Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
GoodGuyGrant

Drives: '18 2SS
HIGH MILEAGE OWNERS - Need Input

Hey Everyone,

I've got a 2018 2SS pretty well optioned, it was bought & paid for in full back in September of '18 so it has about a year and a month left of warranty. I've had some issues with the car that make me rethink my plan of owning it for at least 7+ years.

-The day I drove it off the lot (<100 miles) I was sideswipped in an intersection. The woman who hit me lied to her provider about it and I fought with insurance for a month to get the damage covered.
-Front headlight/fender/bumper absolutely smashed in a hit and run at a grocery store where there were no cameras covering the parking lot while I was inside shopping.
-A8 shudder (first flush complete, haven't put more than 300 miles on it since so can't tell if that will solve the issue for me)
-Most recently, a weld on my NPP midpipe broke. The car drops engine grime and grease through the cracked midpipe whenever it drives and has a nasty metal on metal grinding noise.

This recent exhaust issue occurred in early May and I dropped the car off to the dealership May 10th for a new NPP to be put on as per warranty/dealer recommendation. As of today I still have the dealer loaner, and my car still does not have a new exhaust. I just learned that the company that produces the NPP system either went bankrupt or just quit the contract with GM; there is nobody currently producing NPP exhaust systems or parts as no factory or company has taken up the contract.

Due to this, I want the input of owners who have some mid-high 5 digit numbers on their odometer. I've got just shy of 19K miles, and have no idea what to expect from long term reliability and cost of ownership due to maintenance. I don't track my car, the most I'd mod is an exhaust system. Any daily drivers have input?
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
Zr8000

Drives: Chevy Camaro
A dealer by me has a 1ss for 31,900. It is a 2017 with about the same mileage. I almost bought a loaded 2ss used in a 2016 this past April with the manual, 26,000 miles for 28999. Hope this helps
Zr8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
The exhaust story doesn't sound right to me. Faurecia makes the NPP and standard exhaust for the 6th gen Camaro. IF they are no longer producing the exhaust, then that means Camaro production assembly at LGR will stop once the pipeline runs out. I don't know for sure, but I really doubt this happened.

Who told you Faurecia went bankrupt?

Also, could the crack be welded or corrected without replacing the entire system?

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
GoodGuyGrant

Drives: '18 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
The exhaust story doesn't sound right to me. Faurecia makes the NPP and standard exhaust for the 6th gen Camaro. IF they are no longer producing the exhaust, then that means Camaro production assembly at LGR will stop once the pipeline runs out. I don't know for sure, but I really doubt this happened.

Who told you Faurecia went bankrupt?

Also, could the crack be welded or corrected without replacing the entire system?
I was told by the service director at Stingray Chevy. He might have meant a specific plant/factory was shut down rather than the whole company. Either way, since May 14th they've been searching for a replacement NPP system and none have been made and warehouses are out apparently.

Another thing to note is Stingray Chevy is a really reputable dealer in Florida. They're known for a very high volume of corvette sales, so I would think they should know more or less what they're talking about when it comes to camaro stuff too.

I'm not much of a mechanical guy beyond the basics; here's a pic of the damage. It's the brace on the right side pipe. Re-welding was never something the service department discussed with me. They also refused an aftermarket exhaust as a solution due to warranty.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #5
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
I've had my 1SS (M6) since August 2016 new...126k+ on the clock, mostly daily driver.

I had a total of 2 warranty claims on the car through my 100k extended warranty. First time was two bad injectors that needed replaced at 10k miles. Second was a noise in the rear end that ended up being loose axle nuts.

Since my warranty expired I have replaced the axle nuts a second time from them backing out (there are a couple of threads in this forum that make me think this is a design issue and not isolated incident). The only other non-maintenance replacement part I've bought on my own dime was a coolant temp sensor last month.

Otherwise I've kept up with maintenance pretty much by the book, changing fluids when needed and not much else. I have a catch can, an aftermarket exhaust, spoiler and now wheels. The engine itself is untouched.

All in all it has been a pretty great daily driver, I don't regret any of the time I've spent with it.

Stay away from 4th gen F-Bodies though if you value your sanity
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
ride_002000

Drives: 2016 F150
I have 37k on my 2018 2ss. Had the shudder taken care of last year and hasn't returned, just recently had an incident and have a small oil leak that the dealer is looking into tomorrow. Other than that it's been solid.
ride_002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
Redline_2ss

Drives: 2018 camaro 2ss
I have about 25k miles on mine daily driven with light mods.

Had an oil leak recently but it was just a loose bolt on the oil cooler. Other than regular maintenance I have not had any issues
Redline_2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #8
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Don’t know if you want only v8 opinions, but I’m sitting at 87k miles.

Issues I’ve had that I wish I was in warranty to cover were: shudder, coolant temperature sensor, exhaust noise (turned out to be one of my AFM valves and I just put on a different exhaust without them). The shudder I paid to have one flush almost a year ago and it hasn’t come back. The coolant sensor I bought but found out I’d have to take the intake manifold off for LGX so been putting it off.

Everything else has either been a result of me or the previous owner.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodGuyGrant View Post
I was told by the service director at Stingray Chevy. He might have meant a specific plant/factory was shut down rather than the whole company. Either way, since May 14th they've been searching for a replacement NPP system and none have been made and warehouses are out apparently.

Another thing to note is Stingray Chevy is a really reputable dealer in Florida. They're known for a very high volume of corvette sales, so I would think they should know more or less what they're talking about when it comes to camaro stuff too.

I'm not much of a mechanical guy beyond the basics; here's a pic of the damage. It's the brace on the right side pipe. Re-welding was never something the service department discussed with me. They also refused an aftermarket exhaust as a solution due to warranty.
Thanks for clarifying. I think that makes sense that the plant would have been shut down or maybe at reduced capacity over the last few months due to COVID. I recall there being another thread on here about that same issue with the exhaust.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #10
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K16SummitSS View Post
I've had my 1SS (M6) since August 2016 new...126k+ on the clock, mostly daily driver.
DAYMN I need more road trips. Only at around 15K on my 2016.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
2K16SummitSS
Resident Land Surveyor

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS - Summit White M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_johnny View Post
DAYMN I need more road trips. Only at around 15K on my 2016.
That's the price I pay for living 50 miles away from the workplace. Well worth it on the housing side, but my vehicles get the miles put on quick. I did pay cash for a little 05 Corolla recently, I split windshield time now between the two to keep the miles down on the SS. The only reason I'm not sitting at 140k+
2001 NBM Trans Am WS6, Wifey's Grocery Getter - Torquer V2 cam, Racetronix Fuel Pump, Yank 3000 Stall, Transgo 1-2 kit, TSP LTs, Magnaflow, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTIIs, Ed Wright tuned
2K16SummitSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #12
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
My wife has 90,000 on her 17 2SS with the only issue transmission shudder at 51,000 that was resolved with fluid change.
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #13
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Grant, I really don’t think you have much to worry about with your Camaro. You have a nice looking 2017 SS and I would keep her and enjoy the drive putting the miles on it. I’m really surprised the dealer didn’t just send the car to an exhaust shop to see if the crack could be welded up. Seems to me it could be repaired and not replaced but I’m no exhaust or welding expert and it’s strange that the bracket would come loose since the exhaust system is stainless. Maybe a bad weld or defect.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
And before I got the used ZL1 last year I had a 2016 2SS that had over 30,000 miles that I traded in on the ZL1 that the only thing that happened was replacement of 2 fuel injectors under warranty and of course buying a new set of tires to replace the worn out runflats. My 2016 did have major collision damage($18,000) though 6 months after buying it but was repaired and it performed and drove like it was new. I did have to spend some money to get the engine wiring harness repaired due to a bad repair by the body shop that my insurance company wouldn’t do an extra supplement on due to the time frame of the intial claim and also not being a preferred shop.