#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-16-2022, 11:23 PM   #99
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
My frame of reference is no A/C... though I like most of your 2nd example.

Where we differ is, I think many people pick the luxury aspect of a vehicle first, to a detriment. Whether or not they'll admit to whatever degree.

The best driver I know drives around town with a dog box and a heavy mechanical clutch. I have to draw the line easily before that. (But I'd love a next-gen stick with a combination starter/generator/dog-synchronizer, with a dogleg 1st gear H pattern shift.) The best driver I tangentially know, drives a very spartan LS swapped early Miata, (and not the easy choice 'Vette ).
Well, I mean pretty much every car nowadays come standard with A/C at this point. It might even cost manufacturers to open up extra production lines and make separate parts for cars without A/C. Kinda like how power windows are common enough to make crank windows meaningless when it comes to cost-cutting.

Realistically, unless you have a serious race car or a weekend fun car, you probably want an A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojas View Post
AC is a heat pump... just one way heat pump. It's just the direction of flow which will determine if you are cooling or heating the cabin. Add special valve to your AC (and control for it) and you have got yourself a "heat pump".

People are so used to combustion waste called heating in ICE that it's sooo weird to "pay" to have heat I know, I know... ICE have it for free, so why switch. If you aren't ready - don't. If I wouldn't be so obsessed with V8s I would switch now - it's good enough already, especially with current gas prices, where you need to do two transactions to fill all the way up
Yep, it just depends on which side you want and which side is waste for a particular situation. You want the cold side on an A/C and the hot side is waste, while the hot side is what you want with heat pump and you dump the cold side.

I think I have read somewhere that a combined heat pump/AC system is less efficient than a dedicated A/C or heat pump. Not sure if that's true.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #100
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
"...a weekend fun car". This is part of the issue. Today's batteries mean EV's are big-boned. The 5th gen's natural weakness there hurt the Z/28, with gen 6 incoming.

Within the last year, a Ford engineer, Widmann, was saying that no one's done a great performance EV yet. I'm not sure if anyone gets there, and really if an extreme diet is enough. Maybe they'll end up doing a roadster. An open top will feel faster than it is (fun over performance).

I realize people want AC. It's just that these new transportation things seem boring.
genxer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #101
txabertheory

Drives: camaro
I want to try an electric car, but I would not like to get it as my first car option. They are too expensive and not that practical.
I would not buy a car if I didn’t need it, so I need a car that would help me with my work and I have to drive a lot. I would also like to use my car to take my family on vacations sometimes. And an electric car is quite problematic for such purposes. I don’t know about you, but I would like a more reliable car. According to https://zumroad.com/automotive, the car that would fit me the most is Volkswagen Multivan, and I like it because it’s rather big.

Last edited by txabertheory; 08-16-2022 at 05:00 PM.
txabertheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #102
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
The sale of new combustion engine cars will be banned in 2035 in EU.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:31 PM   #103
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Just stringing a few thoughts together.

GM has a Silverado. Then introduces a Silverado EV.
GM has a Blazer. Then introduces a Blazer EV.
GM has an Equinox. Then introduces an Equinox EV.
GM has a Sierra. Then introduces a Sierra EV.
GM has a Corvette. GM has vaguely confirmed a Corvette EV.

So, if GM introduces a sporty 2-dr coupe EV, it might be called…

And, GO!
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:00 PM   #104
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

And, GO!
CorEVtte

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:54 PM   #105
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

And, GO!
I hope the Camaro nameplate lives on in its current configuration (2 door coupe, long hood, short deck, good dash to axle ratio). I can only hope it has a V8 alongside the EV coupe. Hopefully they don't pull a Ford and introduce a crossover EV as a Camaro.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:14 PM   #106
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
EV works as good city cars, but doesn't F150 Lightning have useless range if you attempt to tow anything somewhat heavy with it? You know, the one thing pickup trucks are supposed to do well? I doubt GM will fare much better here.

Now I understand that yeah, some people buy pickups and never tow, but my point is that some vehicles might not work that great with electrical powertrains. For sports cars where some people swear by ICE(I am such one)... Let's just say I am curious how well the EV Chargers and Challengers will do. I know Mercedes stated that they will stick with V8 for as long as possible.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:13 AM   #107
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I hope the Camaro nameplate lives on in its current configuration (2 door coupe, long hood, short deck, good dash to axle ratio). I can only hope it has a V8 alongside the EV coupe. Hopefully they don't pull a Ford and introduce a crossover EV as a Camaro.
No chance. Maybe we get a few extra years extended for the 6th gen. That's it. 2024 is being reported as last MY, 2026 is a possibility as an extension. A V8 sports car is the antithesis of what GM has become, especially given the decline of the segment, so they can't even look the other way for a while because it's printing money like full size trucks/SUVs.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:51 AM   #108
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
I think GM has already shown their hand here. Blazer EV SS is the closest we’ll ever come to a “Camaro EV CUV”. Remember, Ford’s reason for doing that has less to do with converting the Mustang to EV and more to do with making Mustang a sub-brand with multiple configurations (Coupe, sedan, CUV).

Since GM / Chevrolet has already named Blazer EV and Equinox EV after their ICE counterparts there is no need to force the Camaro name onto a CUV.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 11-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #109

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:

And, GO!
All the above EVs have high volume selling, high-demand ICE vehicles of the same name. That would not be the case for any Camaro type EV. Blazer has gone performance with the SS and likely will be upgraded each year making a sporty Camaro moot.

No EV type Camaro has been "revealed" and even if it were it would be two years or so before being reasonably available. I think an ICE Camaro will be around for possibly two more years, then just fade away with no comparable EV alongside. The sales numbers just aren't there. My $.02.

P.S. If GM and Camaro could continue for many years ahead to build only ICE ZL1s and ZL1 1LEs, that would fill the sporty two door coupe performance market, as small as it may be. Just a thought.

Last edited by 90503; 11-08-2022 at 08:42 AM.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:01 AM   #110
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

P.S. If GM and Camaro could continue for many years ahead to build only ICE ZL1s and ZL1 1LEs, that would fill the sporty two door coupe performance market, as small as it may be. Just a thought.
The only way that could be remotely possible is if they continue to build other cars using the same platform. I think as long as they are building CT4 / CT5 the Camaro might live. After that, it's either Camaro EV, or nothing.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:24 AM   #111

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The only way that could be remotely possible is if they continue to build other cars using the same platform. I think as long as they are building CT4 / CT5 the Camaro might live. After that, it's either Camaro EV, or nothing.
True, but I don't see any new sporty EV coupe built from scratch that would be a big seller, either. The tooling, platform, etc., for Camaros exists now and shouldn't be thrown away. Better to keep an existing platform for a small ICE Camaro market, than have nothing. This "platform" argument is a phantom non-issue when it comes to the car-buying public. Just ask Dodge about the Challenger.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:19 AM   #112
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
All the above EVs have high volume selling, high-demand ICE vehicles of the same name. That would not be the case for any Camaro type EV. Blazer has gone performance with the SS and likely will be upgraded each year making a sporty Camaro moot.

No EV type Camaro has been "revealed" and even if it were it would be two years or so before being reasonably available. I think an ICE Camaro will be around for possibly two more years, then just fade away with no comparable EV alongside. The sales numbers just aren't there. My $.02.

Yeah, all the EVs I listed have high volume ICE versions in the market. So the naming is no doubt to allow for continued selling of the ICE version but also taking advantage of the name recognition for the EV version.

I still think that if/when GM introduces an EV sporty coupe it will carry the Camaro name. Even if the sales aren’t there right now, the name has positive equity and that is hard (and expensive) to establish. That’s why I think if there is a sporty EV Coupe, it will be named Camaro EV. Or maybe just Camaro, since it won’t be offered concurrently with the ICE version. The ICE Camaro goes away when CT4/CT5 go away. Since Cadillac will be all EV by 2030, and Escalade will no doubt be the last ICE model, they go away sooner than later.

GM has and continues to show a silhouette of a sporty coupe that is not a Corvette. I think this leaves the doors open to the silhouette being a Camaro EV. Might be a reach, but I think there is smoke there.