Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #1
federal

Drives: 2019 ZL1
New woes after crankshaft replacement

As some of you may have seen, I recently somehow cracked the crankshaft, in particular the journal in a very clean and horizontal crack.

I but the bullet and had it paid to be replaced - we replaced the crank, all the bearings, oil pump, and returned everything else back to stock.
As evident based off the title, there are new woes with the engine. When I went to pick it up today, the car ran for about 50 feet before shutting off - no problem we thought as it was still on the supercharger tune and we figured it was just running super lean or the AFM or the MAF were freaking out.

We tried to jump it and ended up what I believe to be frying the starter (it started smoking and had that electrical fire type smell from it). Next, we tried to crank the crank by hand to just see if it would turn - big problem because it doesn’t now. We removed the starter enough so that it’s not engaged with anything and we still couldn’t turn the crank by hand. I’m talking completely seized up. Cant even move at all, even with a breaker bar.

The shop had it running and starting just fine, albeit dying on them because of the tune and the various sensors freaking out, but it started. Now it won’t start at all, the crank will not turn by hand, and I’m at a loss for what to do/what could be the issue.

We originally thought the starter jammed it up, but that’s not the issue apparently. The waterpump and everything else spin/move when pressing on the belt, so it’s not them. We’re not sure or think it’s the trans, as it rolls just fine in neutral. We’re thinking maybe the timing chain, so they’re going to pull the cover and see if that’s the issue.

Other than the obvious but potentially unlikely scenario of the crankshaft locking up for no reason, are there any other reasons anyone can think of as to why this crank suddenly seized up? There were no odd noises, clanking, etc. the block, rods, pistons, rings, etc all looked perfect still according to the mechanics when they put everything back in.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #2
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I would pull the plugs, pull the belt and see if the crank turns over by hand.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
I would pull the plugs, pull the belt and see if the crank turns over by hand.
This is what I'd do too, if you pull the plugs and belts off and it will not spin, you have prolly bent a rod because of the tune, just my opinion only, I hope that's not what happened, I'm pretty sure it's not crank related.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote