Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 02-01-2022, 01:55 PM   #8457
Roscoe1492

Drives: 2019 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
I don't know about the buy-backs but I've never had any issue with my GT500. I haven't been seeing many problems reported on the GT500 forums. Mostly people talking about how amazing their car is.
The main known issue from what I've seen is the DCT leaking fluid which is covered under warranty.

What's funny is my my new Redeye and ZL1 both left me stranded needing a tow. The Redeye at 150 miles driveshaft detached from the rear diff driving like grandma still breaker it in. The ZL1 had some funky Fuel system issue. Just unlucky factory defect issues.

As you know this is a terrible time to buy a car right now. I got a decent deal on my GT500 early last year but that was before the market went crazy.
There a are quite a few lemons listed on autotrader in my area. Most of them are still selling for over sticker.

Sad time to be in the market for a sports car for sure!
Roscoe1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:03 PM   #8458
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
I don't know about the buy-backs but I've never had any issue with my GT500. I haven't been seeing many problems reported on the GT500 forums. Mostly people talking about how amazing their car is.
The main known issue from what I've seen is the DCT leaking fluid which is covered under warranty.

What's funny is my my new Redeye and ZL1 both left me stranded needing a tow. The Redeye at 150 miles driveshaft detached from the rear diff driving like grandma still breaker it in. The ZL1 had some funky Fuel system issue. Just unlucky factory defect issues.

As you know this is a terrible time to buy a car right now. I got a decent deal on my GT500 early last year but that was before the market went crazy.
There is a post on a GT500 forum where several members were talking about their tranny issues. In some cases the trans was replaced but it took a few weeks to a few months. In other cases the car was bought back. I personally have seen 4 LLBBs. One due to a suspension issue with the driver side strut, one with the leaky DCT, another with some engine issue, and I forget what the 4th one was. Some of these LLBBs were simple, like the strut issue. Others seem to be much more complicated. And sure, they all have the warranty. But then what happens when it runs out? That DCT is a $25,000 piece of equipment. Although I don't want to mod to the moon, I do want to do a tune, LTs, and other mild stuff. So it worries me to see that there were soo many that had issues. And true you take that risk when you mod. But I never had that type of worry with my ZL1 or HC and both are over 760 RWHP. Never had an issue with either car.

I'm just thinking I might want to take a step back and do a little more research before commiting to it. And mainly because I know I'll want to mod it past the warranty. So it just might not be a good idea to jump into one until I know a bit more. But I have started to reconsider other modifiable cars like perhaps a C7. I even considered a Jag F Type R (575 HP AWD version). If I feel like I'm getting into an expensive car that I'm not going to mod then I don't think I'd want a GT500. Again the Jag or an AMG or a M5 or something might be better.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 04:45 PM   #8459
TXCSSU
Account Suspended

Drives: 2022 ZL1 M6/Nissan Leaf
I don't remember if this was already posted, but the professional race car driver's opinion at the 27:04 mark seems a little more trusting even though he mentioned frugality reasons.

TXCSSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:53 AM   #8460
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
There is a post on a GT500 forum where several members were talking about their tranny issues. In some cases the trans was replaced but it took a few weeks to a few months. In other cases the car was bought back. I personally have seen 4 LLBBs. One due to a suspension issue with the driver side strut, one with the leaky DCT, another with some engine issue, and I forget what the 4th one was. Some of these LLBBs were simple, like the strut issue. Others seem to be much more complicated. And sure, they all have the warranty. But then what happens when it runs out? That DCT is a $25,000 piece of equipment. Although I don't want to mod to the moon, I do want to do a tune, LTs, and other mild stuff. So it worries me to see that there were soo many that had issues. And true you take that risk when you mod. But I never had that type of worry with my ZL1 or HC and both are over 760 RWHP. Never had an issue with either car.

I'm just thinking I might want to take a step back and do a little more research before commiting to it. And mainly because I know I'll want to mod it past the warranty. So it just might not be a good idea to jump into one until I know a bit more. But I have started to reconsider other modifiable cars like perhaps a C7. I even considered a Jag F Type R (575 HP AWD version). If I feel like I'm getting into an expensive car that I'm not going to mod then I don't think I'd want a GT500. Again the Jag or an AMG or a M5 or something might be better.
Interesting about the LLBB for a suspension/side strut issue, never heard of any reports of that issue anywhere. You'd think that would be a simple fix, like replace the strut!?? I wonder if there's more going on with that car...

I did forget about the engine thing, a factory defect or assembly issue involving the timing chain tensioner. There is a simple check that rules that out with a scope or dental mirror that can be verified before buying the car. Mine does not have it and I haven't heard of any GT500's that have had engine failure due to it yet. More of a GT350 issue but worth checking for sure:
https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/20...ctions.196236/

IMO, the current GT500 is the best performing and satisfying car for around 100k from the factory with a warranty; but, no way I'd own this car without a warranty - (the engine and DCT are amazing but crazy expensive to fix out of warranty). The factory warranty can be extended of course.
This car takes very well to mods but no way I'd risk it due to the high dollar powertrain.
The good thing is this is the first car I've ever owned that I haven't felt the need to mod (Its been about a year now).

With the current terrible car market, this is a great time to sit back and do your research to ensure a car this expensive is right for you.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 02-02-2022 at 07:03 AM.
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 08:09 AM   #8461
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Interesting about the LLBB for a suspension/side strut issue, never heard of any reports of that issue anywhere. You'd think that would be a simple fix, like replace the strut!?? I wonder if there's more going on with that car...
According to the CarFax they did replace it but there was still an issue of squeakiness. Ford bought it back and reported that they fixed the issue. The BB might have been more for customer satisfaction than not being able to fix it. I'm not sure. But it is still listed as a LLBB and it has a sticker that is supposed to stay with the car stating it as such.

Quote:
I did forget about the engine thing, a factory defect or assembly issue involving the timing chain tensioner. There is a simple check that rules that out with a scope or dental mirror that can be verified before buying the car. Mine does not have it and I haven't heard of any GT500's that have had engine failure due to it yet. More of a GT350 issue but worth checking for sure:
https://www.fordgt500.com/threads/20...ctions.196236/
I will look into that.
Quote:
IMO, the current GT500 is the best performing and satisfying car for around 100k from the factory with a warranty; but, no way I'd own this car without a warranty - (the engine and DCT are amazing but crazy expensive to fix out of warranty). The factory warranty can be extended of course.
I'd say it is one of the best but not THE best. It is definitely a great all around performer and a good mix between the ZL1's handling and the Hellcat's power. And yea out of warranty they would be a huge strain on the pockets to fix.

Quote:
This car takes very well to mods but no way I'd risk it due to the high dollar powertrain.
The good thing is this is the first car I've ever owned that I haven't felt the need to mod (Its been about a year now).
Yea my ZL1 and HC both got me 3 years without wanting to mod. But eventually it bit me. I know the GT500 will be satisfying. But eventually I will want more.

Quote:
With the current terrible car market, this is a great time to sit back and do your research to ensure a car this expensive is right for you.
Again, it isn't the price of the car. My concern is towards the stories I have been reading these past few days. I certainly don't want something that's gonna become a nightmare.

I'm still considering it. I'd say I'm on the fence and am leaning towards the purchase side. But I'm just trying to be cautious and learn more before I go signing anything.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:32 AM   #8462
L99BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
According to the CarFax they did replace it but there was still an issue of squeakiness. Ford bought it back and reported that they fixed the issue. The BB might have been more for customer satisfaction than not being able to fix it. I'm not sure. But it is still listed as a LLBB and it has a sticker that is supposed to stay with the car stating it as such.

I will look into that.

I'd say it is one of the best but not THE best. It is definitely a great all around performer and a good mix between the ZL1's handling and the Hellcat's power. And yea out of warranty they would be a huge strain on the pockets to fix.

Yea my ZL1 and HC both got me 3 years without wanting to mod. But eventually it bit me. I know the GT500 will be satisfying. But eventually I will want more.
What's best is of course subjective but have you actually driven a GT500 yet? I guess what I meant by "best" is the acceleration. I cant think of a new car with a factory warranty that's faster from a roll for around $100K, and the braking performance is even more impressive. The ZL1 did seem to little better and is lighter. The GT500/stang has the best visibility compared to the challenger and camaro. The DCT is amazing to operate as well but the factory set-up isn't optimal for 60 ft times, even on a tire. The HC/RE challenger, especially charger wins in low-end torque and practicality dept.
I bought the ZL1 without test driving unfortunately. I found the WOT experience very underwhelming and wanted to mod right away or sell it TBH.
I regretted trading my Hellcat in for it at the time. (BTW, no offense to the ZL1/owners, it is a great car, just not my cup of tea!)

The GT500 has amazed me from day one and continues to, to this day. I even love it more now than when bought it.
You may be overthinking but this is a huge purchase so I understand! Most owners are VERY satisfied. Check out the GT500 forums and you'll see what I mean.

That one LLBB with only a strut issue might be a great deal actually if that's truly all it was!

You seem to be a V8 man but have you considered the new M3 xdrive? They are fast with basic bolt-ons, like high 9sec ET at 140 mph...Much more practical and not too loud. They are just getting started with this platform. I think a nice option if you can get over the fugly front end

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 02-02-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #8463
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
What's best is of course subjective but have you actually driven a GT500 yet? I guess what I meant by "best" is the acceleration. I cant think of a new car with a factory warranty that's faster from a roll for around $100K, and the braking performance is even more impressive. The ZL1 did seem to little better and is lighter. The GT500/stang has the best visibility compared to the challenger and camaro. The DCT is amazing to operate as well but the factory set-up isn't optimal for 60 ft times, even on a tire. The HC/RE challenger, especially charger wins in low-end torque and practicality dept.
I bought the ZL1 without test driving unfortunately. I found the WOT experience very underwhelming and wanted to mod right away or sell it TBH.
I regretted trading my Hellcat in for it at the time. (BTW, no offense to the ZL1/owners, it is a great car, just not my cup of tea!)

The GT500 has amazed me from day one and continues to, to this day. I even love it more now than when bought it.
You may be overthinking but this is a huge purchase so I understand! Most owners are VERY satisfied. Check out the GT500 forums and you'll see what I mean.

That one LLBB with only a strut issue might be a great deal actually if that's truly all it was!

You seem to be a V8 man but have you considered the new M3 xdrive? They are fast with basic bolt-ons, like high 9sec ET at 140 mph...Much more practical and not too loud. They are just getting started with this platform. I think a nice option if you can get over the fugly front end

The only Bimmer I'd buy is the M5, M6, M8, or X6M. LOL!!

And ok from your POV about roll ons yea I will agree that for the price I do not think anything will beat a GT500 on a roll stock to stock. Maybe a Redeye can keep up with them.

I probably am overthinking it but like you said, this is a big purchase. I had no doubts when I bought my ZL1 and none when I got my HC. And I was all in on the GT500 until a fellow member of a FB page shared a link with me on the trans issues. It did not deter me completely. It kinda just made me take a step back and rethink things and see if I could do some more research.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:59 PM   #8464
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

This (the bolded part) is interesting. ZL1s are as quick as Hellcat Challengers in a straight line up to about 130 mph. For some reason ZL1s do fall off pretty hard past 130 mph compared to other similarly performing cars. I wonder if your ZL1 had air in the intercooler circuit that never allowed it to make full hp even at lower speeds. That would be something you'd never know if you didn't know to check it.

The GT500 is definitely the roll race champ under $100k until the C8 Z06 comes out, which will probably trap similar to the GT500. A Redeye is close, though, but not close in handling or looks IMO.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:00 AM   #8465
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
The GT500 is definitely the roll race champ...
Up to 180 MPH.

Old 02-03-2022, 07:13 AM   #8466
L99BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
This (the bolded part) is interesting. ZL1s are as quick as Hellcat Challengers in a straight line up to about 130 mph. For some reason ZL1s do fall off pretty hard past 130 mph compared to other similarly performing cars. I wonder if your ZL1 had air in the intercooler circuit that never allowed it to make full hp even at lower speeds. That would be something you'd never know if you didn't know to check it.

The GT500 is definitely the roll race champ under $100k until the C8 Z06 comes out, which will probably trap similar to the GT500. A Redeye is close, though, but not close in handling or looks IMO.
The ZL1 is definitely as quick as the Hellcat to 130 but it didn't feel that way to me (sotp and sense of acceleration), very strange...
I've never driven any other ZL1's, so maybe there was something wrong with it. At times it seem/feel much quicker than my 16' camaro SS did, very disappointing to say the least... The mph was moving at a pretty good rate however so who knows
The icing on the cake was my new ZL1 had a weird fuel system issue due to a factory defect that left me stranded needing a tow. I then started nitpicking things like the small cramped feeling interior, poor visibility, non reclining seat and thin steering wheel; I had a way out at the time to sell it without losing any money so I went with it. If the car had felt fast I may have had a different attitude!

Results from when I Dragy tested my Redeye and GT500 in similar air (around +200 DA) and same /location road:

Redeye narrowbody (lightest) best 60-130 - 7.9 sec no passenger, but would usually run low to mid 8sec)
GT500 best 60-130 - 7.1 (with some spin in second and the 2nd-3rd shift, with a 150 lbs passenger...) I think a high 6 sec is possible on a tire and no passenger. That was a best but would consistently get 7.3-7.4.

After the 130 the GT500 pulls harder as well

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
- slow

Last edited by L99BEN; 02-03-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:28 AM   #8467
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Blaq - sell your 3 cars and get a 720S and laugh at these domestics every time you mash the throttle. It's lighter, faster, and the experience is far beyond what these cars can bring you. The kicker, it won't cost you anymore in total depreciation or maintenance as all 3 and now 4 add up to more than the 720 anyway.

I have 2 good friends that went this route with zero regrets (both had fast C7s, 950rwhp ZL1s, GT500s etc).
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #8468
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Blaq - sell your 3 cars and get a 720S and laugh at these domestics every time you mash the throttle. It's lighter, faster, and the experience is far beyond what these cars can bring you. The kicker, it won't cost you anymore in total depreciation or maintenance as all 3 and now 4 add up to more than the 720 anyway.

I have 2 good friends that went this route with zero regrets (both had fast C7s, 950rwhp ZL1s, GT500s etc).
That'll do. I was going to suggest he sell his cars and put the funds towards a '21 or '22 911 Turbo S. Quicker than his modified cars, and much nicer. Will easily walk a GT500 from a roll, and is about as quick as a Tesla Model S Plaid from 0-60 mph. Nearly untouchable on the street with launch control.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:12 AM   #8469
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I agree! ...or a GT3, a guy at our local autox just got one. If you can get an allocation you'll pay ~$50-100k under market value right now! IMO Blaq would be best off with a Turbo S or a similar car not intended to be primarily a track toy.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #8470
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Great suggestions from Idaho and Dave.

720S might be more readily available than some of the P-Cars, but these suggestions are all infinitely better than another Mustang, Challenger, or Camaro
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote