Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 05-29-2022, 05:07 PM   #85
ChevyTech77

Drives: Not yet….
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
UPDATED 5/6/22

I post this up with the hope it will help somebody that wants to do some road racing and maybe needs a little help with their set up or whatever. This is my DAILY DRIVER and is also a TRACK CAR. It started out as a 2019 SS2

While these parts choices are my own based of course on my personal opinion and experience, I KNOW this works and along the way I KNOW what doesnt work. These parts are WAY too expensive to be guessing especially for some of the guys on a budget. Best MOD and it doesnt cost anything other than track rental is of course if the DRIVER.

Modification List 2019 SS2

Suspension/Chassis/Brakes

SG3 Suspension (84203549 from www.sdparts.com – cost 1333.51)
BMR adjustable Sway Bars front and rear (SB052 for BOTH bars, Cost 429.95))
BMR Billet Steel Bearing Holders for FRONT Sway bar (SBB010 is a SPECIAL Order part from BMR NOT in catalog, cost is around 300.00))
BMR Adjustible Sway Bar End Link Kit (ELK015 for both front and rear cost: 349.95)
SPLPARTS rear toe links with Eccentric Lockout (SPL RTAEL CAM6 cost 429.00)
SPLPARTS Bumpsteer Adjustible Tie Rod Ends (SPL TRE CAM6 cost 299)
VORSHLAG Camber Plates (cost around 695)
ZL1 1LE brakes front and rear (BREMBO pads for Daily Driving) (DTC-70, DTC-60 pads for track)
GOODRIDGE Stainless Steel Brake Lines (cost 196.00)
GIRODISC Titanium Brake Shields (FRONT D1382 at cost 100.00)
Hi temp brake fluid (WILWOOD EXP 600 PLUS 16.9 oz – 2 bottles at 36.00 each btl)

Tires/Wheels

APEX SM-10 19 x 10.5 ET25 wheels (4) with MS 4S 305/30/19 tires (daily driving)
APEX EC-7 18 x 11 ET22 wheels (4) with Pirelli Slicks 305 660 18 (track set up)
200TW set up is Azenis RT660 315-30-18 tires (SQUARE) with 8MM spacers on the front

ZL1 Parts 5MM front wheel spacers (use with track wheel set up with SLICKS)

Engine mods

KOOKS 2inch Headers with OFF ROAD pipe
MAGNAFLOW Mufflers
GM Black Exhaust TIPS
FLEX FUEL sensor
ROTOFAB Air Intake
AMP 160 degree thermostat with housing
LT2 Manifold
LT5 Throttle Body
AMP spec’ed Heads with .660 springs
AMP Custom Spec Cam

UPDATE ON ENGINE 5-27-22

The car is NOW be powered by a FULLY forged LME 416 with AMP ported Heads and GWATNEY PERFOMANCE CAM (will post video of DYNO when this is completed) Also has MSD manifold with NW 103MM Throttle Body

Exterior Mods

ZL1 1LE style REAR wing
ZL1 1LE style front bumper extension (EOS)
EOS Carbon Fiber Side Skirts ZL1 style
ZL1 Parts Tow Hook Straps (2 front, 2 rear)
ZL1 Parts Lift PADS
Carbonaddons Rearview Mirror Cover (black carbon fiber)
Carbonaddons Door Handle Covers (black carbon fiber)
DIODE DYNAMICS LED smoked running lights

Interior Mods

Carbonaddons Door Spear on inside door panels
Carbonaddons Window Switch Cover
Carbonaddons Door Handle Cover
Carbonaddons Top of Dash Piece on top of instrument cluster
Carbonaddons Left and Right Steering Wheel Switch pieces
Carbonaddons Center Horn Button Switch
Carbonaddons bottom of steering wheel Center Piece
Carbonaddons Console Cover around Shifter
Carbonaddons AC Vent piece around CENTER AC vents
Carbonaddons Four piece lower dash pieces
Carbonaddons Cup Holder Piece
Carbonaddons Ignition Switch Cover
Carbonaddons Dash Piece AROUND the ignition switch cover
Carbonaddons Piece around entertainment center console
Lloyds Floor Mats *ULTIMAT with SS LOGOS
Weathertech Truck MAT
Blacked OUT Front and Rear Chevy Emblems
DEBADGING of all other GM emblems
GM Front and Rear color coded mud flaps
SPEEDFORM Racing Seats (using stock seatbelt setup for now)

Preferred Vendors List (alphabetical order)

ADVANCED MODERN PERFORMANCE (www.advancedmodernperforance.com)
APEX driving Academy (www.APEXHPDE.com)
APEXRACEPARTS (www.apexraceparts.com)
Bimmerworld (www.bimmerworld.com)
BMR (www.bmrsuspension.com)
CARBONADDONS (www.carbonaddons.com)
DIODE DYNAMICS (www.diodedynamics.com)
DOGHOUSE PERFORMANCE (www.DHPMSR.com)
GIRODISC (www.girodisc.com)
GM (www.gmpartsdirect.com)
Lloyd Mats (https://www.lloydmatsstore.com)
MUFFLER KING Garland 214-328-4669
SCOGGIN DICKEY (www.sdparts.com)
SPLPARTS (www.splparts.com)
Vorshlag Motorsports (Vorshlag web store (vorshlag-store.com)
Wildhammer Motorsports (www.wildhammermotorsports.com)
ZL1 ADD ONS (www.zl1addons.com)

What I would do DIFFERENTLY

You CAN NOT get enough track time in if you goal is to get better at road racing. Currently I am doing 2-3 track days a month. All along the way my instructors emphasized the importance of this but I never really bought into it. Then I took their advice and noticed an ever so gradual improvement in my driving ability. The BEST modification is the DRIVER.

The SPLPARTS front bumpsteer parts I have decided were NOT really necessary because I didn’t really have that much bumpsteer with stock setup anyway.

The preferred FRONT sway bar would have been HOTCHKIS but they were having supply issues. The BMR did work out OK but it requires the use of a special order part for some BILLET BEARING holders because the stock ones that come with the bar standard are POS and make the bearing split under very high load forces.

I tried to use as many SPLPARTS as I could but they as well were having supply issues hence the use of the still VERY GOOD BMR parts.

After screwing up the front EOS carbon fiber lip spoiler THREE times road racing I decided to paint it SATIN black so that I could easily paint it when it got scuffed or scratched. So the use of carbon fiber parts like the front lip spoiler and side skirts while are visually very attractive I would NOT do on a track car. I do have carbon fiber outside mirrors and door handles and they hold up fine since there are not near the road surface.

I was running the stock REAR spoiler for some time and reluctantly replaced it with the ZL1 1LE wing. I should have done that MOD sooner as it DOES help.

I have a SECOND set of wheels and tires specifically for the track (APEX EC7 18 x 11 with Pirelli Slicks 205 660 18). I probably SHOULD have done that SOONER than I did.

Planned MODS to go EVEN QUICKER

Heads and Cam Install should make power level 575-600 RWHP (still naturally aspirated)
APEX VS-5RS Forged Wheels (4 pounds lighter)
GIRODISC Front Rotors (4 pounds lighter)
Change to MICHELIN Slicks (soft compound)

I will update this as I go along. I have no doubt I have forgotten something (LOL)

PLEASE NOTE that I am actually running NOW -3.5 degrees camber on FRONT. I use the settings on for BOTH track and daily driving.
Very solid/awesome looking set up. I have plenty of AutoX setup experience with 6th gens and your setup looks a lot like what we run.
ChevyTech77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:51 PM   #86
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTech77 View Post
Very solid/awesome looking set up. I have plenty of AutoX setup experience with 6th gens and your setup looks a lot like what we run.
I appreciate your feedback. I know around HERE I had Adam Poland who is a mutli year national SCCA champion set this car up for me of DOGHOUSE Performance at Motorsports Ranch, Cresson TX. As you know ANYONE can buy the components money permitting but knowing how to get the MOST out the of combination is the key. He was very useful also in letting me know what REALLY didnt make that much difference when it came to certain modifications.

I felt like I had a pretty good handle on who offered the best parts for these cars but the REAL key is to find someone who has been successful putting all those components together to be extremely capable in the VENUE of racing you are participating in.

It sounds like you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. LOL
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:59 PM   #87
sr71bb

UPDATES CAM at IDLE and ENGINE PIC

OK guys,

I was asked in another thread what the car sounded like at IDLE so I took a quick video of it I had a friend post it up on HIS facebook since I a NOT on FACEBOOK myself. This is with the NFC CAM from GWATNEY in the new LME 416 engine

Here is link:

https://www.facebook.com/10000668314...6837362414212/

The PIC below is what the engine compartment looks like currently (I posted this up earlier in thread as well).
Attached Images

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 05-31-2022, 10:31 AM   #88
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
$$$$$$$$
Old 06-10-2022, 10:12 AM   #89
sr71bb

FEEDBACK on Track Seats

After two track days with the new race seats, I can say that for the money, this MAY have been the best mod I have made. I originally ordered these seats after reading some reviews that these particular seats were of decent quality PARTCULARLY for the money.

I wanted as stated before a seat that had an adjustable back and was on sliders since I DO NOT currently have a roll bar in the car. This also necessitated that the seat be able to use the standard stock lap belts arrangement and THEN later on be able to accomodate a 5 point harness set up.

Here is a link to the seats:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VDTYKVM...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They cost roughly 400.00 for the PAIR. Initially I dismissed them thinking that they is NO WAY these seats can be any good at this price point but I finally said WTH, I will try them out and they worked out MUCH better than I expected. Be sure and use GRADE 8 hardware to attach the seats to the seat brackets.

