Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

AWE Tuning

Old 08-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #57
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
That's one thing I want to talk to my dealer about is not having them wash or detail it. Just a water rinse. They might think I'm an a-hole, but whatever I guess. They are out-of-area and I wouldn't need to deal with them after the sale anyways.
I doubt they’ll think you’re a dick for asking them to do less on the car. I already told my sales guy to do their PDI but not to touch the interior or exterior because I’m driving the car straight to my ceramic coat guy … he said yes sir. I’ve watched a few of those “detail” guys clean a car up and let’s just say that I’ll never allow it again.
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:20 PM   #58
Banshee2SS

Drives: ‘23 2ss 1LE
When did your car first get shipped out ?
TPW- 8/1/22
Built 3800- 8/5/22
ETA- 9/27/22
Arrived 9/24/22 !!
Banshee2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #59
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I most always ask for limited PDI no wash, rinse, wipe down, just inspect it for being driveable in that way but otherwise leave it alone.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:52 PM   #60
Dave88LX

Drives: 2022 2SS 1LE 6 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden45 View Post
I've had a car shipped, no wash requested, sight unseen. I took care of the initial wash myself, and brought it to the detailer for paint correction and PPF. A couple years later, I did have issues with PPF. Since the shop I chose is one of the most well known and established around here, they took care of the issue no problem.

As good as they were, they still had to take care of little air bubbles here and there. You'll want to do this process local and avoid future headaches.

Right now my Camaro only has miles from the dealership to my house. Parked in my garage until Monday for my PPF appointment. Then its back to my place for full paint decon, paint correction and graphene coating.

Avoiding unnecessary drives until the front end is protected. Right now it's perfect aside from some surface scuffs that will be removed when the PPF installer does their paint correction before PPF.

If you can swing it, I'd line up an appointment at your local reputable detail/PPF shop and transport your car directly to them.
Great info. I realize this is could basically spin-off its own thread with this chat, but great nonetheless.

I wonder, how much paint correction is required on a new car? When I bought my new truck, I took it home 2 miles, then parked it until my PPF appointment a few miles down the road.

I do prefer the local install of PPF as well in case there are issues. I believe the big guys like 3M and Xpel etc. should be covered nation-wide, but local would still be better.

I really like the idea of just having it delivered straight to the detailer/PPF.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #61
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Great info. I realize this is could basically spin-off its own thread with this chat, but great nonetheless.

I wonder, how much paint correction is required on a new car? When I bought my new truck, I took it home 2 miles, then parked it until my PPF appointment a few miles down the road.

I do prefer the local install of PPF as well in case there are issues. I believe the big guys like 3M and Xpel etc. should be covered nation-wide, but local would still be better.

I really like the idea of just having it delivered straight to the detailer/PPF.
These cars don't ride in enclosed containers, they don't even get a "travel wrap" unlike Corvettes, so the paint will have road grime, rail dust and minor scuffs at a minimum, assuming the factory did a perfect paint job (which they never do at this price point).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:39 PM   #62
Camden45

Drives: Chevrolet Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
These cars don't ride in enclosed containers, they don't even get a "travel wrap" unlike Corvettes, so the paint will have road grime, rail dust and minor scuffs at a minimum, assuming the factory did a perfect paint job (which they never do at this price point).
Very surprising to hear from my sales guy and see the car coming with absolutely no plastic coverings on the exterior. My white car was basically purple from the iron remover reacting to the rail dust/iron particle contamination. I just did the iron remover since the PPF shop will clay, polish and PPF the front end afterwards. It's a shame almost no PPF shop does iron recon before PPF.

Once it gets back to me, that's when I'll actually clay the rest of my car, double check with iron remover again to make sure everything is 100% clean before the polish and graphene coat everything include the newly installed PPF.
Camden45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:41 PM   #63
Dave88LX

I talked to him today. He said he has a good guy in the detail bay, I just told him I'm sure he's good but I'm just traumatized by past experiences and nothing personal. So he said they won't do anything to it.

HOWEVER, what was supposed to be an 8/25 arrival date 700 miles away just magically showed up today. I need to decide now on shipping it or picking it up.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:17 PM   #64
Camden45

Quote:
I talked to him today. He said he has a good guy in the detail bay, I just told him I'm sure he's good but I'm just traumatized by past experiences and nothing personal. So he said they won't do anything to it.

HOWEVER, what was supposed to be an 8/25 arrival date 700 miles away just magically showed up today. I need to decide now on shipping it or picking it up.
I think the worst part with all these inaccurate ETAs is you cannot plan a single thing. Basically you have to hit the ground running, no heads up.

Ship it if you can. If you plan on driving, at the very least I'd painters tape the entire front end. If you don't want to do that, plan to drive very slowly and stay behind at least 4-5 seconds from the car ahead of you, and avoid staying side by side with other cars, especially semi's and work trucks.

They do have temporary clear bras from $50-100 a roll. But it's kind of recommended to give it a coat of spray wax before it's put on to help prevent residue left on after removal. But that also entails washing the car before hand....
Old 08-10-2022, 11:37 PM   #65
Dave88LX

Yeah I'm going to sleep on it tonight on what my options are. I have a few shipping quotes in the $600-800 range. Not sure who is good or not. I could also fly out for $200 and have it this weekend... And yeah going with the blue tape on it LOL. Very undecided at this point.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:44 PM   #66
Camden45

Quote:
Yeah I'm going to sleep on it tonight on what my options are. I have a few shipping quotes in the $600-800 range. Not sure who is good or not. I could also fly out for $200 and have it this weekend... And yeah going with the blue tape on it LOL. Very undecided at this point.
If that's the case, I'd fly down and just stay far behind and away from everyone on the road, so if they kick up rocks and it hits your paint, it won't be at full force and hopefully your paint won't chip. Straight to the detail shop, drop off and catch a ride home(if there's an opening in the detail shops schedule)