Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
cirpower

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Anyone ever rented an U-Haul car trailer to take the ZL1 to the track?

Any experiences/feedback welcome. Looks like the ZL1 might be a bit low to load on a standard ZL1? cheers cirpower
cirpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 AM   #2
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
Any experiences/feedback welcome. Looks like the ZL1 might be a bit low to load on a standard ZL1? cheers cirpower
Not a ZL1 but have ripped several splitters off my m3 with the uhaul trailers. You’ll need some serious race ramps with the ZL1 splitter. You will also need to remove the stops at the front of the trailer or else the car will be too far back and you will have some serious sway due to lack of tongue weight.

The u haul trailers are a giant PITA to be honest with you! I learned the hard way. Look in the back of this picture, you’ll see the ramps i had to build for my m3.
Attached Images

Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
I'll second the removal of the stops on the trailer in front of the tires, and race ramps. I was lowered with 285/305's and a 1LE splitter, and ZL1 rockers. I will also suggest a good look at the trailer tires. We sat on the side of the hi-way for 3-4 hours waiting for the contracted tire service for Uhaul to show up while on our way to Watkins Glen. I even asked for a spare when picking up the trailer!! FWIW I did like the fold out/fold down trailer fender for better door swing
Attached Images

NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #4
Bohanan23

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS A8
and if you want to get hit with a bunch of hidden fees, go for it. Lol
Bohanan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
aronSlusa

Drives: '16 2SS
Used one and loved it!
‘16 SS, it hit the stops at the front, but was easy to unload by pulling up on the front end as someone slowly backed off the trailer, I just lifted up on my tow hook and it worked perfect. Smoothest trailer pull I’ve ever had
No hidden fees. Declined the insurance.
aronSlusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
You spent a lot of money on a car and trailers are cheap, just buy a nice trailer and don't put your car on a shit beat to hell uhaul please. This new was $2250 with brakes, led lights and steel deck, I added etrack for wheel straps and built a rock guard and can confidently pull down the highway with the cruise set at 85mph knowing the trailer is in good shape and the last person to use it didn't smash it into every curb on the road like a rental.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2020, 09:54 AM   #7
cirpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
You spent a lot of money on a car and trailers are cheap, just buy a nice trailer and don't put your car on a shit beat to hell uhaul please. This new was $2250 with brakes, led lights and steel deck, I added etrack for wheel straps and built a rock guard and can confidently pull down the highway with the cruise set at 85mph knowing the trailer is in good shape and the last person to use it didn't smash it into every curb on the road like a rental.
Very true! Thanks. My issue is that I might need to relocate internationally in a year, which puts a brake on those type of investments...
Old 05-20-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
cirpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Btw - I will be at Heartland Topeka on 30 May with NASA.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #9
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by cirpower View Post
Very true! Thanks. My issue is that I might need to relocate internationally in a year, which puts a brake on those type of investments...
Car trailers rarely lose value, in fact, the three that I have sold I've made a few bucks on.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote