Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-24-2020, 02:23 AM   #29
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_camaro_2ss View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers make that move on their own within the next 15-20 years, or at least take big steps towards a zero emission goal by then.
It started a few years ago.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:14 AM   #30
PeteSS2018

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro
Are they going to have battery powered trucks, buses, boats, airplanes, trains?

You'd think cars are the only form of transport that uses conventional fuel. But when theyre gone (or going) then fuel supply for those other modes of transport is gonna steadily become way more expensive because the economy of scale will drastically reduce.

And how exactly is CA gonna generate all that electricity to recharge all those battery powered cars?
PeteSS2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:12 AM   #31
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
So just to be clear here, you are saying you don't believe that the temperature has risen in conjunction with the industrial revolution and increase in CO2 levels, not cyclical changes, and those data have been checked in models to move past correlation?

Because that's just what has happened. People who have no idea what it's about always bring up the "well the earth has always changed, gotten hotter and cooler". Well, yes, and that is not what this is about. If you bring that up, you are basically saying you have no understanding or idea what you are talking about and you should just be quite about the subject and let the scientists do their thing. Settlements ARE in the ocean in my state, over the last 20 years, because the permafrost no longer stays frozen.
LOL
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:46 AM   #32
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Do you really think any carmaker will still produce ICE cars by 2035? I am totally a fan of V8 engines. But once electric cars are affordable for everyone and have high enough ranges most people will switch. And this is totally not 15 years ahead, maybe 6-10 years. For luxury cars we already start seeing the electric trend becoming real, when a good amount of buyers prefer the Taycan over the 911.

Even for performance cars there are huge advantages in having instant torque and no transmission anymore. I will most likely keep a V8 car for future, since it's clear that these engines will not be produced for long anymore. But when buying a new car in friggin 15 years ahead, who knows what technology offers the most fun for the money then.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:02 AM   #33
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I am sure some power grids could handle the electric vehicle charging but there are also many locations that would not be able to handle it. In fact there are places that have rolling blackouts right now. I mean is there a possibility that electric cars could be cheaper and charge fast enough where people can go on a road trip maybe but it's not just affordability of the cars for the public.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:21 AM   #34
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Just keep in mind this isn't a law - it's a governors order. Which makes it much easier to overrule. The California state senate did not vote for this.

Also, if a conservative justice is appointed to the SCOTUS and Trump is re-elected, this order is toast. Trump will go after it in court and if it's appealed all the way to the SCOTUS it will loose.

My educated, serious guess is that it won't last. It's more of a PR stunt for Newsome than anything.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #35
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
Do you really think any carmaker will still produce ICE cars by 2035?
Gas-only, internal combustion engines are still 95% of general American overall car and truck sales. Ford is investing tens of millions of dollars into the Bronco which will go on sale in 2021 as a 2022. The truck MAY go to a second generation by then but highly unlikely the chassis, drivetrain, and platform will change much if at all.

You really think that in 15 years it will go down to zero????

In what science fiction novel do you live?
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:31 AM   #36
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
So just to be clear here, you are saying you don't believe that the temperature has risen in conjunction with the industrial revolution and increase in CO2 levels, not cyclical changes, and those data have been checked in models to move past correlation?

Because that's just what has happened. People who have no idea what it's about always bring up the "well the earth has always changed, gotten hotter and cooler". Well, yes, and that is not what this is about. If you bring that up, you are basically saying you have no understanding or idea what you are talking about and you should just be quite about the subject and let the scientists do their thing. Settlements ARE in the ocean in my state, over the last 20 years, because the permafrost no longer stays frozen.
And you know because thats what you are told, what where the core earth temps 100 years ago when we had nearly zero emissions? How accurate do you think those are when we had to dig a hole in a outhouse for plumbing? Facts are sea level has changed by hundreds of feet long before we had cars which would mean the temperature on earth cycle. We know this because there is proof, you can dive down over hundreds of feet and view the cities. Sorry your liberal agenda won't work on me, you can see it with your eyes. LOL just be quite and do what your told, thats your answer? No sorry thats not going to happen Let me guess your for the green new deal? Good luck, I hope California succeeds from the Union and becomes their own county. Then you guys can do what ever you want.

Last edited by pauly1119; 09-24-2020 at 08:24 AM.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:22 AM   #37
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Do you really think any carmaker will still produce ICE cars by 2035? I am totally a fan of V8 engines. But once electric cars are affordable for everyone and have high enough ranges most people will switch. And this is totally not 15 years ahead, maybe 6-10 years. For luxury cars we already start seeing the electric trend becoming real, when a good amount of buyers prefer the Taycan over the 911.

Even for performance cars there are huge advantages in having instant torque and no transmission anymore. I will most likely keep a V8 car for future, since it's clear that these engines will not be produced for long anymore. But when buying a new car in friggin 15 years ahead, who knows what technology offers the most fun for the money then.
This ⬆️ It’s simple economics, EV’s will get better and better as that is where most of the R&D dollars will be going.

Manufacturers will make ICE cars up until falling demand will make them unprofitable, but don’t expect them to continue to invest much in making them better

Most of the public are not automotive enthusiasts and could not care less how their cars are powered as long as they are reliable and cost efficient.

Car companies are going to cater to the largest section of the population and that is not people that frequent car enthusiast forums.

Last edited by Jsreo; 09-24-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #38
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
But once electric cars are affordable for everyone
As good a pipe dream as any . . .

Quote:
Even for performance cars there are huge advantages in having instant torque and no transmission anymore.
So tell me, what's so good about cars not having a transmission (other than the obvious need for forward, reverse, and park)?

There are situations where 'instant torque' is not your friend, and if you have to torque-manage it down for any reason what's the point? Torque that smoothly builds is far easier to work with than torque that comes on like flipping as light switch.

Norm
Old 09-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #39
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
And you know because thats what you are told, what where the core earth temps 100 years ago when we had nearly zero emissions? How accurate do you think those are when we had to dig a hole in a outhouse for plumbing? Facts are sea level has changed by hundreds of feet long before we had cars which would mean the temperature on earth cycle. We know this because there is proof, you can dive down over hundreds of feet and view the cities. Sorry your liberal agenda won't work on me, you can see it with your eyes. LOL just be quite and do what your told, thats your answer? No sorry thats not going to happen Let me guess your for the green new deal? Good luck, I hope California succeeds from the Union and becomes their own county. Then you guys can do what ever you want.
LOL.....WOW......
Old 09-24-2020, 09:03 AM   #40
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
LOL.....WOW......
Yup, that's a whole new level of crazy.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:05 AM   #41
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
LOL.....WOW......
Did I take too far?
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #42
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Bunch of boomers afraid of the future in here, lmao.

Love the thinly veiled ignorance about cAlIfOrNiA, classy Patriotism and all that.

Besides, what did you morons think would happen when GERMANY mandated no more ICE vehicles by 2030? There are more than a couple automakers there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-..._fuel_vehicles
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote