Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-31-2017, 01:28 AM   #365
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaterMan View Post
That's funny, I owned a 5th gen and 3 different Coyote cars. the 5th gen was far slower than the coyotes at my sea level track and I was never beat in my stock Mustangs by any 5th gen the whole 3 years I raced them there. I ran a 12.7 my first time out on factory tires with less than 500 miles and traction control and all the nannies left on. all the S197's needed to run low low 12's and high 11's was a tune and a set of drag radials. there's a reason they are currently holding in value and hard to find..
Sure bro...sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Sorry but the gap was huge. Bolt on 5.0s were faster than cammed LS3s stock forget it not even close. The 5th Gens were dogs. I remember after I bought the car and was on my way home from the dealership I stomped the gas and said where the hell is the claimed hp. My 2012 5.0 and 392 made the LS3 feel like a petrified turd. Good thing that was remedied in 2016.
Bullshit. If any of your Camaros felt like that then there was something wrong with your car. The 5th Gen SS and S197 GTs were neck and neck with the GT having maybe a small advantage due to less weight and a solid axle. It did not handle better and it definitely was not as comfortable as the SS was.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:53 AM   #366
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
nope
mustang fanboys can get real touchy lol..why pick on me ffs.. it's only my opinion and attacking me personally is pathetic..
personal insults are as low as anyone can get...we're talking about cars not a person..
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:34 AM   #367
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Sure bro...sure.

Bullshit. If any of your Camaros felt like that then there was something wrong with your car. The 5th Gen SS and S197 GTs were neck and neck with the GT having maybe a small advantage due to less weight and a solid axle. It did not handle better and it definitely was not as comfortable as the SS was.
There was nothing wrong with my 5th Gen Camaro other than beginning in 2011 the competition was faster. Anyone who spent anytime at the local strip would know this. Handling wasn't a priority for me and still isn't but I will say that the GT felt like it could be thrown into a corner much harder than the SS.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:40 AM   #368
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Feel doesn't equal performance numbers.. We're talking stock for stock.. There was barely a difference. The difference between the 6th gen cars so far is larger.
You obviously spent no time at the track running stock 5th Gens if you did you would completely understand my post. Don't agree with me go back in Camaro5 forums and look up the posts by owners complaining about getting beat badly by the 2011+ GTs. Back then the Camaro wasn't excelling at anything. Things didn't get better for the SS until the 13 1LE for handling, and now the 16+ model for power.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:13 AM   #369
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
There was nothing wrong with my 5th Gen Camaro other than beginning in 2011 the competition was faster. Anyone who spent anytime at the local strip would know this. Handling wasn't a priority for me and still isn't but I will say that the GT felt like it could be thrown into a corner much harder than the SS.
Anyone who spent any time at a local track would know that if your 5th Gen SS was getting it's ass handed over by stock GTs then something was wrong with your car. Were GTs faster stock for stock? Yes they were. Were they handing Camaros their ass? Absolutely not...not unless it was a horrible driver or your car was messed up. Maybe it was and you just didn't know about it. I go to the track often. And I have never seen this happen as you make it out to be. With good drivers it would come down to within 1-2 tenths.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:17 AM   #370
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
You obviously spent no time at the track running stock 5th Gens if you did you would completely understand my post. Don't agree with me go back in Camaro5 forums and look up the posts by owners complaining about getting beat badly by the 2011+ GTs. Back then the Camaro wasn't excelling at anything. Things didn't get better for the SS until the 13 1LE for handling, and now the 16+ model for power.
I raced plenty of GTs. Both stock and modded and back when I was both stock and modded. I raced lots of everything just about everywhere. And nothing on the level of a bolt-on Mustang/Camaro/Challenger ever whupped me. In fact, I don't ever remember losing unless it was something like a Vette or some other superior car. If these guys all had L99s and were using bad gas thus throwing the car into limp mode and didn't know WTF they were doing and running around trying to race Mustang drivers who knew what they were doing, then yea I can see your point. But otherwise what you're saying is just another fairy tale.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 AM   #371
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleL View Post
No, dodge just could give a **** less about making the challenger handle like a Camaro or mustang.....big, comfortable, and fast in a straight line, that's all they care about.
Point is that you don't need to track your car to feel the shortcomings of the 15-17 S550 GT or the Challenger. The GT's lacking "dynamic attributes so essential to driver satisfaction" were obvious compared to the 16 SS and the Challenger was ruled out from comparisons complete after not measuring up to the Zeta and S197 level.

It may not matter to you but Dodge isn't frozen in the past by choice. The Giorgio platform Challenger was delayed to 2018 and then again to 2021 due to lack of resources. When/if it arrives, the current Challengers weight and poor dynamics will be addressed.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:04 AM   #372
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Yeah, and it felt like it would kill you in the process, especially if it's an uneven surface. The car may have even gripped better than the Camaro, but it did not feel sure footed. It felt light and nimble, but it didn't feel planted once entering a turn. The rear end bounced around pretty bad on me multiple times.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:19 AM   #373
MrNoMercy5000

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
I remember the posts. Lot's of guys were pretty upset about this. When I went from my M6 5th Gen to my S197 it was a pretty significant change in performance. The car was just an overall better experience. Granted I had a 1SS and moved to a fully loaded S197 but even just the way the car peformed was nicer. It's what convinced me to get the S550. The problem for me was the S550 was a drastic let down. Sure dollar for dollar the performance matched the price but I was hoping to see s197 performance or better and actually found that my S550 wasn't as quick. Also, Ford's quality control on the S550 was less than stellar. I had body panels that were misaligned and had to be repainted. The stereo was just plain awful in that car, especially for a GT Premium. The interface for the radio was terrible, although I've heard Ford has fixed that on the newer cars. Those were just a few reasons for me moving on to the 6th Gen 2SS.

When they launched the 2SS I refused to believe it could be that different than the S550 but once I test drove one I honestly could not stop thinking about trading off my S550. I still like the outside appearance of the S550 but the longer I've owned a 6th Gen the more the look has grown on me. Right now on paper I'm not impressed with the 2018 refresh, however that's how I felt about the 6th gen. I'll wait till I see it in person but honestly the performance would have to be drastically better to sway my opinion and I highly doubt Ford is going to release an 11 second Mustang GT any time soon. We shall see though...
MrNoMercy5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #374
Chadicus

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
A lot of mistakes were made with the 550s. All of them are well known at this point. I think they made another one with the new front-end but looks are subjective. Body panel alignment and steering and suspension are not. If the car gets better quality control and they fix the suspension issues it should* be a better match for the Camaro. Considering they are now costing around the same as the SS is they will have had to step up the all around look, feel, and performance of the car.
Chadicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #375
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Here is a nicely configured one that I did....I would NOT buy it in a heartbeat. Too much money.

http://shop.ford.com/build/mustang/2...RE.96B.19B.%5D

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic

Last edited by unavailablezl1; 07-31-2017 at 12:29 PM.
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #376
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Here is a nicely configured one that I did....I would NOT buy it in a heartbeat. Too much money.

http://shop.ford.com/build/mustang/2...RE.96B.19B.%5D
I'd also add spoiler delete. The roof and rear lines look really nice so I wouldn't want a spoiler messing it up.

Your example is a nicely equipped car but $53,260 is pretty steep.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:07 PM   #377
MrNoMercy5000

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadicus View Post
A lot of mistakes were made with the 550s. All of them are well known at this point. I think they made another one with the new front-end but looks are subjective. Body panel alignment and steering and suspension are not. If the car gets better quality control and they fix the suspension issues it should* be a better match for the Camaro. Considering they are now costing around the same as the SS is they will have had to step up the all around look, feel, and performance of the car.
Just looking at the pics I've seen of the interior it doesn't appear any quality there has been improved. Don't get me wrong, the interior on the S550 wasn't bad, it just wasn't as nice as the 2SS. That being said I still liked it better than the ugly dash of the challenger.
MrNoMercy5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:22 PM   #378
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Holy balls.. 53xxx for a GT?

No thanks. I paid 57 for my car and that's ridiculous.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote