Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-28-2015, 01:31 AM   #1
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Classic Westerns

The Western movie has fallen out of favor in recent years. But there have been notable exceptions such as "Django Unchained".

In the next couple of months we will have some westerns that should prove interesting. They are...

"The Hateful Eight"...Another Tarantino western that looks fantastic.

"The Revenant" with Leonardo DiCaprio...Directed by the same guy that did "Gravity" (can't remember his name).

"Bone Tomahawk"...With Kurt Russell (Nuff said), and a fantastic supporting cast. Just released. Saw this one today on VOD...If you like classic westerns and graphic horror movies, this one is right up your alley. I think it is destined to be a (cult?) classic.

Would like to start a discussion about westerns...What are your favorites?
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #2
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Sorry, my bad. The name of the guy who directed "The Revenant" is Alejandro González Iñárritu...He directed "Birdman", not "Gravity".

Alfonso Cuarón directed "Gravity".
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3

Old 10-29-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
I read the original book that the film "The Revenant" is based on (Lord Grizzly by Manfred) and look forward to the flick.

Classic Westerns were the Spaghetti Westerns, we all know and love em!

My favs are:
1. Unforgiven
2. Outlaw Josey Wales (based on Forrest Carter's "Gone to Texas"; I have a first edition of this, yes I am a book nut)
3. 3:10 to Yuma (the newer one)
4. Lone Wolf McQuade (all the elements and music of a western, though not quite a western)

I don't list "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" because really it has no real comparable.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
One shouldn't leave "Tombstone" (Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer) off the list.

Bring back the day of the TV western series:
Bonanza, Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Big Valley, and the crazy Wild, Wild West....... to name a few.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
One shouldn't leave "Tombstone" (Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer) off the list.

Bring back the day of the TV western series:
Bonanza, Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Big Valley, and the crazy Wild, Wild West....... to name a few.
I actually liked the "Wyatt Earp" film with Costner better overall, but Kilmer was the best Doc.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 10-29-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
My favorite is still "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly".

I'm also a huge John Wayne fan.

Back in 1977, I went up to Canada with my family (Dad, mom, me & my brother, 2 cats and a dog) on a 51 foot ketch. We cruised for the summer in the Puget Sound up to Nanaimo and other inlets.

We cruised up the Princess Louisa Inlet, to the end of the inlet where there was a waterfall, and a small dock with one other boat anchored there...a very large powerboat (over 100 feet). After we had anchored, a skiff came over to our boat to invite us over for cocktails and dinner.

It ended up being John Wayne, and I was speechless. I was about 15, and it was pretty cool to meet one of my childhood heroes, and listen to some of the stories he told.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #8
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post

Back in 1977, I went up to Canada with my family (Dad, mom, me & my brother, 2 cats and a dog) on a 51 foot ketch. We cruised for the summer in the Puget Sound up to Nanaimo and other inlets.

We cruised up the Princess Louisa Inlet, to the end of the inlet where there was a waterfall, and a small dock with one other boat anchored there...a very large powerboat (over 100 feet). After we had anchored, a skiff came over to our boat to invite us over for cocktails and dinner.

It ended up being John Wayne, and I was speechless. I was about 15, and it was pretty cool to meet one of my childhood heroes, and listen to some of the stories he told.
Im quite a bit jealous now lol must have been awesome just to hear what that man had to say. Did he give you any life advice BTW?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:

Dude if you are ever in Boston I would LOVE to hang out!

Old 10-29-2015, 10:22 PM   #10
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlsinva View Post
Im quite a bit jealous now lol must have been awesome just to hear what that man had to say. Did he give you any life advice BTW?
I honestly don't remember much of the details of the conversations at this point. I was having a serious case of "OMG...JOHN WAYNE" at the time, and was trying my best not to show it.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:27 PM   #11
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
Dude if you are ever in Boston I would LOVE to hang out!
Missed you the last time I came up that way. Went with a friend of mine from Candia, NH to the Rush concert (R40) in Boston a few months back
Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 PM   #12
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
You guys are naming some good ones. Open Range is another good one with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall. Really good shootout at the end. All the Eastwood westerns are good and Young Guns.

...and Three Amigos definitely a western classic lol.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:56 PM   #13
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
...and Three Amigos definitely a western classic lol.
If you're going to go there, that movie is way overshadowed by Blazing Saddles...just sayin'...
Old 10-29-2015, 11:08 PM   #14
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
If you're going to go there, that movie is way overshadowed by Blazing Saddles...just sayin'...
I can't argue with that.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote