Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-26-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Will getting all season tires only in the front help in the rain?

I've seen this pop up a few times but haven't seen a definitive answer. I have R888R coming in to replace my back tires. I'm also now replacing the front and before ordering them I recalled a few threads here about people running a setup of PS4S in the front and R888R in the back. A friend who works on cars also said he's seen some cars come into the shop with this setup.

The only reason I can assume someone would do this is for traction in the rain or because they would last longer overall. Both of these sounds like good ideas since I don't expect more than 5-6k miles out of the front Toyos, and it would be nice to be able to drive above 30mph in the rain.

Anyone try this?(PS4S or an all season tire) Good idea or not? For the record the car is daily driven and sees a lot of trips to the "track" at night. The guy at the discount tire said the higher traction in the front may make the car unstable when driven in the rain. If the end result is only marginally better performance in the rain and instability above 40 mph like the stock tires then I'll just get toyos in the front too.

Also if anyone could tell me where to find the cheapest R888R in 315/30/20 so I can get it price matched that'd be dope.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:06 PM   #2
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Not good to have 2, very, different tire types. Having PS4s up front and R888Rs out back will be very dangerous. Especially in adverse conditions.

The stock Goodyear's and those R888Rs are not suitable for driving in the rain.

All I'll say is get 4 of the same tires, PS4s, and drive in the rain very comfortably.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Not good to have 2, very, different tire types. Having PS4s up front and R888Rs out back will be very dangerous. Especially in adverse conditions.

The stock Goodyear's and those R888Rs are not suitable for driving in the rain.

All I'll say is get 4 of the same tires, PS4s, and drive in the rain very comfortably.
Well I don't plan on driving in the rain often. It's more of "got caught in a quick shower on the freeway 25 min from home." I do have another car I drive in the rain. Are the PS4S really that different? They're also a Summer tire.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
Well I don't plan on driving in the rain often. It's more of "got caught in a quick shower on the freeway 25 min from home." I do have another car I drive in the rain. Are the PS4S really that different? They're also a Summer tire.
I had both, and actually at one point I even had them in the same configuration you want (PS4S fronts, R888R rears), then I switched to PS4S all around.

The discount tire guy was right IMO, the problem is that the PS4S has inifinitely better grip in the rain than those drag radials that have very few and shallow water evacuation channels, so your ass will be sliding left and right all the time. Whether that is a problem or you're willing to risk it home from a downpour, doing 35-40 in the right lane with your hazards on, is up to you, I'm not saying it can't be done, but could be risky.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
Swift016

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
The Goodyear 3Rs are unsafe in any rain, no matter how brief.....I changed to PS4s, and they are a great answer..:,!not too bad on track, but worlds safer for a daily driver in any amount of rain... ymmv

3r’s are like being on ice with any amount of water... hydroplanes around 40mph, even with NO standing water...
Swift016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The discount tire guy was right IMO, the problem is that the PS4S has inifinitely better grip in the rain than those drag radials that have very few and shallow water evacuation channels, so your ass will be sliding left and right all the time. Whether that is a problem or you're willing to risk it home from a downpour, doing 35-40 in the right lane with your hazards on, is up to you, I'm not saying it can't be done, but could be risky.
Think I'll just go with the Toyos then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift016 View Post
The Goodyear 3Rs are unsafe in any rain, no matter how brief.....I changed to PS4s, and they are a great answer..:,!not too bad on track, but worlds safer for a daily driver in any amount of rain... ymmv

3r’s are like being on ice with any amount of water... hydroplanes around 40mph, even with NO standing water...
Well I have the normal ZL1 so the non R version goodyears. They are driveable in the rain but very spooky once their is any standing water. Enough so that I get very anxious driving the car above 40 in the rain...it's so jittery even in snow mode with no throttle. I'll be going with the Toyos and driving my other car in the rain. It's pretty dry here in Houston outside of hurricane season. Driving my other car in the rain will at least help me stop putting miles on my Z and keeping it clean!

Thanks for the help all.
Old 10-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
Intimidator

Drives: 69 GTO, 05 GTO, 2018 Silver ZL1
You'll be fine...I'm running PS4's in front and Sport Cup 2's in the rear...all Spring and Summer.
Mine is a DD...just put the Sottozero 3's on for Fall/Winter.
Intimidator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
You'll be fine...I'm running PS4's in front and Sport Cup 2's in the rear...all Spring and Summer.
Mine is a DD...just put the Sottozero 3's on for Fall/Winter.

why tho? lol i have never gotten why people mix and match
Old 10-26-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
I personally don't have any issues with the GY 3Rs in rain. I do feel the need to be really cautious knowing that I do have those tires on the car but I've never felt like I'm going to lose control. But everyone's environment is different so if your streets don't drain quickly it'll be an issue.
For the mix matching of tires, I along with most on this board will recommend against it and get the same tire for all four corners. The last thing you want in the rain is running 2 different tires that don't react the same to the conditions you are experiencing.
I plan on running my GYs until they are shot and going with a good all season, probably the PS4s.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I personally don't have any issues with the GY 3Rs in rain. I do feel the need to be really cautious knowing that I do have those tires on the car but I've never felt like I'm going to lose control. But everyone's environment is different so if your streets don't drain quickly it'll be an issue.
For the mix matching of tires, I along with most on this board will recommend against it and get the same tire for all four corners. The last thing you want in the rain is running 2 different tires that don't react the same to the conditions you are experiencing.
I plan on running my GYs until they are shot and going with a good all season, probably the PS4s.

Standing water is very dangerous with the GY's, I have fairly new ones on my ZL1, not a 1LE, and any standing water is very bad. Hydroplane all over and will pull you back and forth. I don't drive in the rain but got caught in it twice. A little rain isn't bad, a downpour with standing water on a highway is scary.

I just ordered a set of P4S 285/30/20 and 315/30/20 as im waiting for new rims to be delivered. Will keep the stock rims/tires in case i ever bring to track.
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote