Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Drives: Tahoe RST
Camaro vs Mustang

How does the Camaro stack up against the new Mustang.

1). Straight line performance
2). Track performance
3). Interior
4). Features
huggercamaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
IOMike

Drives: 2022 F150, 87 Monte Carlo
Not sure if serious.
IOMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggercamaro21 View Post
How does the Camaro stack up against the new Mustang.

1). Straight line performance
2). Track performance
3). Interior
4). Features
1. Still not sure on weights yet. But they will be comparable. Camaro has + 20 hp and +55 torque. Also an 8 speed auto available. It won't be a trouncing but the camaro should have at least a couple tenth and couple mph advantage in the quarter. 0-60 is such a short distance I'm guessing they will be within a couple tenth here as well. The car should be as quick as a scat pack or srt8 6.4 worst case scenario. If I had to guess it should just edge out these cars as well.

2. If gm isn't lying we should have the edge here as well. The new ss is faster than the old 1le according to gm. Probably with mrc option. Base to base I would bet on the camaro as well. Not sure if the base ss will beat a pp gt on a track... I would think no. It's the base package and has to suit the average driver. Can't be too harsh.

3. Personal preference. They are both nice. I've just heard a lot of mustang guys not impressed by the panel gaps though. Camaro yet to be seen in production form...

4. Haven't looked into or added up every feature between the two. Both have nice features from what I've read.

Last edited by ULTRAZLS1; 05-30-2015 at 04:50 PM.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #4
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMike View Post
Not sure if serious.
Why would I not be serious?
Old 05-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #5
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggercamaro21 View Post
Why would I not be serious?
Because you're asking people to compare a car that has not even seen a production version on the roads to a car that is actually on showroom floors today?

That means any data regarding the Gen6 Camaro versus the Gen6 Mustang is speculation, at this point.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
huggercamaro21
Sales Manager for Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
Because you're asking people to compare a car that has not even seen a production version on the roads to a car that is actually on showroom floors today?

That means any data regarding the Gen6 Camaro versus the Gen6 Mustang is speculation, at this point.
Obviously I wasn't looking for concrete answers. Just to open up some fun discussions.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:01 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
So even though there are 98 other threads speculating on most of these things separately, let's pile on...........

From what we've been told by GM, the SS is turning faster lap times at the MRC than the current 1LE. We can deduce from a few magazine comparisons that the current 1LE is as fast or faster around the track than the Mustang with the track pack. From that we can conclude that the SS will be a better car around the track than the Mustang with it's track pack. However, 2 things come into play. First, GM has 5 months give or take to tune the car even better. Second, and more importantly, we have no idea what Ford is doing to make the Mustang better for 2016. Likely not much as it's only a year into production and they've spent their time and resources on the GT350 and 350R.

We also know that GM has pretty much every bell and whistle know to man other than active braking. GM has a configurable 8" screen in the cluster, MR Shocks and a few other features the Mustang does not have. Not having gone through a Mustang order sheet, I can't say if there are features or options the Mustang has not announced for the Camaro.

We know the Camaro has more HP and Torque. We know the Camaro has an 8 speed automatic (Mustang will likely catch up here at some point).

We don't know final weights, pricing or FE numbers. Pricing and FE will play a big part in sales of the cars against each other.

We also know GM will launch with a far superior V6 engine to the Mustang.

The big overall difference if you count the whole model line is the V6/L4 play. Fords L4 is optional. GM's is base.

So for features and performance, the Camaro should be equal or better to the Mustang. I can't come up with anything right away where the Mustang is superior to the Camaro.

Styling for exterior and interior will be in the eye of the beholder.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 AM   #8
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
From what I've read no changes in 2016 for gt that will change performance. Same price also. CS package and some other things. No increase in performance.

I know that line lock is standard for the gt... We don't have that.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Yeah that's what my local Ford dealer said too...just appearance packages. My guess is Ford is going to watch how the Camaro does later this year and early next year so they can tailor the 2017 Mustang to either bring it up to par with the Camaro or slightly pass it.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Yeah that's what my local Ford dealer said too...just appearance packages. My guess is Ford is going to watch how the Camaro does later this year and early next year so they can tailor the 2017 Mustang to either bring it up to par with the Camaro or slightly pass it.
Whatever they are doing for 2017 they working in now.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
I'd be working on direct-injecting that Coyote, making the MRC available on the GT, and finishing up on that 10 spd transmission if I were Ford.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Camaro will be better performer when compared to the current model in straight line and turns when using mrc.

Otherwise my opinion but I think camaro is better in every way in terms of questions you are asking.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:05 AM   #13
ecoswag1990

Drives: 2015 Mustang EB Performance Pack
LOL this thread is hilarious. As IOmike said, how do you expect to have a serious comparison between a car that nobody even knows much about to a car that has been out for over 6 months on a forum filled with camaro fan boys?
Ford Racing Catback
ecoswag1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #14
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoswag1990 View Post
LOL this thread is hilarious. As IOmike said, how do you expect to have a serious comparison between a car that nobody even knows much about to a car that has been out for over 6 months on a forum filled with camaro fan boys?
Take it back to the almost 200 page thread on the Mustang forum.. They seem to know how shitty the Camaro will be.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote