Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-29-2019, 06:25 AM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Ford and GM merger, Is It Even Possible?

What do you think? Is this a possibility and if so what are the ramifications?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...AC1TSR?ocid=sf
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
KCelsius

Drives: 2018 Summit White 1SS 1LE
Not sure how regulators would even let this go through.
KCelsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:03 AM   #3
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
it would be a hard sell.... but anything is possible.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I saw that post on Facebook. I don't have anything against the merger, especially considering the mergers that could potentially be happening across the industry in general. My only concern would be innovation and technology sharing if they did merge. Other than that, I'm not one of those mindless people who think that all Ford's are garbage and all it'll do is bring down GM. Both companies make great vehicles and I think they would certainly benefit from being more cooperative and transparent with each other if they want to dominate the market without merging. I don't mean they should divulge their company secrets or anything but, we know that a hybrid Mustang is coming and GM asked folks how they'd feel about a hybrid Camaro power plant. I think if they played their cards right and timed it appropriately, they could introduce new, fundamentally different aspects such as that in a timed fashion.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Cool. They could call it AMC, merge the Mustang and Camaro, and call it a Javelin.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #6
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Cool concept, but wouldn't this be considered a monopoly by the government? I couldn't foresee this going through.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #7
staples87

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I saw that post on Facebook. I don't have anything against the merger, especially considering the mergers that could potentially be happening across the industry in general. My only concern would be innovation and technology sharing if they did merge. Other than that, I'm not one of those mindless people who think that all Ford's are garbage and all it'll do is bring down GM. Both companies make great vehicles and I think they would certainly benefit from being more cooperative and transparent with each other if they want to dominate the market without merging. I don't mean they should divulge their company secrets or anything but, we know that a hybrid Mustang is coming and GM asked folks how they'd feel about a hybrid Camaro power plant. I think if they played their cards right and timed it appropriately, they could introduce new, fundamentally different aspects such as that in a timed fashion.
Ford cars are for the most part garbage. Their trucks are the reason Ford stays afloat. This is the main reason they decided to get rid of most of their car models in the States.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
GM killed Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Buick is their key to China.

How does a merger with Ford help GM if it means selling Buick and GMC (as mentioned in the article)?
Quote:
While GM may have a future as a standalone car company over the next decade, Ford does not. Its market cap is down 42% over the past five years, while GM's is close to flat.
I grew up in a Ford household but never owned one myself. I've always thought that GM products were better. A merger with Ford would certianly mean killing the Camaro, because Mustang has better brand recognition, even though it is not the better sport car.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I don't think a full merger would make sense. Now if they wanted to do something like platform sharing or something along those lines to make cars that I could see.

But to actually merge and still keep everything going makes no sense. They Would have 3 divisions with pick up trucks, every division with SUVs and CUVs, 2.5 Luxury divisions. I think they would end up killing to many makes and models to make it work.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #10
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
as I said over on FB.. its MSN so it must be fake news.. lol.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
fadkar

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
One of the reason why the Camaro and Mustang are so good is because of the fierce competition between GM & Ford. Heck, GM gave me a "Ford Conquest discount" when I bought my Camaro for just owning a Mustang... I love that. Would hate to see that competition go.

Also, let's not kid ourselves. Both companies make their fair share of amazing performance vehicles & garbage econobox cars ��.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:11 AM   #12
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by staples87 View Post
Cool concept, but wouldn't this be considered a monopoly by the government? I couldn't foresee this going through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadkar View Post
One of the reason why the Camaro and Mustang are so good is because of the fierce competition between GM & Ford. Heck, GM gave me a "Ford Conquest discount" when I bought my Camaro for just owning a Mustang... I love that. Would hate to see that competition go.

Also, let's not kid ourselves. Both companies make their fair share of amazing performance vehicles & garbage econobox cars ��.
Agree with both! A merger probably wouldn't cut mustard with the FTC because it would create a Monopoly of sorts and this would reduce competition. On the other hand there remains Fiat/Chrysler with the Challenger to compete with a Mustaro. Lol!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Baldilocks01SS

Drives: SEARCHING
Won't be long before every car sold is an electric, self driving crossover that can only be distinguished by a brand logo on the front or back. They will truly be "auto"mobilies and it's going to suck.
Baldilocks01SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
The Auto industry in this country was once the driving force of our economy.
Frankly, I think it a shame that imported cars are being purchased by American citizens.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote