Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-22-2024, 09:14 AM   #15
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Has there actually been a really unreliable Chevy small-block V8? Serious question, I can't really think of any in modern history except for some concerns around early AFM/DoD, both old-school (70's) and again in the 2010's.

My only curiosity would be the A10 transmission as it's still "relatively" new, but Ford and GM put a lot of money into it.

Even if it needed to be replaced at 100k, I'm not sure that would steer me away from buying a Camaro. Life is short, and while it's important to look out for health and finances, a chancy possibility that an A10 could go south in 5-10 years registers very low concern for me personally.

Or, do like I did, and skip the auto
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:14 AM   #16
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamical View Post
But seeing how this is a thread about "reliability" I think it would be appropriate to mention you just got a new motor. Sorry, not trying to be a dick

Well shit, if 1/4 mile passes are an indication, then my rear should be toast too
It was self inflicted, wheel hop is a bad thing and I take full responsibility for my actions and it was all 1/8th passes. Not the best track prep did not help either:(
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:30 PM   #17
len_eng

Drives: 2024 Radiant Red 2SS, 1994 Z28,
I traded my 2021 2SS with 84,500 miles and the car was pretty much bullet proof. The only issue that I ran into was the replacement of the panoramic rear view mirror camera twice, both times it was handled under warranty.
len_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:11 PM   #18
olrocker

Drives: People crazy with my sexiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by len_eng View Post
I traded my 2021 2SS with 84,500 miles and the car was pretty much bullet proof. The only issue that I ran into was the replacement of the panoramic rear view mirror camera twice, both times it was handled under warranty.
84,500 miles on a 2021?? Where do you drive to work every day? Alaska? Lol
Sharkskin/Light gray
Moonroof/Navi/NPP/Mag Ride/Red Brake Calipers
Gray painted split spoke wheels
Illuminated footwells/illuminated bowtie
olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:16 PM   #19
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Has there actually been a really unreliable Chevy small-block V8? Serious question, I can't really think of any in modern history except for some concerns around early AFM/DoD, both old-school (70's) and again in the 2010's.

My only curiosity would be the A10 transmission as it's still "relatively" new, but Ford and GM put a lot of money into it.

Even if it needed to be replaced at 100k, I'm not sure that would steer me away from buying a Camaro. Life is short, and while it's important to look out for health and finances, a chancy possibility that an A10 could go south in 5-10 years registers very low concern for me personally.

Or, do like I did, and skip the auto

LOL I totally read this backwards at first and was getting all defensive.

But you are right, Chevy's small block V8s are such reliable designs and have been for decades. Tried and true. Even though the opti spark was a.. less ideal situation, the rest of that gen LT1 engine was solid.

While all the electronics scare me in these new cars, I still have a good feeling about the engine and transmission at least (I feel GM has a track record of making solid manual transmissions as well)
speedyink1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:41 PM   #20
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcmahan60 View Post
It was self inflicted, wheel hop is a bad thing and I take full responsibility for my actions and it was all 1/8th passes. Not the best track prep did not help either:(
I have 114k on my 2017 SS and my trust washers/shims in my rear end broke, and the thing about it is the differential is perfectly fine most likely. The problem is GM went with a GKN unit, probably a cost decision I'm sure, and basically nothing besides gasket and seal is replaceable. If anything happens you have to replace the whole thing. If they could have stayed with the AAM unit in the 5th gen I think it would have been fine. The driveshaft carrier/center bearing is also crap too. I think though with someone who drives normally, no launching/burnouts, I don't think they would have any issues.

The other thing you have to look out for is I think there was some bad heater/coolant hoses put in. The oil cooler rubber hose in between the cooler on the oil pan and water pump cracks in two and all of your coolant comes out. If you aren't a driver that pays attention, you could overheat it fast and ruin your motor.

You'll find a bunch of BS about how the 8L90 transmission is going to instantly explode and all of that. The transmission does have issues from a shift quality perspective that are because of sorry calibration and programming. But once you switch to the correct blue label fluid you will have zero issues. I think one person did say they had to change their transmission temp sensor which I think was a common issue as well but it doesn't mean the transmission is ruined or needs a rebuild.

Either way these are issues that should in no way have happened but they did and they really take a toll on the perceived reliability from a outsider perspective who isn't well informed.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:46 AM   #21
dmcmahan60

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
I have 114k on my 2017 SS and my trust washers/shims in my rear end broke, and the thing about it is the differential is perfectly fine most likely. The problem is GM went with a GKN unit, probably a cost decision I'm sure, and basically nothing besides gasket and seal is replaceable. If anything happens you have to replace the whole thing. If they could have stayed with the AAM unit in the 5th gen I think it would have been fine. The driveshaft carrier/center bearing is also crap too. I think though with someone who drives normally, no launching/burnouts, I don't think they would have any issues.

The other thing you have to look out for is I think there was some bad heater/coolant hoses put in. The oil cooler rubber hose in between the cooler on the oil pan and water pump cracks in two and all of your coolant comes out. If you aren't a driver that pays attention, you could overheat it fast and ruin your motor.

You'll find a bunch of BS about how the 8L90 transmission is going to instantly explode and all of that. The transmission does have issues from a shift quality perspective that are because of sorry calibration and programming. But once you switch to the correct blue label fluid you will have zero issues. I think one person did say they had to change their transmission temp sensor which I think was a common issue as well but it doesn't mean the transmission is ruined or needs a rebuild.

Either way these are issues that should in no way have happened but they did and they really take a toll on the perceived reliability from a outsider perspective who isn't well informed.
Well stated man! Thanks for the input. And it has a welded ring gear that is not serviceable either, that ia another flaw with this rear diff.
dmcmahan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:03 AM   #22
Justcruising

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
I have 99.234 miles on my 2019 2SS, it is tuned with headers and full Stainless Works exhaust, rotofab intake, ported intake and throttle body and the only thing I’ve had to do so far is regular maintenance.
Justcruising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 06:59 AM   #23
Dynamical

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justcruising View Post
I have 99.234 miles on my 2019 2SS, it is tuned with headers and full Stainless Works exhaust, rotofab intake, ported intake and throttle body and the only thing I’ve had to do so far is regular maintenance.
What fuel? Any E?

2022 Camaro LT1 A10 - Drag Pack/AxleBack -11.849@118.67MPH/1.798 60'
2001 Camaro SS A4 - HCI/Stall/Bolt-on/Gear/Tune/DR/Diet - 429HP/392TQ - 10.99@123.58MPH/1.584 60'
1998 Camaro Z28 A4 - Bolt-on
1999 Camaro Z28 A4 - Stock

FJB
Dynamical is offline   Reply With Quote