Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-06-2024, 08:12 AM   #1
legendary70

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Anyone else...

Hello all.

2017 Camaro.

I am going to try and explain the issue the best i can.

According to a guy at autozone who also is the mechanic for the local police dept said it is a known issue because of the fuel system in these cars.

When we are on the highway or some sort of a long stretch whether its 1 mile or 50 the car seems to make a sound like its reving up and down and it shakes a bit. Hard to explain.

We need to either let go a bit off the gas to press it for it to go and then it comes right back. Does not do it on stop and go traffic.

Any ideas?

Thx
Old 03-06-2024, 08:31 AM   #2
jd2021

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
What transmission do you have? If you have an 8 speed automatic, sounds like its a transmission shudder issue. I have never heard of anyone having fuel system issues like you're describing.
jd2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:37 AM   #3
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Not sure what the issue but thats definitely not normal. The fuel system in these cars are very strong for factory fuel systems.

Does it sound or feel like its misfiring and sputtering?
Do you have any shuddering?
How long has it been doing this?

My car never did what you described and I have a 2017 as well. I have had the infamous torque convert shudder and slipping torque converter. You 'may' have a slipping converter if its an auto. Those were known issues for 16 thru 18 models.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:40 AM   #4
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Automatic trans?

Some people say they can't feel AFM/DFM in GM's modern V8's. I could feel it all the time in a 5.3 Silverado I had when driving on the freeway. These cars have AFM, yes?
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:47 AM   #5
legendary70

Its more of a sputtering than a misfire. Its been doing it for about 4 months on an off. Automatic and yes I think its an 8 speed.

only on long stretches.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:58 AM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Sounds like the A8 shudder. There is at least a service bulletin out for dealers on that and a very long thread here on the forum.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:23 AM   #7
scott_0

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue Metallic SS 1le
must be just your car, or an automatic thing, my 2018 1le is dead smooth under those circumstances...
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:59 AM   #8
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Automatic trans?

Some people say they can't feel AFM/DFM in GM's modern V8's. I could feel it all the time in a 5.3 Silverado I had when driving on the freeway. These cars have AFM, yes?
The newer version that the C8 vette’s and trucks have (DFM) maybe but for us with AFM I can definitely tell when it’s switched from v8 to v4 mode on the highway at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Sounds like the A8 shudder. There is at least a service bulletin out for dealers on that and a very long thread here on the forum.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...63890-9999.pdf

Essentially, flush the transmission through the dealer and if it comes back replace the torque converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Sounds like the AFM. I have never personally felt it in my car, but given when it's happening to you, that seems like a likely culprit. Can't you turn the AFM off? I thought there was a tool to do that via OBD. (If I recall Lethal has a video on it.). I guess you could try that and see if it still happens... If it does then it's probably the A8 Shutter.
There’s Range AFM OBD devices to deactivate AFM, a tune works too if by chance you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
must be just your car, or an automatic thing, my 2018 1le is dead smooth under those circumstances...
It’s an A8 thing if not treated it’ll develop the shudder, M6 didn’t have the issue and A10 doesn’t either

To OP, my 2016 had the shudder. I paid for the transmission flush (~$300) since I was out of powertrain warranty. Unfortunately after about a year the shudder returned, I then had AFM turned off in a tune and didn’t have any shudder issues for the following years
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:50 AM   #9
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary70 View Post
According to a guy at autozone who also is the mechanic for the local police dept said it is a known issue because of the fuel system in these cars.

When we are on the highway or some sort of a long stretch whether its 1 mile or 50 the car seems to make a sound like its reving up and down and it shakes a bit. Hard to explain.
Could be several things. agree with others here, some combination of torque converter shudder and AFM going in-and-out seems most likely.

I will assume your autozone friend is referring to the AFM system, which is used across many GM vehicles. Many people are sensitive to its behavior and find it annoying.

"revving" changes you should be able to see on the tachometer when you hear them. If the tach doesn't move, the noise is not revving.

It might be worth having your autozone contact hook up a scan tool to see if there are any pending codes.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:06 AM   #10
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
It is the shudder issue. If you have driven it a long time while it has done this there is a chance the torque convertor was damaged also. I would get it flushed with the proper fluid and go from there. Good information from others stated in here also
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM   #11
legendary70

Thank you all. I will look into al of this.

Would any of these issues give a check engine light?

I sometimes get a check engine but only for the thermostat and when it does the ac don work unless i reset the battery.
Old 03-06-2024, 12:42 PM   #12
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
I sometimes get a check engine but only for the thermostat and when it does the ac don work unless i reset the battery.
I think you should get the thermostat replaced if that is a known problem. it is apparently not that big of a job on the V8.
The AFM system only works when car is fully warmed. If the car detects a thermostat problem, and you get the symptoms you describe, it is probably not AFM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:09 PM   #13
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Thank you all. I will look into al of this.

Would any of these issues give a check engine light?

No check engine light for the shudder, that’s a seperate issue where the thermostat should be replaced. I also had the same issue but kept going for years with just resetting the battery without issue
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:37 PM   #14
Jimmy'18

Drives: 2011 Silverado
Quote:
Hello all.

2017 Camaro.

I am going to try and explain the issue the best i can.

We need to either let go a bit off the gas to press it for it to go and then it comes right back. Does not do it on stop and go traffic.

Any ideas?

Thx

Sounds like my '18 behaved at around 3k miles on the clock. It was only on the highway going a steady speed and either lightly increasing throttle, or holding a steady speed (like cruise control) and climbing a slight hill. When you let off the gas, the torque converter will unlock and it feels fine until it locks up again in 3 seconds or so when the throttle is returned to cruising speed. The converter won't lock driving around town.

Being that yours is a 2017, if you've never had the updated Mobil 1 tranny flush, I can almost guarantee this is your problem. The factory-fill Mobil 1 (if I remember correctly) supposedly absorbs moisture on its own over time and causes slippage of the converter lock up - which feels like an engine miss or tiny rumble strips on the road. The rpm change is likely from clutch slippage.

Thanks to this site, I knew what was going on and had it flushed and it went away permanently. This was over 4 years ago.

Stock for now
Jimmy'18 is offline   Reply With Quote