Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-17-2017, 01:32 AM   #29
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Pretty hard to get into a car you've never driven on track before and lay down a number you can't improve upon. When I run my car I focus on the 60'which is done with getting the suspension dialed in and the mph is done by getting the tune right.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:35 AM   #30
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
There are a bunch of 16ss Camaro's including mine that ran in the 11's with either drag radials or slicks. Mine and snowblind ran over 121, mine with just drag pack and Cai, snowblind did a little more weight removal. I think most is driver issues with launching the car. Drag radials will help a bunch. Nice right up and videos
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:10 AM   #31
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Thanks for doing this Cal!
Old 01-17-2017, 06:32 AM   #32
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Nice runs OP for your first time out with your car and with a manual trans. VERY respectable.

Your car definitely has 11's in it once you polish up the launch which will get your 60' times down a lot. That in turn will give you those 11 sec slips.

Play around with the rear tire air pressure a bit and if you do with the DRs make sure to get them warmed up.

And we all appreciate the work it took for you to post everything! That had to take a while!

Thanks again and kudos for having the balls to actually take the car to the track and have fun!
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #33
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Thanks for the videos too! Enjoyed them a lot
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:58 AM   #34
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
This is the specific information I was looking for. Thank you for the critique!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
Good job on taking your ZL1 out there and making a lot of runs. It will get better with practice and working on each area of the run. Especially on factory rubber which is very difficult to do in a heavy blower car making this kind of power.

Lower your tire pressure down to 22-23 lbs. get a a good 2nd gear burn out. Not 1st gear. Lower wheel speed in 1st gear which won't heat the tires. Try slipping the clutch off the line at 2000-2500 rpm on factory rubber. Once the nose comes up, gradually release the clutch while applying gas. This will take practice. If you let of the clutch too soon without enough gas you will either bog or wheel hop.
How many full, 2nd gear burnouts do you think these stock tires have in them? I realize that this has a big impact on traction off the start. I just need to plan and budget for tires if it's going to eat a lot of them. I'm not wealthy but I've some money set aside for racing. I just want to put it where it'll do the most good.

I'll definitely work on the low RPM launch as you describe. The computer-controlled custom launch certainly doesn't seem to be working anyway. That sounds like a really low RPM, though. I knew I'd have to get RPMs up quickly after the launch to get the torque I need to power out of the hole. Based on what I was hearing from the motors of the other cars that were launching well, I was thinking I'd need to feather the clutch some to apply that torque. Thanks for the details on RPM and clutch work.

Quote:
Not sure where the factory rev limiter is on this new ZL1. Guessing it's 6500 rpm. Make sure you are shifting all The way up to 6300 on each shift. Very important. This is where your MPH will come from.
I think it's at 6600 because I've watched my PDR videos and seen it touch 6500 without the rev limiter kicking in. Watching the spectator videos it does seem like I short-shifted a few times. I'll work on that...

Quote:
After you get this all down after 20-30 runs start working on the tree. That's another chapter in a manual.
The time slips show my reaction times were mostly north of .5, although I did have a couple .4's near the end of the day. I never red-lighted but I need to get better at anticipating, or timing the tree.

Quote:
I noticed you made many runs. Make sure you let this car cool down at least 20 min before each run. Your IAT2 temps where probably sky high if you were hot lapping this thing. The compeuter will pull timing once the IAT2 temps reach a certain temp. Up to 50-70 HP loss. I don't care how many heat exchangers are installed.

Have fun with it Man. Good job again
I'll look at the display options but is IAT2 something I can monitor from the cockpit? I haven't really been worried about overheating since this car was specifically engineered to withstand hot laps, at least on the road courses on which it was tested. I can see where this would be more of a problem at the drag strip where you sit in line idling to wait for the next run. That blower is not getting fresh (cool) air when the car's not moving.

Does anyone know what IAT2 temps trigger timing retard on this LT4 engine? The articles I've read say this motor was specifically modified and tuned for the ZL1 so even Corvette LT4's are probably not the same but they might be close.

My goals for this trip were mainly focused on getting used to the car and track, dialing in the Custom Launch settings, and improving my skills, so I wasn't real concerned about the ETs so much as my technique. Of course, when you're lined up against a fast car you tend to act more on instinct. I've got to make sure I've got good habits (technique) first before I can rely on instinct. Getting good at manual launch will be the next big step, I think, providing I remember to lower tire pressure and hit my shift points properly.

When everyone at the track sees this brand new shiny 6th Gen ZL1 they all want to try and show their car is better. I'm sorry I couldn't represent the ZL1 better on this trip. For those few that beat me, they didn't beat the ZL1. They beat the green ZL1 driver. They'll see me again, though. Next time I'll get better... each time I'll get faster...

Who can defeat someone who refuses to give up?! You don't loose until you stop trying.

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:59 AM   #35
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro19 View Post
Nice to see someone take there ZL1 to the track for some actual times. They will get better once you get used to the car. Thanks for the videos!
You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the videos.

--Cal
Old 01-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #36
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Chett here knows his stuff with drag racing. His manual runs are awesome.

Just keep practicing, but take it easy on her, ya don't wanna replace the clutch at 3,000 miles
I can tell he's got the experience from the detailed tips he provided. It's exactly what I was hoping for when I posted.

HaHa! Yup. That friction point is near the top of pedal travel so it'll take some practice to feather it in just right to get max torque off the line without undue wear.

--Cal
Old 01-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #37
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Kudos for getting to the track. The results are not unexpected at all, you will improve with seat time. Your life would be more fun if you invest in a good set of drag radials. Don't worry so much about mph as it will improve once you get your launch and shift points dialed in.
Sticky tires are your friend here more than anything else at this point. With time you will vastly improve your track times.
Have fun and stay safe. Great job!!!!
Thanks man! I was so busy trying to re-setup launch control, turn cameras off and on, and getting the burnout and staging done right that I felt rushed the whole time. I think trying to use the Custom Launch Control is more work that it's worth for the little benefit I'm seeing. Still, I can't get the "Line Lock" feature for burnouts without going through most of the same menus so I just have to do it faster. Problem is that once I get in the line-up I don't usually have the 2 or 3 minutes it takes from engine start to Line Lock ready. So, unless they halt the street car line for the fast guys, I have to leave the engine running. Sure would be nice to have a preset I could save and call back.

Thanks for the encouragement.

--Cal
Old 01-17-2017, 07:27 AM   #38
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17CamaroZL1 View Post
Right. I'm pretty sure he understands that. I had actually been bragging on him in earlier posts. I think he was just asking why everyone seems so focused on the mph more than the ET. I only brought up the 125 because someone was saying his mph sucked and I was taking up for him saying I thought he did good since he almost managed a 122 on his first track day. I feel even stronger about that after finding out he may have had a 10 mph headwind.
Thanks man! I know you're in my corner.

--Cal
Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #39
LSxWittles

Drives: Stuff and Things
Thanks for sharing and sounds like you had fun. As long as you enjoyed it then times have no relevance. As others have said, more seat time will bring better times. Keep at it.

Btw video 7 of 9, that's a hatch WRX (single turbo boxer motor). Dunno if anyone stated or not.
LSxWittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #40
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
This is the specific information I was looking for. Thank you for the critique!

You're welcome. Glad to help out. Very difficult car to get down the strip quickly.

How many full, 2nd gear burnouts do you think these stock tires have in them? I realize that this has a big impact on traction off the start. I just need to plan and budget for tires if it's going to eat a lot of them. I'm not wealthy but I've some money set aside for racing. I just want to put it where it'll do the most good.

Just heat them up until you see tire smoke out of your side view mirrors. Factory rubber will last much longer than drag radials, even with track burnouts.

I'll definitely work on the low RPM launch as you describe. The computer-controlled custom launch certainly doesn't seem to be working anyway. That sounds like a really low RPM, though. I knew I'd have to get RPMs up quickly after the launch to get the torque I need to power out of the hole. Based on what I was hearing from the motors of the other cars that were launching well, I was thinking I'd need to feather the clutch some to apply that torque. Thanks for the details on RPM and clutch work.

I don't think the factory rubber will hold traction past slipping the clutch past 2000-2500 rpm. All depends on how well the track surface is prepared before each run. Street car staging lanes are the worse because water is dragged from the water box.

I think it's at 6600 because I've watched my PDR videos and seen it touch 6500 without the rev limiter kicking in. Watching the spectator videos it does seem like I short-shifted a few times. I'll work on that...

Make sure you find out we're the factory rev limiter is and shift 200 rpms below that point.

The time slips show my reaction times were mostly north of .5, although I did have a couple .4's near the end of the day. I never red-lighted but I need to get better at anticipating, or timing the tree.

Try leaving on the 2nd yellow bulb. By the time you slip the clutch and get that heavy car moving you will be on the green light a lot sooner.

I'll look at the display options but is IAT2 something I can monitor from the cockpit? I haven't really been worried about overheating since this car was specifically engineered to withstand hot laps, at least on the road courses on which it was tested. I can see where this would be more of a problem at the drag strip where you sit in line idling to wait for the next run. That blower is not getting fresh (cool) air when the car's not moving.

You should invest in Aeroforce gauges to monitor key pcm indicators like this. You have a car with a pullied blower right from the factory that does not dissipate heat well at all when the car is standing still. Like return lanes at a dragstip after WOT 1/4 mile runs.

Does anyone know what IAT2 temps trigger timing retard on this LT4 engine? The articles I've read say this motor was specifically modified and tuned for the ZL1 so even Corvette LT4's are probably not the same but they might be close.

My goals for this trip were mainly focused on getting used to the car and track, dialing in the Custom Launch settings, and improving my skills, so I wasn't real concerned about the ETs so much as my technique. Of course, when you're lined up against a fast car you tend to act more on instinct. I've got to make sure I've got good habits (technique) first before I can rely on instinct. Getting good at manual launch will be the next big step, I think, providing I remember to lower tire pressure and hit my shift points properly.

When everyone at the track sees this brand new shiny 6th Gen ZL1 they all want to try and show their car is better. I'm sorry I couldn't represent the ZL1 better on this trip. For those few that beat me, they didn't beat the ZL1. They beat the green ZL1 driver. They'll see me again, though. Next time I'll get better... each time I'll get faster...

Who can defeat someone who refuses to give up?! You don't loose until you stop trying.

--Cal
You are welcome. See my comments inside your thread.
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #41
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
--Cal

OP you are awesome to take your new ZL1 to the track to lay down some numbers. Respect!

As has been said seat time is your friend, especially in a manual. Those auto SS guys crow about thier numbers but they just point and shoot. (Just kidding A8ers)

You will get better with practice. And seconding low 20 pounds of air in the tires. But no lower. And the quick 2nd gear burnout to get the water off the tires and warm the tires slightly. A big burnout will make street tires greasy and go around the water if you can.

And also seconding that low RPM launch with a progressive clutch slip. The goal is a touch of spin and getting into full throttle ASAP. When you get a good launch you will feel it in the pit of your stomach.

Put the tach on your HUD and shift right around 6200-6300. You don't want to run into that 6,500 rev limiter (6,500 on the ZL1?) As for me even with the HUD a LED shift light is a big help. My 5th gen ZL1 had a shift light, not sure about the CA6 ZL1.

One possible problem might be the Goodyears. In my 5th gens I was able to get low 1.9s on the SS Pirellis, but on the 1LE and the ZL1 I rarely got below 2.0. The CA6 SS runflats hook pretty good too. I know the new ZL1 tires are the next gen F1s so they may not be as big of a hinderance.

Also as has been said your ZL1 will need some time between runs. Stacking that supercharger hunk of metal on top of the engine is bound to provoke heat soak. Bye Bye timing.

I think with some practice and good DA I think you can beat that 11.8 number totally stock. And I think with a good set of DRS you might be able to knock 1/2 a second off that. You have a fast car.

I also like how you appreciated the other cars in the lanes. I feel the same way and met so many cool people in the staging lanes drag racing has become a bit of a social event for me. I'm hooked. As for me I do not worry so much about ETs, but rather enjoy the racing. Sometimes I leave early or late depending on the car in the other lane to put on a nice race for the fans. It is especially fun to beat faster cars who can't get traction or sleepers at the light.

Drag on.

Oh and about the stock tires. Many ZL1/1LE owners will be switching to Michelins. Keep your eye on the for sale threads. Almost new F1s can be had for about 1/2 the price of new if you are patient.

Last edited by Fraxum; 01-17-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 AM   #42
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Are there any threads that have best practices for launching our cars, both M6 and A8?
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote