Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Phastek Performance

Old 09-28-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
NJ drivers, NJ drivers, NJ drivers...

Is it just my illusion, or has the overall level of driver proficiency been dropping continuously here in northern NJ? I am a barely average driver by my own standards (trust me, working on it!), yet I can't help but notice how the number of unpredictable drivers has been climbing.

For example, the other day some jackass tried to squeeze me into the railing when merging onto an on-ramp where I had right of way, good thing I'd fully expected them to not even look and was able to stop. Or I could mention the daily experience of people hitting their brakes NEAR THE END OF THE FREAKING ON-RAMP where they're supposed to be at 60-65 mph already, it's insane. I could go on and on with these examples, no-look no-turn-signal lane changes, braking in the slighest of turns, creeping several feet into the right lane before turning etc. The alertness level one has to maintain has clearly increased the past few years... or am I delusional?

Any thoughts?

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:40 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I was just saying this the other day. It seems like a lot of people forgot how to drive over the quarantine. A ton of traffic this past weekend, idk why. Be defensive and on your toes!
Old 09-28-2020, 05:47 PM   #3
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I was just saying this the other day. It seems like a lot of people forgot how to drive over the quarantine. A ton of traffic this past weekend, idk why. Be defensive and on your toes!
Same here! I’m always ragging on NY, CT, and NJ drivers (sorry Arpad!). They will camp in the left lane, not passing anyone. It always clogs up the highway and you get huge lines of traffic behind them. And the lack of turn signals goes without saying. Lol
Old 09-28-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Same here! I’m always ragging on NY, CT, and NJ drivers (sorry Arpad!). They will camp in the left lane, not passing anyone. It always clogs up the highway and you get huge lines of traffic behind them. And the lack of turn signals goes without saying. Lol
Let's be honest, although I detest left lane hoggers with a passion and am happy to move right myself when not passing, the 'keep right' rule on a multilane highway is questionable IMO. Imagine if everyone adhered to it, traffic would basically be restricted to a single file, and how would these scared operators ever safely merge from a ramp into a solid stream of vehicles in the right lane? Or should we have another rule to open up the right lane a quarter or half mile before every merge point?

Any way you slice it, the rule forces a higher number of lane changes, which is definitely a risk factor, the more frequently these inattentive drivers attempt a lane change, the higher the crash probability. It's also slightly unnatural, once you have your lane, intuition suggests to just stay there.

To contribute an actual idea, I would set up an arrangement between driving schools and insurance companies to scale the premium according to different capability levels, and link them to passing actual, tough road tests. Like the minimum requirement back in Hungary where I'm from, I swear at least half the people I see on NJ roads wouldn't pass even the basic "vehicle operation" segment there (test course with cones and hills and various parking setups), let alone the actual road test.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Let's be honest, although I detest left lane hoggers with a passion and am happy to move right myself when not passing, the 'keep right' rule on a multilane highway is questionable IMO. Imagine if everyone adhered to it, traffic would basically be restricted to a single file, and how would these scared operators ever safely merge from a ramp into a solid stream of vehicles in the right lane? Or should we have another rule to open up the right lane a quarter or half mile before every merge point?

Any way you slice it, the rule forces a higher number of lane changes, which is definitely a risk factor, the more frequently these inattentive drivers attempt a lane change, the higher the crash probability. It's also slightly unnatural, once you have your lane, intuition suggests to just stay there.

To contribute an actual idea, I would set up an arrangement between driving schools and insurance companies to scale the premium according to different capability levels, and link them to passing actual, tough road tests. Like the minimum requirement back in Hungary where I'm from, I swear at least half the people I see on NJ roads wouldn't pass even the basic "vehicle operation" segment there (test course with cones and hills and various parking setups), let alone the actual road test.
Great points. I think the lane hogging entices people into passing maneuvers that are questionable at best, and that I think is more of a problem than a typical lane change IMO.

All for the testing of driver’s capabilities! We’d weed out a lot of them in a hurry...
Old 09-28-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post

Most "highways" in the northeast US are poorly designed.
The right lane should be for exit and entrance traffic and merging. "Local" traffic.
The second lane should be for normal traffic.
The left lane should be for overtaking.
There should be no less than three lanes for any road considered limited access highway, interstate, turnpike, or toll road.

Driver ability has fallen rapidly in recent years. In this area it seems NY is the biggest offender. Since 9/11 we have had a big influx of NY tags and horrible road manners, this summer it has gotten exponentially worse with the increased urban flight.

Stopping at green lights during a right hand turn. No lane discipline. No regard for traffic signals. Swinging left to make a right turn and vice versa. Coming out of a two way street making a left turn from the left lane(wrong side of the road). Sitting through green lights....

I could go on, and on.

It seems a drivers license is just issued with no testing anymore.

Worst seems to be MA drivers.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #7
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
I have seen highways that make the left lane appear and disappear to “push” drivers to the right. While dangerous, solves this issue
Old 09-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #8
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Years ago, I went on several week long business trips to Germany. Although some believe that there is a highway called the Autobahn with no speed limit, an Autobahn is their equivalent to our interstates, and there are certain stretches (not near populated areas or on/off ramps) with no speed limits. Driving those highways, I was amazed how much better educated and disciplined the average driver was there. If you didn't follow the 'keep right except to pass' rules without exception, you were subject to some pretty dirty looks from other drivers. I can see why; driving a small Opal with the pedal to the floor would get you to about 110 MPH tops, slower uphill. It didn't take long for a Mercedes or BMW doing 150 to 170 to come up your butt from behind. They EXPECT you to stay right. I never realized how bad drivers are here until I had that experience.

Another thing that drives me nuts are drivers that constantly hit their brakes on the highway with NO ONE IN FRONT OF THEM. Why not just moderate your speed and take your foot off the gas to slow down? These same drivers probably complain that for some reason they always need new brakes.

It does amaze me when I'm stuck in highway congestion without a huge number of cars on the road, and sure enough, there's some idiot in the left lane going 60 or 65, not passing anyone, completely oblivious to the problem they're causing. To me these drivers are just as dangerous as tailgaters and those who weave in and out passing on the right and cutting people off.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #9
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Years ago i too got an opportunity to drive in Europe a couple weeks for vacation. It was my first time driving in good lane discipline. I was amazed at how easy it made driving. The trucks all held to the right two lanes. Changing lanes was effortless. Working your way to the right to make an exit was super easy, simply step on the gas even more. I compare that to here where idiot left lane hogs will drive in formation by an 18 wheeler for miles, forcing you to slow down to work your way right across faster traffic.

I don't think enough people realize good lane discipline isn't just for enabling faster driving, it makes driving EASIER for everyone!!!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Too many cars, traveling too slow ( reduces road capacity, made worse by.. too many cars) = congested roads.

That and most people are doing everything BUT DRIVING.

Today:: RT22 w median of death and wacky U-turns.. Union, NJ.. STRAIGHT section of road.. someone took OUT a telephone pole.. one of the newer green ones.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:49 PM   #11
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17rsvert View Post
Years ago, I went on several week long business trips to Germany. Although some believe that there is a highway called the Autobahn with no speed limit, an Autobahn is their equivalent to our interstates, and there are certain stretches (not near populated areas or on/off ramps) with no speed limits. Driving those highways, I was amazed how much better educated and disciplined the average driver was there. If you didn't follow the 'keep right except to pass' rules without exception, you were subject to some pretty dirty looks from other drivers. I can see why; driving a small Opal with the pedal to the floor would get you to about 110 MPH tops, slower uphill. It didn't take long for a Mercedes or BMW doing 150 to 170 to come up your butt from behind. They EXPECT you to stay right. I never realized how bad drivers are here until I had that experience.

Another thing that drives me nuts are drivers that constantly hit their brakes on the highway with NO ONE IN FRONT OF THEM. Why not just moderate your speed and take your foot off the gas to slow down? These same drivers probably complain that for some reason they always need new brakes.

It does amaze me when I'm stuck in highway congestion without a huge number of cars on the road, and sure enough, there's some idiot in the left lane going 60 or 65, not passing anyone, completely oblivious to the problem they're causing. To me these drivers are just as dangerous as tailgaters and those who weave in and out passing on the right and cutting people off.