Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Door Ding help

So I went to wash my car today and I saw the NASTIEST door ding I have ever seen. It seems like someone full out winded their door up and threw it against my passenger side door as HARD as they can. It's very...very bad.

I was wondering how some of you fix these dings. I don't want to take it into the shop if I can do it myself. I have a lot of damage and am waiting for after summer to take it in and get everything fixed ($1,800 worth of keying and hit-and-run paint left on my rim)...
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
wylde1
I am the Stig

Drives: Black w/ IOM stripe 1SS
damn, sounds like you've had some terrible luck.

If I ever caught someone keying a car I'd be going to jail for what I did to them...

anyway, if the paint isn't cracked and it's just dented in, you can get body suction cups that you can stick to the middle of the dent and pull the skin back out. just start gently and as close to the middle of the dent as you can get. Another option is to take the inside door panel off and tap it out from the inside, this is slightly less risky on your paint, but more assembly/disassembly work.

aside from that, if your paint is chipped or cracked you can still try and get the dent out, but you'll have to paint the whole door if you want it to look factory again.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
HALFFAST

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
If its as bad as you describe it you will probably want to let someone with experience take care of this one.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
one of the "fix a dent" places in your area can pull the dent out while you wait.i would just wait and have all your damage done at one time.i would not try and fix the dent myself,you may mess it up more.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
You had some other problems with vandalism to your car?

Someones definitely doesn't like you.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Yeah, you seem to be having the worst of luck! Did you have a rough break up with somebody in the past 6 months? Did you win the lottery and somebody is jealous?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
didn't we read this same story a few months ago? I couldn't possibly see why anyone would want to intentionally damage your car...

Paint-less dent repair can be done but should be left to a professional... i doubt you are a professional

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
You had some other problems with vandalism to your car?

Someones definitely doesn't like you.
Since I got the car on Sept. 4, I have wracked up an astonishing $1,800 worth of vandalism to my car. I have like 3 or 4 different keying, red paint from someone who swiped my car and just left and now a huge door ding.
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Dude, I would save up all the issues and have them all done at once. I would not deal with the door ding if it is on a panel that will be repainted for one of the other problems.

The paintless dent repair shops can deal with most door dings very well if the paint is not damaged. The paint chip that you see on most door dings will have to be touched up either by brush/dab or air brush / buff. systems. Some paintless system shops do both.
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
worked at a bar back in the early 90's, always parked my car far away and one night I came out and found my passanger door caved in. Had it fixed that week, one week later came out one night and the drivers door had the same caving. Let's just say I wasn't a happy camper! Quit the bar a couple weeks later, was costing me more in repairs than I was making working there!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
firstmate

Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
I had a ding from a fellow Camaro owner, wasn't severe, and the paint was not damaged. Got paintless dent repair. They had a tool that slid down into the window, inside the door panel, that kind of pushed the dent back out from the inside of the door. It looked fabulous afterwards, and cost a whopping 65.00. I was very pleased. Of course this won't help with the keying. Good luck!!!
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
As a painter in a body shop I am sold on the paintless repair method whenever appropriate. It is cheaper than hammer, dolly, grind and repaint plus no paint match worries!
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote