Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Bigwormgraphix


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2020, 06:07 PM   #169
Umbriel

 
Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bartlett, TN
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 2SS View Post
honestly if someone happened to be looking to buy an already boosted ss i'd probably give mine up and buy a gt, sad to say because I have always liked chevy better
Just forge your bottom end.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #170
19 2SS
 
Drives: 2019 camaro 2ss
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: PA
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Just forge your bottom end.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
And how much labor is that gonna run lol.. PLUS my already upgraded fuel system probably wont even handle the 800.. I could be wrong about that one though
__________________
2.9 Whipple, CSP longtubes, borla atak, lt4 fueling, zl1 rep wheels, Nitto nt555rii
19 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #171
Staves
 
Drives: women crazy
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: CA
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Well, yeah, when you have the low-end torque of a screwdriver and a redline of 13+k RPM, then you need to cruise at a higher RPM.

Realtime MPG display is not that accurate, and obviously don't lug the engine by dropping the RPM way too low.

Some manual cars actually have recommended shift points for daily driving in Owner's Manual. Not the Camaro, for some reason.

Sent from toaster or something
Exactly. I commuted by sport bikes for a decade. I still drove my Ď19 Mustang GT in 6th gear at 70 or above. It didnít feel lifeless either. The Camaroís 6th gear felt taller to me. Ended up with an A10 anyway.
__________________
Ď19 1SS A10, Borla S-type Non-NPP.
Staves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #172
Umbriel

 
Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Bartlett, TN
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 2SS View Post
And how much labor is that gonna run lol.. PLUS my already upgraded fuel system probably wont even handle the 800.. I could be wrong about that one though
I wouldn't switch to a car you like less just because it's easier, I did a forged 416, twin turbo kit and port injection for mine. It wasn't cheap but I have the car I want with over 1000 hp.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:08 AM   #173
Speak99
 
Speak99's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 127
Camaro looks are just killer, people canít believe its a Chevy. I also bought it because of the outstanding Engine and transmission. The front facia is supper mean looking and those lines on the back quarter panels are gorgeous.
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 07:38 AM   #174
Flowtie1
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: South florida
Posts: 251
I never even considered it. Never
__________________
2017 ZL1 M6 Silver Ice Metallic
Flowtie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #175
Dave777
 
Drives: 1985 Z28
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 28
It’s cheaper to run 9s or 10s in a Mustang.

But I really don’t care if 99.999% of the time I’m not at a drag strip....
Dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #176
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 6,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
So GM wanting to make sure that people didn't go into their computer and **** up their transmission turned you off? I completely understand that, I wouldn't want people screwing around with it either if I were GM. Plenty of 4th, 5th and early 6th Gens to mod the hell out of.
It's hard to ignore the possibility that GM locked the aftermarket out of the 20+ TCM in the wake of the aftermarket figuring out how to revise the slip tables for the A8 to fix that transmission's shudder.

I mostly agree with gtfoxy, that being locked out of the TCM represents a "take-away" by GM.


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe 5M (the occasional track toy)
'19 WRX 6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #177
arpad_m


 
arpad_m's Avatar
 
Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 2SS View Post
And how much labor is that gonna run lol.. PLUS my already upgraded fuel system probably wont even handle the 800.. I could be wrong about that one though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It's hard to ignore the possibility that GM locked the aftermarket out of the 20+ TCM in the wake of the aftermarket figuring out how to revise the slip tables for the A8 to fix that transmission's shudder.

I mostly agree with gtfoxy, that being locked out of the TCM represents a "take-away" by GM.
A pretty unhealthy attitude on GM's part, if you ask me. In terms of control hardware and software, it seems to me automakers have traditionally been lagging far behind the technology curve for some reason (indifference? risk avoidance? greed?). Today's infotainment systems could be rewritten to a much higher standard from scratch by a team of 2-3 in a couple months, with very few exceptions. (I led a relavitely small team that created a complete UAV system with realtime 3D augmented reality in the early 2010's, so I'm not BSing here.)

Now, against that backdrop, one wonders why GM's first drastic lockdown had to be implemented with the T93. I mean, why not every module? How come they still allow ECM tuning, which is far more consequential? Kind of a bitter pill to swallow when the platform is so mind-boggingly capable.
__________________
2018 Camaro 2SS
G7E A8 NPP MRC NAV
Magnuson Heartbeat TVS2300 | Roto-Fab CAI | JMS PowerMAX voltage booster
Soler LT5 95mm TB | 1LE replica wheels | BMR rear cradle lockout | Jannetty Racing custom tune
1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #178
Idaho2018GTPremium
 
Idaho2018GTPremium's Avatar
 
Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Idaho
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
A pretty unhealthy attitude on GM's part, if you ask me. In terms of control hardware and software, it seems to me automakers have traditionally been lagging far behind the technology curve for some reason (indifference? risk avoidance? greed?). Today's infotainment systems could be rewritten to a much higher standard from scratch by a team of 2-3 in a couple months, with very few exceptions. (I led a relavitely small team that created a complete UAV system with realtime 3D augmented reality in the early 2010's, so I'm not BSing here.)

Now, against that backdrop, one wonders why GM's first drastic lockdown had to be implemented with the T93. I mean, why not every module? How come they still allow ECM tuning, which is far more consequential? Kind of a bitter pill to swallow when the platform is so mind-boggingly capable.
I have a friend that works for a tech. company that provides computer chips to automobile manufacturers. Because of the safety required and risk of components failing, they HAVE to use components that are fail proof compared to something that goes in a tablet or phone. Thus, the "old" chips are proven over time and can be used with high confidence. New tech. isn't proven enough, so the auto manufacturers do lag behind.

Now WRT the programming of the infotainment - and I'm speculating here - I can see how that's different. I think the expert programmers go to tech. companies like Apple, Google, MicroSoft, Amazon, etc., whereas car companies get the leftovers, the "C students", so to speak, so the programming isn't as good. That's just a guess.
__________________
2021 Camaro ZL1 -- Shadow gray metallic, CF hood insert, A10, Nav, CF shift knob cover

2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, A10, and MagneRide + Bolt ons (SOLD 4/2021)

Past:
1987 Camaro Z28
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
2007 MazdaSpeed3
Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:12 PM   #179
CamaroSSStlfan
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: FL
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It's hard to ignore the possibility that GM locked the aftermarket out of the 20+ TCM in the wake of the aftermarket figuring out how to revise the slip tables for the A8 to fix that transmission's shudder.

I mostly agree with gtfoxy, that being locked out of the TCM represents a "take-away" by GM.


Norm

I wonder if it's due to warranty issues too. Remember the Coyote engines, at least the first few years of them there was issues with cylinders detonating after tunes were installed. I think it was cylinder number 8. That was the reason I never loaded a tune onto mine. I was worried I'd wreck my engine and be stuck with having to buy a new engine
CamaroSSStlfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #180
GAbobcat2ss
 
Drives: 2SS - Nightfall Grey 6m, npp, nav
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Cumming GA
Posts: 19
I've owned two mustang GTs over the years a 1987 and a 2011 both I bought when new. The mustang is a fun car for the money IMHO. In 2016 I looked at buying another Mustang GT but I was kind of put off by the manual trans. I really thing the manual in the Camaro is much better shifting transmission. The clutch and gear spacing I think is also better on the Camaro. I'm a fan of the 5.0 coyote motor but I prefer the power delivery on the LT1. Overall my SS Camaro has been one of my favorite cars and I've owned a lot of different ones over the years.
GAbobcat2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:27 AM   #181
CoeusAscended
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS 2018
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 102
I like them, but I like Camaros better. The looks of the Camaro are more aggressive and more to my taste, and the interior is great. I live how it has a simplistic and sleek design, and while it gets shit by Americans for not "being up to par" with German cars, here in Europe the reaction is the complete opposite, everyone that's been in both has said they like it way more. The Mustang has imo a very cheap looking and lazy interior, there's no nice lines, no feeling of sleekness. Its just meh. A forged bottom end does sound nice tho but I'll never run the 650+hp required to justify a forged bottom end anyhow so to me its not a big deal.
__________________
CoeusAscended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #182
LT4Greg


 
LT4Greg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeusAscended View Post
I like them, but I like Camaros better. The looks of the Camaro are more aggressive and more to my taste, and the interior is great. I live how it has a simplistic and sleek design, and while it gets shit by Americans for not "being up to par" with German cars, here in Europe the reaction is the complete opposite, everyone that's been in both has said they like it way more. The Mustang has imo a very cheap looking and lazy interior, there's no nice lines, no feeling of sleekness. Its just meh. A forged bottom end does sound nice tho but I'll never run the 650+hp required to justify a forged bottom end anyhow so to me its not a big deal.
I guess some folks in this country just donít know how good we have it here in regards to owning a Camaro. I can agree with your reply about the Camaro and my thinking is if a person doesnít like the looks of the Camaro then buy a Mustang or Challenger and drive on. Personally I think the 6gen looks much better than the 5th gen and is a vast improvement over it too. And I did own a 2010 2SS.
__________________
ZL1 Coupe, PDR, Exposed carbon fiber hood insert, My Link with Nav, M6 6 speed and Silver Ice Metallic. Mods done: ceramic window tint, GM Accessories Camaro floor mats and Roto-Fab CAI.
LT4Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.