Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #57
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Funny you mention it, there are. I’ve just started WOT tuning over the past couple of days and have had a chance to take a closer look at this pumps performance. My car is pullied very conservative for the build since I’m worried about fuel. I just don’t think this pump has much benefit over the LT4 I’m sorry to say, and probably no advantage over an LT4/voltage booster combo. At 87 lbs/min airflow (about 740 WHP) the pump will not hold 70 psi...it drops to 40 psi during the run. I’m calling for 15.9 volts to the pump and commanding 500 KPA (72.5 psi), so I believe I have it tuned correctly in the ECM/FSCM. And this is pump 93 gas (E10 here in New England), so no real E to speak of.

So, on the positive side, I’m not running a voltage booster (I think boosting the voltage with this pump would likely pop the FSCM fuse) so it’s a simple setup that didn’t cost a lot. And I didn’t lose the factory bucket in the tank, which is a good thing if I ever decide to take it to a road course.

On the negative side, I was hoping for a little more oomph. The pump is supposedly rated for 1000 HP with gasoline (no E). I suppose I can try commanding 40 psi and see if it holds it for a long pull...?
Thanks for this feedback. It's very good information.

If your pressure is dropping that much, then you are right at the edge of losing all pressure. Pumps certainly flow better at lower pressures, but I don't know that commanding 275 kpa is a good idea. Commanding higher pressure won't help either. I've spent hours on the dyno tweaking fuel pump related settings and it basically was just a long exercise to learn the settings are optimal in stock form (at least for the stock pump).

Quote:
...I’m calling for 15.9 volts to the pump...
I assume you are using the Fuel System Voltage Min table. Are you sure that's doing what you think it's doing? I'm not sure it actually increases the voltage to the pump (maybe it does). What it might do though is work against you and cause the FPCM to command a lower duty cycle. If it thinks your pump is working at 15.9 and you still have Base duty cycle table and the VBAT Mult table configured for the stock pump, I bet it will reduce pump performance instead of increase it.

I'd leave the voltages in the tune stock and work to get the calibration for the pump correct if you haven't already (Min DC, Base, VBAT Mult).

In the end, you still may need a voltage booster, but at least the configuration will be correct which will allow the car to maintain steady pressure instead of bouncing high and low.

(BTW. Take this for what it's worth. I'm not an expert and don't claim to be. I've just spent a lot of time experimenting with fuel pump settings.)

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #58
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Thanks for this feedback. It's very good information.

If your pressure is dropping that much, then you are right at the edge of losing all pressure. Pumps certainly flow better at lower pressures, but I don't know that commanding 275 kpa is a good idea. Commanding higher pressure won't help either. I've spent hours on the dyno tweaking fuel pump related settings and it basically was just a long exercise to learn the settings are optimal in stock form (at least for the stock pump).

I assume you are using the Fuel System Voltage Min table. Are you sure that's doing what you think it's doing? I'm not sure it actually increases the voltage to the pump (maybe it does). What it might do though is work against you and cause the FPCM to command a lower duty cycle. If it thinks your pump is working at 15.9 and you still have Base duty cycle table and the VBAT Mult table configured for the stock pump, I bet it will reduce pump performance instead of increase it.

I'd leave the voltages in the tune stock and work to get the calibration for the pump correct if you haven't already (Min DC, Base, VBAT Mult).

In the end, you still may need a voltage booster, but at least the configuration will be correct which will allow the car to maintain steady pressure instead of bouncing high and low.

(BTW. Take this for what it's worth. I'm not an expert and don't claim to be. I've just spent a lot of time experimenting with fuel pump settings.)
Good stuff Travis. I’ve modified the VBat table since I noticed it reduces the duty cycle at “normal” car voltages, so I put that table to 1.00 to stop that. I also put allowed max DC to 130, expecting that to help but it didn’t. Seemed to get worse actually.

Agreed, I’m not sure about the Fuel System Min Voltage table. I just took the stock ZL1 table and tweaked it up a tick to 15.9, but I’m not entirely sure if that helps either. But I feel like the pump is capable of more, but not sure where I’m going wrong.

I guess another possibility is the factory fuel line might not be big enough? I’m running the LPE check and eliminated the tiny OEM one that was pinched into the original fuel hose, so hopefully that is one bottleneck gone. But I found it interesting that I was holding full 2900# rail pressure even though the low side was dropping pretty good, so I’m thinking maybe the check setup helped with that.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #59
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Good stuff Travis. I’ve modified the VBat table since I noticed it reduces the duty cycle at “normal” car voltages, so I put that table to 1.00 to stop that. I also put allowed max DC to 130, expecting that to help but it didn’t. Seemed to get worse actually.
It's a balancing act. Too high or too low and the fuel supply will not be optimal. When you max out settings, one of two things will happen. Either the pump will start cavitating and reduce flow or you'll bump up against a max pressure which will trigger a large correction.

I've learned you have to try to keep it right in the sweet spot at WOT (~500 KPA). Not higher or lower. Of course, you'll get some minor correction during shifts, but with steady demand the pressure should be really steady. If not, something is not optimal.

If I may offer more advice, I'd say do your best to configure the tables as close to the actual performance of the pump as possible. Find every spec sheet or test you can find to get actual numbers. When everything is in balance, I'm confident that's when the pump will provide the most fuel. Don't be tempted to bump up settings in an attempt to make the pump work harder. That's what I was doing, and I wasted days of my life tweaking settings only to find out that's not how it works best. It's like whac-a-mole. A tweak in one place may appear to make things better under a specific condition, but somewhere else a problem will crop up.

After tweaking pretty much everything, I landed on a config with only the High Flow mode conditions slightly tweaked to be enabled at 3,200. Everything else is now back to stock with the fuel pump tune (just using the JMS booster now). (I know your pump is different than mine, but just sharing my experience.)

Quote:
I guess another possibility is the factory fuel line might not be big enough?
The factory fuel line should be plenty large enough. Going to a larger line might improve the pressure drops by a few PSI, but I don't think it will make a meaningful difference.

Quote:
I’m running the LPE check and eliminated the tiny OEM one that was pinched into the original fuel hose, so hopefully that is one bottleneck gone. But I found it interesting that I was holding full 2900# rail pressure even though the low side was dropping pretty good, so I’m thinking maybe the check setup helped with that.
That's interesting! My check valve is stock and the pressure drops seemed to correlate pretty well between the low and high side. Who knows? Maybe it does make a positive difference.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #60
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by scantone View Post
This with a JMS might be the ticket!
I think @scantone was on to something. I just ordered up a JMS voltage booster and will give that a try with the DW400. Stay tuned...
Old 09-05-2020, 12:34 PM   #61
Joshinator99

JMS update

So, after adding the JMS voltage booster, I can confirm that it’s a must have, even with the bigger DW400 pump. With my build finally getting dialed in, I’m not spinning the blower very hard (only 11 psi), so HP Tuners shows ~90 lb/min of airflow (around 900 crank HP, maybe 760 at the wheels). Only on 93 octane now (E10 around here). *Without* the JMS, I would command 72 psi and it would start there, but by the end of two full gears of WOT, I would be down to 38 psi... not good! *With* the JMS, I’m still commanding 72 psi, and it’s holding it the full time, no problem.

I’m sure it’s capable of more, and of adding E of course, but unfortunately I’m still limited by my injectors currently (5.7ms). Once I get a chance to play with that a bit and get that down, I’ll pulley the Whipple down a bit and see where the next road block is... or, maybe try adding some E.

TLDR: you need the JMS, no matter what in tank pump you’re running.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:35 AM   #62
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
5.7ms on the injectors is safe imo. 6.2-6.3 is about as high as I like to see them in short blips.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #63
xqwzit

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS 6M
I want one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
I can build more of these if anyone is interest. The Cadillac ATS-V community is now using this pump modification
Hi Dixie ZL1. I'd like to buy this setup. Please contact me asap

Last edited by xqwzit; 02-23-2021 at 03:15 PM.
xqwzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #64
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
Bringing this thread back to life.
Deatschwerks has a new kit available for 2016+ Camaros.
https://deatschwerks.com/products/9-442-c103-0902
Did anyone try this one yet?
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980
swisstyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #65
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstyphoon View Post
Bringing this thread back to life.
Deatschwerks has a new kit available for 2016+ Camaros.
https://deatschwerks.com/products/9-442-c103-0902
Did anyone try this one yet?
Looks like very little improvement over the DW400 unfortunately... (405 LPH vs 390 at 60 psi). The other question is: could you use a JMS voltage booster with the 440 (you can with the 400)?

Although there is something to be said about the brushless pump making way less heat in the fuel.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:01 PM   #66
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
Quote:
Looks like very little improvement over the DW400 unfortunately... (405 LPH vs 390 at 60 psi). The other question is: could you use a JMS voltage booster with the 440 (you can with the 400)?

Although there is something to be said about the brushless pump making way less heat in the fuel.
I think the JMS Voltage booster would not work with the box that comes with this kit.
Looks like the stock ZL1 pump with a Voltage booster is still the better option.
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980
swisstyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:15 PM   #67
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstyphoon View Post
I think the JMS Voltage booster would not work with the box that comes with this kit.
Looks like the stock ZL1 pump with a Voltage booster is still the better option.
Might be worth reaching out to DW to inquire about the voltage booster question.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #68
pavetim

Drives: firebird
I am putting an lt4 sc on my ss, pulley to bring boost to around 7psi. I am eventually planing on runnin e85. I am putting in lt4 injectors and hpfp, you think the dw400 would be good for me? Not looking to make too much hp, maybe 600-650
pavetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:47 AM   #69
Joshinator99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavetim View Post
I am putting an lt4 sc on my ss, pulley to bring boost to around 7psi. I am eventually planing on runnin e85. I am putting in lt4 injectors and hpfp, you think the dw400 would be good for me? Not looking to make too much hp, maybe 600-650
Regular ZL1 in tank with JMS voltage booster is perfect for your setup.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:40 PM   #70
pavetim

Drives: firebird
Does the powermax put out variable voltage or is it a constant feed? Does the stock pump use variable voltage?
pavetim is offline   Reply With Quote