You have to buy seat brackets with these as I posted earlier and I got planted technology brackets. https://www.plantedtechnology.com/

Look at POST# 82 above for more info and just above that in Post #80 for PICS.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 06-11-2022, 06:11 PM   #90
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
Quote:
After two track days with the new race seats, I can say that for the money, this MAY have been the best mod I have made. I originally ordered these seats after reading some reviews that these particular seats were of decent quality PARTCULARLY for the money.

I wanted as stated before a seat that had an adjustable back and was on sliders since I DO NOT currently have a roll bar in the car. This also necessitated that the seat be able to use the standard stock lap belts arrangement and THEN later on be able to accomodate a 5 point harness set up.

Here is a link to the seats:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VDTYKVM...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

They cost roughly 400.00 for the PAIR. Initially I dismissed them thinking that they is NO WAY these seats can be any good at this price point but I finally said WTH, I will try them out and they worked out MUCH better than I expected. Be sure and use GRADE 8 hardware to attach the seats to the seat brackets.

You have to buy seat brackets with these as I posted earlier and I got planted technology brackets. https://www.plantedtechnology.com/

Look at POST# 82 above for more info and just above that in Post #80 for PICS.
Do you feel safe with those seats? If I were replacing the stock seats, I think I'd feel more comfortable with an FIA seat.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:32 PM   #91
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
Do you feel safe with those seats? If I were replacing the stock seats, I think I'd feel more comfortable with an FIA seat.
Yeah, I do feel safe with these seats. The PLANTED TECHOLOGY seat brackets are made of MILD STEEL and the seats are attached to the brackets with GRADE 8 bolts and NYLOK nuts. I would think they are at least as strong as the stock seats were.

Now I have NO DOUBT that a FIXED back racing seat is stronger in the back area but that is NOT desirable if you DONT have a roll bar because they wont collapse DOWN in a rollover should the roof cave in.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 06-12-2022, 07:58 PM   #92
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Is there a hole in the seat bottom for the 5th point of a 5pt harness?
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:17 PM   #93
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by olblue75 View Post
Is there a hole in the seat bottom for the 5th point of a 5pt harness?

Well thats a great point and NO there is no hole so I guess when I switch over to either a five point or a six point harness with chromoly roll bar then I will be changing out the seats at that time also. I never intended to use these seats with a roll bar setup anyway but your point is well taken.

For those that may be wondering, if the seat DOES NOT have an access hole for the crotch belt THRU the seat then you really cant mount it properly because if you mount the submarine belt to the floor directly in FRONT of the seat, then THAT would be the wrong angle to properly secure you in the seat . The rules specific to EXACTLY where you can MOUNT these belts usually is within a fairly narrow range. If you are running with a sanctioning group, verify with them the rules they have specific to harness belts.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 06-21-2022, 11:53 AM   #94
Corbs09

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZLE
Interesting you went with those seats after all of the money you put into the car. I am curious to see how they hold up. I came from Drifting and in accidents most people running cheap seats regret it, they have a tendency to "lay down" if you have a strong impact.

Regardless, I do think a nice bucket will be on my upgrade list. I move around a lot in the stock seats.
Corbs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 02:21 PM   #95
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbs09 View Post
Interesting you went with those seats after all of the money you put into the car. I am curious to see how they hold up. I came from Drifting and in accidents most people running cheap seats regret it, they have a tendency to "lay down" if you have a strong impact.

Regardless, I do think a nice bucket will be on my upgrade list. I move around a lot in the stock seats.
Well I didnt look at these seats as being a PERMANENT solution because that will come when the chromoly roll bar is installed. In the meantime though I needed something that would keep my ass more planted in the seat utilizing the STOCK seatbelts and these certainly do that.

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 06-21-2022, 03:06 PM   #96
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Can you post a picture of your seats in the car? Thanks!
Old 06-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #97
sr71bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Can you post a picture of your seats in the car? Thanks!
LOOK AT POST 80 above in this thread

MEGA Thread on THIS car:

Retired Cars BELOW:
Old 06-21-2022, 03:59 PM   #98
Corbs09

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZLE
Quote:
Well I didnt look at these seats as being a PERMANENT solution because that will come when the chromoly roll bar is installed. In the meantime though I needed something that would keep my ass more planted in the seat utilizing the STOCK seatbelts and these certainly do that.
Makes complete sense, and I figured next steps for you was caging the car or a roll bar. At that point it would likely make sense for fixed buckets or something of that nature.

I actually reached out to Studio RSR the other day and they already have a really nice offering for Camaro folks.

I have been following your build ever since I got my car and saw yours at an ECR event, you have one of my favorite track Camaro's I've seen!
Corbs09 is offline   Reply With Quote