Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
novazl1

Drives: 2017 Ford Focus RS
What to expect

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to purchase a ZL1 and want to make sure I am getting the right car for me. I've searched around on the forum but still unclear about some things. Any feedback is appreciated:

1. My current car is a Focus RS. On paper it's a great car with 350hp awd. What I didn't know when purchasing is that full boost doesn't come on until 3rd gear which means you never get the full horsepower unless you are above 60mph. That makes for a really boring experience in normal traffic. Does the ZL 1 have any caveats like that? Is there something you learned it does only under certain conditions which could take away from the daily driving experience?

2. The ZL1 would be my DD. Does anyone make true all season tires for it? I live in VA and we usually get some snow. I don't plan to drive it in a blizzard, but it'd be nice to be able to make it home after work if it snows during the day. I noticed there are the Pirelli Sotozeros for a true snow setup. Anything more versatile? I would prefer to change the tires for the colder months.

3. Any hidden ownership costs? Is there anything specific the ZL1 requires (versus a regular camaro)? The Zl1 is at the top of my budget as is and I want to account for any potentially hidden costs.

4. Finally, for anyone who DD's their car, how is the experience? Is it livable? The suspension and the seats in my Focus RS make it a terrible DD. It's rough and the seats are uncomfortable.

I appreciate any and all comments as I get closer to joining the club

Last edited by novazl1; 07-24-2019 at 10:58 AM.
novazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
I have a 19 ZL 1A10 and can toss my answers to your questions

1.Full power all the time, no waiting for it
2. I DD mine and am in Colorado. The stock tires do not like cold or rain. I plan on going with Nitto 555 G2 here in a month or so.
3. The right oil is a pain for me to find locally so I have to order off of Amazon but nothing as far as hidden costs.
4. No issues with DD and I take my 5 year old back and forth to school every day. This car is COMFY!!
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
The only "hidden" cost, might be rotors

These 2 piece front rotors are way more expensive to replace than the normal 1 piece rotors you have been used to buying

The good news is that unless you are a heavy track person, it will be quite a while before they need replacing...
Old 07-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Power is instantaneous.

Problems that I have found is that you can spin the tires rolling at 70mph. So much fun!!!
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #5
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by novazl1 View Post
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to purchase a ZL1 and want to make sure I am getting the right car for me. I've searched around on the forum but still unclear about some things. Any feedback is appreciated:

1. My current car is a Focus RS. On paper it's a great car with 350hp awd. What I didn't know when purchasing is that full boost doesn't come on until 3rd gear which means you never get the full horsepower unless you are above 60mph. That makes for a really boring experience in normal traffic. Does the ZL 1 have any caveats like that? Is there something you learned it does only under certain conditions which could take away from the daily driving experience?

2. The ZL1 would be my DD. Does anyone make true all season tires for it? I live in VA and we usually get some snow. I don't plan to drive it in a blizzard, but it'd be nice to be able to make it home after work if it snows during the day. I noticed there are the Pirelli Sotozeros for a true snow setup. Anything more versatile? I would prefer to change the tires for the colder months.

3. Any hidden ownership costs? Is there anything specific the ZL1 requires (versus a regular camaro)? The Zl1 is at the top of my budget as is and I want to account for any potentially hidden costs.

4. Finally, for anyone who DD's their car, how is the experience? Is it livable? The suspension and the seats in my Focus RS make it a terrible DD. It's rough and the seats are uncomfortable.

I appreciate any and all comments as I get closer to joining the club
I have owned the ZL1 1LE M6 and currently own the ZL1 1LE A10.
1. Power everywhere.
2. Michelin Pilot Sport 4s seems to be a trendy tire. I use it and it's great for street, a bit soft for track.
3. Gas.
4. I DD a ZL1 1LE which is not as rough as everyone says especially if coming from an RS. I'd bet the regular ZL1 is an amazing DD.

Note: If you're considering the manual transmission. There is a high learning curve to launch the car properly. It takes way more practice than any other high horsepower, high grip car I've owned. I've driven manuals all my life and I could not reach a point where I could consistently launch the car well. Maybe 25% of the time well, 75% of the time fall flat on my face. This IS the reason I switched to the A10. Aside from launching, the M6 is more fun and if you have the patience and skill will likely be the most rewarding.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #6
BobZL1

Drives: 18 Stingray,19 ZL1
I traded a 17 Porsche 718 Cayman S for my 19 ZL1. I have 300 miles so still in break in phase. Even at 1/2 pedal, power is amazing. The ride is so much better. I’ve been using the car as my daily and have no problem what so ever. One of the reasons I traded the Porsche was the rough ride,uncomfortable seats and lack of power (compared to the ZL1, low 12 second car).
BobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Getnlwr

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 '08 SRT10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
I have a 19 ZL 1A10 and can toss my answers to your questions

1.Full power all the time, no waiting for it
2. I DD mine and am in Colorado. The stock tires do not like cold or rain. I plan on going with Nitto 555 G2 here in a month or so.
3. The right oil is a pain for me to find locally so I have to order off of Amazon but nothing as far as hidden costs.
4. No issues with DD and I take my 5 year old back and forth to school every day. This car is COMFY!!

This is pretty accurate except I can get the oil locally. I have had mine in the rain a few times. The OEM tires were... not confidence inspiring in the rain.

You'll like the car. Have fun and learn it before you go hog wild.
Getnlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
NOVAtwinLS3

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I’m in NOVA as well, have 2.5K on ZL1 A10. Weekend driver and nice days, car is very comfortable with power throughout RPM range. Paddle shifting is ok, I leave in auto, shifts much faster than you’re able to. Car is amazing!
NOVAtwinLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobZL1 View Post
I traded a 17 Porsche 718 Cayman S for my 19 ZL1. I have 300 miles so still in break in phase. Even at 1/2 pedal, power is amazing. The ride is so much better. I’ve been using the car as my daily and have no problem what so ever. One of the reasons I traded the Porsche was the rough ride,uncomfortable seats and lack of power (compared to the ZL1, low 12 second car).
The ZL1 is a mid 11's car with stock tires and low 11 to 10 second car with DR's.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I’ve done 11.4 at 122mph bone stock on stock tires with tire pressure at 24psi. I think there was an 11.3 in there with less tire pressure.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #11
novazl1

I want to thank you all the for the replies! It's refreshing seeing these well thought out responses compared to the ones on the Focus RS forums haha. This ZL1 almost sounds too good to be true
Old 07-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
novazl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
The only "hidden" cost, might be rotors

These 2 piece front rotors are way more expensive to replace than the normal 1 piece rotors you have been used to buying

The good news is that unless you are a heavy track person, it will be quite a while before they need replacing...
Yep, this is exactly the kind of stuff I was interested in, thanks!
I won't be tracking (most likely) so I should be ok then.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:32 AM   #13
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Power is instantaneous.

Problems that I have found is that you can spin the tires rolling at 70mph. So much fun!!!
Does not sound like a problem....

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
novazl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAtwinLS3 View Post
I’m in NOVA as well, have 2.5K on ZL1 A10. Weekend driver and nice days, car is very comfortable with power throughout RPM range. Paddle shifting is ok, I leave in auto, shifts much faster than you’re able to. Car is amazing!
Nice! With a proper set of tires, do you think the ZL1 could be daily'ed in our area? With the exception of those snow storms we get once or twice a year, it sounds like it's doable.

Tags
new car zl1