Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-20-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
Buschman

Drives: 2018 ZL1 2015 1SS 1LE
13 ZL1 conversion

Morning all,
I have a 15 1LE and am thinking about swapping front bumper and headlights from a 13 ZL1. Has anyone done similar? Did a search and found a few threads about swapping to the 6th gen ZL1 style but not 5th gen.

I’m assuming all mounting points should be the same for both bumper and headlights, is the wiring close or would I have to make some custom harnesses?

Buschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
Speeddmn

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Id assume it isnt much different than the guys that swap early gen 5’s to zl1. Couple youtube videos out there that explain it. To run all the lights I believe there is one harness you have to buy or make.
Speeddmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
It really shouldn't be too much different since the 2015 ZL1 has the exact same front end as the early ZL1s. The 2014/2015 did not get a refreshed front end. You mentioned headlights, which will obviously need to be changed, but other than that I think it should be straight forward.

Only other major difference that I can think of is the cowl on the earlier cars was narrower. So you may want to research if the 2014/15 ZL1 cars used the narrow or wider cowl hood, since the cowl body lines also carry onto the front bumper cover. This is easily fixable by a body shop to match your current hood. Some aftermarket bumper swap companies can also send you a corrected ZL1 bumper to match your newer hood. Another option is to change to an early SS or ZL1 hood to match those lines.

I have also seen some people not even bother trying to match as it's not obvious if you aren't looking for it.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Buschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
It really shouldn't be too much different since the 2015 ZL1 has the exact same front end as the early ZL1s. The 2014/2015 did not get a refreshed front end. You mentioned headlights, which will obviously need to be changed, but other than that I think it should be straight forward.

Only other major difference that I can think of is the cowl on the earlier cars was narrower. So you may want to research if the 2014/15 ZL1 cars used the narrow or wider cowl hood, since the cowl body lines also carry onto the front bumper cover. This is easily fixable by a body shop to match your current hood. Some aftermarket bumper swap companies can also send you a corrected ZL1 bumper to match your newer hood. Another option is to change to an early SS or ZL1 hood to match those lines.

I have also seen some people not even bother trying to match as it's not obvious if you aren't looking for it.
Thanks. Have an Anderson’s Composites cowl hood already, has the 13 cowl lines. That’s one of the reasons I want to do the conversion. The other is increased air flow to the procharger race intercooler.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Thanks. Have an Anderson’s Composites cowl hood already, has the 13 cowl lines. That’s one of the reasons I want to do the conversion. The other is increased air flow to the procharger race intercooler.
Sweet! That's going to look awesome.The other thing to consider depending on where you get the bumper from or if it's a kit, is that when installing on an earlier 5th gen Camaro (2010-2013), you usually will reuse the OEM DRLs or fog lights (if an LS/LT) that the car came with for the upper fogs/drls on the ZL1 bumper. The kits almost always come with the correct lower ZL1 projector fogs though.

Also, I am not sure if the bumper absorber between model years would be the same or if any trimming would need to be done to the steel impact bar. I have seen a few people that had to do some minor cutting on those to get the bumper cover to fully seat, but that might have been on aftermarket ZL1 covers.

I haven't done this conversion yet, but I have done some research as it's one of my most wanted mods.

Not sure about the headlights or if any of the supports/brackets would need swapping out.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:36 PM   #6
Buschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Sweet! That's going to look awesome.The other thing to consider depending on where you get the bumper from or if it's a kit, is that when installing on an earlier 5th gen Camaro (2010-2013), you usually will reuse the OEM DRLs or fog lights (if an LS/LT) that the car came with for the upper fogs/drls on the ZL1 bumper. The kits almost always come with the correct lower ZL1 projector fogs though.

Also, I am not sure if the bumper absorber between model years would be the same or if any trimming would need to be done to the steel impact bar. I have seen a few people that had to do some minor cutting on those to get the bumper cover to fully seat, but that might have been on aftermarket ZL1 covers.

I haven't done this conversion yet, but I have done some research as it's one of my most wanted mods.

Not sure about the headlights or if any of the supports/brackets would need swapping out.
Thanks don’t much care about the DRL’s just need headlights. My impact bar has been changed to a light weight chromoly bar, absorber is gone. It’s a race car.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #7
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Thanks don’t much care about the DRL’s just need headlights. My impact bar has been changed to a light weight chromoly bar, absorber is gone. It’s a race car.
Nice setup....car, too!!

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote