Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
delthawk5

Drives: 2019 2SS Crush
Am I going insane or is my 2SS massively uncomfortable?

I've driven my car about 1,000 miles now from new and I can't get past how damn uncomfortable it is just cruising along. My girlfriend has been complaining about it non-stop every time we drive somewhere, and now I'm becoming extremely aware of what she means. I can hear and feel every single bump, crack, dip, and slit on the road; even just cruising at speed on the highway. Living in a nice part of Florida, our roads aren't even that bad. I can feel just about every pebble even on smooth roads. It's starting to drive me nuts. I've driven my fair share of sports cars over the years, even with aggressively modified suspensions. There's just no way this car was designed to be THIS uncomfortable and noisy. It's making simple daily driving duties an annoyance.

The first obvious culprit are these run-flats, which I hate by default because well, run-flats.

The second thing, I'm starting to regret not getting the magnetic ride suspension; surely that would make a difference?

Am I being unfair here? Does the car need more time to settle? I planned on keeping the run flats until the rear went but now I'm just considering going for the nuclear option and replacing them right now. Does anyone have recommendations or can talk about the impact going from the runflats to non-RF?
delthawk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
B8TTYVILLEKID

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2 SS
I live in FLA and I dont notice it. It has a sports car ride but not harsh. Actually pretty smooth from what I expected even with the run flats. Not like my Cadillac but we take it on long rides and enjoy it.
B8TTYVILLEKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #3
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Drives like a dream compared to my truck in the 6 winter Months. Seriously I would have it checked out, Sounds a little harsh if you are used to other sporty cars and lopro tires
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Drove from TN to NH with my 72 yr old father in an ss 1le that was lowered on eibach springs in 1 day non stop except for fuel no issues what so ever
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
What do you have the suspension setting at? Hopefully you don't have in track setting....and what are your tire pressures at?? If too high that would make the run-flats very unbearable.

I have a SS/1LE and don't have any issues with ride quality. Before I got my 1LE I had 2SS no mag ride, so I've experienced driving both. For daily driving I don't think the mag ride makes much of a difference if the roads are good. The 2SS run flats were very noisy indeed, nature of the beast. I have driven both from NC to south Florida and both felt very well comfort-wise. imho, I'd bet it's the run-flats. There are a lot of good non-run-flat options out there

Last edited by nancygrl; 08-07-2020 at 09:01 PM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:48 PM   #6
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I’d say it’s the run flat tires.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Weather it be the V8, V6, or T4, I think the main problem (at least in my opinion) is the low profile sidewall and run flat tires. Change either one of those two things, and the ride is much different
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:53 PM   #8
delthawk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
What do you have the suspension setting at? Hopefully you don't have in track setting.

I have a SS/1LE and don't have any issues with ride quality. Before I got my 1LE I had 2SS no mag ride, so I've experienced driving both. The 2SS run flats were very noisy indeed, nature of the beast. I have driven both from NC to south Florida and both felt very well comfort-wise.
I have the standard suspension, so no adjust-ability. I drive in touring mode when highway cruising. Tire pressure is 35psi all around.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #9
nancygrl
雪の玉

I've never liked run-flats..no give in the sidewall....and some compliance in the sidewall does help with ride quality. For the 35 psi, are you going by the display or measured with a good tire pressure gauge? Reason I ask, is that I've found the tpms sensors can be off by a few psi, so I always set my tires with my trusty pressure gauge. Dealer overfilled tires one time on the 2017 2SS and by the time I got home the pressures were close to 40 but display read lower.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:18 PM   #10
delthawk5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
I've never liked run-flats..no give in the sidewall....and some compliance in the sidewall does help with ride quality. For the 35 psi, are you going by the display or measured with a good tire pressure gauge? Reason I ask, is that I've found the tpms sensors can be off by
a few psi, so I always set my tires with my trusty pressure gauge.
I’ll try out my pressure gauge tomorrow but I’ve mostly gone off the on board display which matched the air pump I used at Wawa. I’ll try knocking the pressure down just to test for improved comfort. Maybe 30 or 32psi.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
nancygrl
雪の玉

I have all seasons tires on my 1LE at 32 cold and they get up to about 34 hot. I had to do same pressures with the 2017 2SS with the run-flats when I had that car otherwise it was awful.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by delthawk5 View Post
I've driven my car about 1,000 miles now from new and I can't get past how damn uncomfortable it is just cruising along. My girlfriend has been complaining about it non-stop every time we drive somewhere, and now I'm becoming extremely aware of what she means. I can hear and feel every single bump, crack, dip, and slit on the road; even just cruising at speed on the highway. Living in a nice part of Florida, our roads aren't even that bad. I can feel just about every pebble even on smooth roads. It's starting to drive me nuts. I've driven my fair share of sports cars over the years, even with aggressively modified suspensions. There's just no way this car was designed to be THIS uncomfortable and noisy. It's making simple daily driving duties an annoyance.

The first obvious culprit are these run-flats, which I hate by default because well, run-flats.

The second thing, I'm starting to regret not getting the magnetic ride suspension; surely that would make a difference?

Am I being unfair here? Does the car need more time to settle? I planned on keeping the run flats until the rear went but now I'm just considering going for the nuclear option and replacing them right now. Does anyone have recommendations or can talk about the impact going from the runflats to non-RF?
[Should've got the magnetic ride, but I know that's not helpful at this point.]

I say ditch the runflats right now and get some good tires with softer sidewalls, you could even go up one size (255/40/20 front and 285/35/20 rear) for a bit more sidewall. I'm running Michelin PS4S tires, but it's definitely not the only choice. This will be a massive improvement over stock. Wifey never complains, we just did a 1000-mile roadtrip and she was pretty happy with the ride.

With that said, the car will never ride like an SUV or a luxury sedan, you will still sense the bumps, but they won't be overly uncomfortable.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
I’ll try out my pressure gauge tomorrow but I’ve mostly gone off the on board display which matched the air pump I used at Wawa. I’ll try knocking the pressure down just to test for improved comfort. Maybe 30 or 32psi.
Look in your drivers door jamb and the front and rear tire pressure should be listed on a sticker. I would check the tires when they are stone cold like sitting overnight to get accurate readings. I can tell you the runflats ride rough and like arpad_m said you might consider putting on different tires to get a better ride.👍
Old 08-07-2020, 09:41 PM   #14
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:

I’ve had a similar situation here in theMidwest, where the roads are paved with chuckholes and frost heaves - in everything from a MINI to a Corvette - and you’re right: Dumping the runflats and going to conventional high-performance tires will transform your car. Give the runflats to someone you don’t like.

As for the magnetic ride, my 1SS 1LE is the third car I’ve had with it - and, given the choice, I’ll never own another car without it.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote