Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #197
Tumba

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE Hyper Blue
I just picked up a 2017 1SS 1LE but I did cross shop the mustang quite a bit. I considered waiting for the revisions to come out on the 2018 mustangs but ultimately decided it was unlikely they would make the gt350 irrelevant. The power and options they've added look great! The price hikes look less than great, though they makes sense and don't really surprise me.

Progress is good for both cars and I don't feel like I'm going to regret my decision to get the 1LE. The A10 isn't something I'm interested in anyways since I prefer a manual. I like them both but I still think the Camaro is the better option in most matchups even with the mustang's improvements.

I'm definitely looking forward to some comparisons between the two once the 2018 mustang is released. It will be interesting to see which packages get compared between them.
Tumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #198
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post

*Edit: WTH happened to Mustang Fanboy? He's been suspended for what?
Agree. Its all in fun with Fanboy

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #199
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Mustang on Parr with Camaro pricing now. Now its war on 2 fronts. Pricing and performance.
Now GM needs to just "hold the line" and not give Mustang the cost parity back by raising Camaro's MSRP's. If they do, we'll be right back where we started.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #200
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigante View Post
Now the stang is as quick as the 6th gen, if not quicker. Plus it looks better. Profit.
The gt500 will bury the zl1 in every freakin' aspect. Probably expect for handling, but who really gives a damn about it.
The upcoming 19' camaro must get some serious visual changes, otherwise we're ucked, till the 7th gen.
P.s. Few years ago I was waiting for the 6th gen so much, who knew that they would release the ugliest camaro ever...
Your'e FOS!
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #201
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNoMercy5000 View Post
From what I've seen the refresh looks like Ford's attempt to make the Mustang more like the Camaro. I had a 2015 S550 and really liked the looks. Now they've went and changed it and while I think it's "okay" I'm not impressed. They will have to make some serious quality upgrades to do better than the 2SS I have now. The seats I had in the 15 GT premium were nowhere near the quality of the 2SS seats. I actually liked the seats in the S197 I had better. I will admit the Safe & Smart package is very nice to have. One thing I can't believe they haven't added is the full glass roof like the S197 had. It was a really cool thing to have and they took it away from the S550. As for a moonroof.. Have Mustangs ever had a moonroof?

As for the bench racing, It looks like Ford is putting a lot of hope in this A10 transmission. 5 more hp means almost nothing and the lack of torque will matter more. Like some have pointed out though, it will all come down to how that torque is managed. I tend to agree with those that have said this will be a mid to high 12 second Mustang unless the track is prepped with unicorn tears. I also think that if Ford had been putting down 1/4 mile times that beat the SS they would have published that info as well. For the last few years Ford has been focused more on handling than straight line performance and they will have no issues selling a mid to high 12 second car.

Any bets on how long American Muscle will take to build a 10 second 2018 GT?

I don't think the Mustang has offered a moonroof since the Foxbody, which I am glad about that I hate moonroofs lol.

And to be honest with you I am surprised Ford even said anything about any performance numbers. I don't recall them really ever releasing any type of numbers the way GM or Ford does. It seems like they always just let the magazines do the testing. The only performance numbers I really ever remember them saying is that the 13-14 GT500 could hit 200MPH
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #202
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Agree. Its all in fun with Fanboy
Yep he's been more civil than I would be with some of the stuff said. So curious what he did/said that got him suspended but not others.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #203
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
You must have craptastic drivers at your track. Here at Atco we've had a few drivers hit 12.4-12.5 stock in good air. Pretty sure Camaro owners on this forum have seen it. I hit 12.7 stock on an 85 degree day a few year ago.
No. You're just at one of the fastest tracks in the country. Tracks like atco is where stock 6gens run high 11s

Again. It was an auto s550 with drag pack and tune. No spinning. Dead hooking. The car had nothing left in it sorry.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #204
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Fanboy View Post
Indeed, which is why it's fortunate we don't launch our cars off idle.

While nothing is confirmed yet, with 7 non overdrive fwd gears in the 10 speed...I would assume the A10 combined with 3.55 gearing is going to be steeper than the current A6. The current combo has a final drive ratio of 14.8:1, which is fairly respectable....if the stock converter was matched a bit better.

In order for the 18GT to achieve sub 4 second 0-60 times, I would assume the A10 is shorter. Hell, the A10 in the ZL1 has a shorter first gear than the A8.
With an automatic and stock converter off idle is about all you are going to get. Works best for mine. A slight brake stall can be done to bring the Rpm up slightly but that's about it. At which point the 5.0 is still sucking hind teet at those slightly higher than idle rpm
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #205
MrNoMercy5000

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I don't think the Mustang has offered a moonroof since the Foxbody, which I am glad about that I hate moonroofs lol.

And to be honest with you I am surprised Ford even said anything about any performance numbers. I don't recall them really ever releasing any type of numbers the way GM or Ford does. It seems like they always just let the magazines do the testing. The only performance numbers I really ever remember them saying is that the 13-14 GT500 could hit 200MPH
Don't you remember the big deal at the Auto Show when they announced the GT500 numbers just shortly after Chevy had released the 5th Gen ZL1? Created a major uproar. My point is... if it was a number worth bragging about they would since they bragged about everything else. The Demon has pretty much stolen all the thunder of the straight line car for now so everyone seems to be more focused on track even though most consumers will never race/track the cars.
MrNoMercy5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #206
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNoMercy5000 View Post
Don't you remember the big deal at the Auto Show when they announced the GT500 numbers just shortly after Chevy had released the 5th Gen ZL1? Created a major uproar. My point is... if it was a number worth bragging about they would since they bragged about everything else. The Demon has pretty much stolen all the thunder of the straight line car for now so everyone seems to be more focused on track even though most consumers will never race/track the cars.
I remember the big deal was the HP, and the top speed. I honestly don't remember Ford themselves ever stating 0-60, 1/4 or figure 8s or any measurable metric. If they did my bad, but I honestly don't remember Ford stating anything
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #207
Auto02

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Car should break into the 11's with out much trouble and if it doesn't do it in factory, off the lot form, we ALL know that it won't take much to get it there....
Old 07-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #208
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
I like the look of the new mustang, and of course more hp is always a good thing. However you have to add the performance package to do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Sounds like your going to have to pay the base msrp plus another 2-5k to beat the SS .

The drag mode is a nice feature, curious to learning more about that. All in all positive changes for ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto02 View Post
Car should break into the 11's with out much trouble and if it doesn't do it in factory, off the lot form, we ALL know that it won't take much to get it there....
Yea no doubt if the car can do 0-60 in less than 4 seconds, breaking the 11's wont be a problem. Crazy to see the new SS and 18' GT can almost do the same quarter mile time as my 5th Gen ZL1.

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #209
sixstrings

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
100% agree... love the GT PP. I'm hoping the 18 closes the gap, but don't think it will come close to a 1LE in performance.

You owe me a test drive on a 2SS 1LE dammit
That was always going to happen!
sixstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #210
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
I personally think Ford and GM both do this on purpose, they let camaro lead for half of the gen cycle then ford makes changes and equals or leads, so they both get peak sales for the number crunchers. Than the GT500 will come up take the crown than chevy will counter and lead. I think they both want each other to do well why else would they co develop the 10 speed
I wondered this as well. But I'm not sure that is the case. One thing I will give the Mustang is that they do not need to beat the Camaro in performance in order to sell. Mustangs just sell. Mainly due to how cheap you can get them for. Now the price is going up. So it will have to perform better. But how much better is the question. Right now the GT isn't even close. It hasn't hurt their sales but they had to make a move especially since the V6 sports cars are closing in on them. So this little upgrade will boost them enough to look like they're remaining competitive while not actually matching the SS and giving them a sales hike. Do they have to do a low 12? No. I say it'll do a mid 12, high in the mid 12s, and that'll be enough to keep their hardcore fans interested.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote