new car out of the deal.

AND you can get back any cost to you for repairs because it is/was under warranty when the issue occurred.

Last edited by FlukeSS; 07-06-2021 at 06:19 PM.
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #10
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Uhhhhhhh..... You do understand that the factory bumper to bumper warrantee is 3 yrs or 36K miles, which ever occurs first, right? That warrantee expired in 2019, likely around the time that OP purchased the used SS.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #11
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
Sometimes it is good to let performance shop to look over.

This! I wouldn't be taking it to a GM dealer out of warranty. They can't even rotate tires properly.

Go to a good shop.

It would be pretty sad though all these repairs from this current own and the previous one and it turns out it was just a loose wire!
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:22 PM   #12
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
I’m with Jaxcam02 and LT4Greg. I’ve read on this forum a few times about a loose or faulty ground causing electrical gremlins in our cars. Usually one of the first symptoms is slow starting, sounds like that was one of your first issues as well.

Brutal having spent as much as you have, good luck with it.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #13
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
You have as mentioned a grounding problem or a compromised weather pack fitting allowing moisture in. Body control modules can cause some crazy shit if they seek a ground through other pathways, also any moisture in electrical connections will cause all manner of problems. Start with the grounding as the factory grounds to the painted body panels are adequate at best. In the engine compartment you'll find a star ground (many wires to a single ring fitting) on each fender well, closer to the firewall, also in the passenger compartment in both front kick panels and the trunk. Remove the bolts and sand the paint down to bare metal and torque them back down. If that fails start taking harness connections apart looking for moisture, there are two large ones behind the left rear wheel well liner, it could also be a single connector such as the rear camera shorting for example. Good luck.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
If your current issue is just the touch screen, you may have a bad HMI module.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ss, camaro, electrical issues, electrical short, problems